• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tim Duncan Retires after 19 Years in NBA

Would Tim Duncan be the greatest Deacon of all-time, surpassing Arnold Palmer, if he came back to wake as an assistant coach? If he did, I can't imagine a single power forward/center saying no to DM and TD.

That would be redundant. I'd love to see TD go learn from and established and proven HC and come to wake as HC in the future. Do not want to taint him with the stinch that's still on our program. I don't know if he wants to coach but IMO he would coach circles around DM or Chill. He was basically asst coach for two decades to one of the greatest nba coaches of all time. If he does decide to coach I bet he stays in the nba though.

Yeah, I'd be astonished if TD ever coached in college - doesn't seem like the kind of guy who wants to recruit HS kids 24/7. I doubt he'd coach in the pros either. More likely a front office job somewhere in the NBA.

That would be redundant. I'd love to see TD go learn from and established and proven HC and come to wake as HC in the future. Do not want to taint him with the stinch that's still on our program. I don't know if he wants to coach but IMO he would coach circles around DM or Chill. He was basically asst coach for two decades to one of the greatest nba coaches of all time. If he does decide to coach I bet he stays in the nba though.

Duncan would get HAMMERED on this board for not showing enough emotion on the sidelines.

I think Duncan would be much more likely to come back to Wake in some faculty role over BB position.

Would Tim Duncan be the greatest Deacon of all-time, surpassing Arnold Palmer, if he came back to wake as an assistant coach? If he did, I can't imagine a single power forward/center saying no to DM and TD.

Would he need to do that to surpass Palmer? Five NBA Championships vs. 7 majors?

He'll never coach (or join faculty) in any position.

I can see him living in san antonio and coming to the spurs facility to work with the big men now and then when they are in town.

I remember TD's first exhibition game. He didn't look great. He got his hands on a lot of rebounds but fumbled quite a few. Obviously, it must have been nerves.

He averaged almost 10 PPG a game as a freshman but a lot of it was on putbacks and dunks. There were many times he'd get it on the blocks and pass it right out, not yet confident in his post game.

The first time he caused me to say, "holy shit!" was when, as a freshman, he pinned Sharon Wright against the backboard nonchalantly. His defense and shotblocking were impressive right out of the gate. The ability to block shots and keep it in bounds. To contest so many opportunities and foul so rarely. Even his fouls could be argued because he would get so much hand on the ball. There were very few times (and, to be fair, Newton was one on a couple occasions) where a center would go 1:1 with TD and score against him. He was that dominant.

Randolph made the national team in 94 after TD's freshman year and ended up getting injured. For some reason, Tim ended up being his replacement. It seemed odd to replace a G with a C, especially since Tim wasn't considered that caliber a player yet. I remember watching that national team play against Dream Team 2 (?) and seeing TD get the ball in the post and, rather than pass it right out as he had done so much that year, he executed a perfect drop step and hook shot. Against an NBA player. I think he also blocked Shaq or Alonzo Mourning at the rim in that game. The progress he had made just seemed incredible.

By the time his sophomore season came around, he was making confident post moves with regularity. Obviously, Randolph was the #1 option that year but TD was so efficient in the chances that he got. As most know, by the time the season ended, TD was predicted to be the #1 draft pick if he left early as a sophomore.

My virtual assistant didn't have a chance to fact check my memory here so I hope the details are somewhat accurate.

Timmy was clearly the third best recruit (at the time) in his class:

Makhtar Ndjaye
Ricardo Peral
Tim Duncan

Edit to add: it was not the 20/20 lines as a sophomore, but the way Tim gave the Fifth best center in the nba (mourning) fits in that scrimmage - I knew then we had a very, very special player.

Last edited:
Tough call on TD vs Palmer

Arnie was the most charismatic person in a sport that was just beginning to be a spectator sport. "Arnie's Army" was probably the first really big group of golf spectators. In addition, Arnie was the guy who really made golf a "must watch" TV sport. And he has been willing to be a prominent, outspoken supporter of Wake, in many visible ways. Most obviously, he endowed the Buddy Worsham golf scholarships which gave Wake a big advantage in men's golf over many schools for a long time. Tim hasn't (I hope its just not yet) made himself a visible strong supporter of Wake.

Duncan would get HAMMERED on this board for not showing enough emotion on the sidelines.

Nah. That's what fans do when a coach sucks and the team is not performing. It's low hanging fruit. DM catches flack because he hasn't shown he knows what he's doing and we lose alot. The only time you hear complaints about not caring enough is when teams lose. I could give a shit about all that. Be stoic and lose you are a bad coach. Be stoic and win and you are a philosopher king. Tim's demeanor is irrelevant. He knows basketball and has displayed it at the highest level there is.

I don't think Tim's personality is a good fit for coaching, but I would love to see Tim work the refs.

I don't think Tim's personality is a good fit for coaching, but I would love to see Tim work the refs.

I don't know if it is either. But he would be better than anyone we've had on staff since Prosser. I'd take that. And maybe better. Listen to how his demeanor impacted young players in San Antonio. No one can know who will be a great coach but he has better odds than most. If he wants it...

hah, Duncan has been retired for one day and we are already speculating that he will be a HC at wake one day. hilarious!

Arnie was the most charismatic person in a sport that was just beginning to be a spectator sport. "Arnie's Army" was probably the first really big group of golf spectators. In addition, Arnie was the guy who really made golf a "must watch" TV sport. And he has been willing to be a prominent, outspoken supporter of Wake, in many visible ways. Most obviously, he endowed the Buddy Worsham golf scholarships which gave Wake a big advantage in men's golf over many schools for a long time. Tim hasn't (I hope its just not yet) made himself a visible strong supporter of Wake.

Timmy gave Wake four years and two ACC Championships. Advantage Timmy.

About a minute in but I'm sure everyone here will like this , given that Pop is tearing up

TD is the best basketball player ever from WF, obviously. Arnie is the greatest sports figure from WF, period! And, one who has proven himself to be a true fan of Wake athletics.

Back