• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Tim Duncan Retires after 19 Years in NBA

Not surprising this is how he chooses to do it, no press conference, no good-bye tour. Just a simple announcement. Its the same way he announced he was coming back after his junior year at Wake. Always a class act and never one to want the spotlight.

Was a pleasure to watch him play for four years at WFU and to be able to say I graduated in the same class as he. My interest in the NBA just diminished greatly.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/tim-duncan

Nineteen seasons. Five rings. One team.

Duncan has led the Spurs to the best winning percentage in sports over the past two decades. On Monday, he announced his retirement.

Behind Duncan, the Spurs have reached the playoffs in every one of his 19 seasons and won 50 or more games in the past 17 seasons, the longest streak in NBA history.

Duncan is a two-time NBA MVP, 15-time All-Star, 15-time All-NBA selection and 15-time All-Defensive team selection. He holds Spurs records for points, blocks and rebounds.

Coach Gregg Popovich and Duncan began building trust shortly after Duncan was drafted, as Pop went to St. Croix to meet with his newest player for a few days. They swam and spoke about life rather than basketball.

"I really cherish that time," Popovich said to Sports Illustrated in 2012. "It was like an instant respect and understanding of each other. Almost like we were soul mates."

2007/ Photo by Andrew D. Bernstein, NBA

They have referred to their relationship as kind of a marriage, and Duncan’s openness to coaching set a standard for the rest of the team. Superstar treatment in San Antonio meant listening to Pop.

Popovich and Duncan have been together for all 1,001 of Duncan’s regular season wins. No other player-coach duo has won more than 775 games together.

“It’s great to have confidence in who’s leading your organization and your team and knowing that they have your best interests at hand,” Duncan said in 2014.“That’s what made me stay and that’s what kept me here all these years.”

Had the privilege of being a freshman at Wake when he was a senior. The energy in the Joel was unprecedented. We won so many games and played top level competition. I wish him much success in his future endeavors.

Best player of his era IMO. Hate to see him go, hes one of the best ever and will be missed.

Last edited:
It's so weird that the most successful WF grad played basketball. His boring ass will be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Multiple sources have confirmed. J.A. Adande said it best: "Only Tim Duncan could announce his retirement without actually making an announcement."

What a great career by a great classy player that did it the right way. Thanks for the memories #21 & the 4 years you stayed at Wake, even though you didn't have to stay. He is, in my mind, the greatest basketball player from Wake that has played in the NBA. I do not see anyone surpassing that either. Thanks again Timmy D!!

Knew it was coming, but this absolutely sucks. He's the reason I love the sport - glad I got to see him play before he retired.

It's one of those days that's been inevitable for a few years now, but still hard to believe.

tumblr_nib3qagPmw1s3gys4o1_400.gif

Knew it was coming, but this absolutely sucks. He's the reason I love the sport - glad I got to see him play before he retired.

+1. Never touched a ball til I watched him his soph year and have been in love with the game ever since. Can't wait to show my son his highlights as he gets older. When all his classmates will be wearing durant, Lebron , Curry and likely Simmons jerseys, he will be wearing a 20 + year old Duncan wake jersey.

As a Deac grad who grew up in San Antonio, this is devastating

It's a shame it didn't end better. Clearly the best PF who ever lived.

Timmy sightings might be as rare as DB Cooper sightings now....unless Chill get Tim to be a Wake assistant coach. :)

Wait, wait, wait......No "Kobe Tour" for Tim?????

100% Class and it started a long time ago at Wake.

Back