• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Network to be Based in Connecticut, not Charlotte

"The ACC’s possible expansion to a nine-game conference schedule may be arriving at a decision. The conference’s athletic directors are scheduled to have a conference call Friday and Georgia Tech athletic director Mike Bobinski said Saturday that he expects the issue will be on the agenda.

Speaking at Tech’s media day, Bobinski brought up an intriguing alternative to the nine-game league schedule – keeping the league schedule at eight games but requiring that teams play two non-conference games against power-conference teams. The ACC already has a mandate that goes into effect in 2017 that league teams play one such game."

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/accs-interesting-alternative-to-potential-nine-gam/nsBhn/

If the ACC requires two P5 games on the non-conference slate then we need to work out a deal with UNC make that an annual game.

If the ACC requires two P5 games on the non-conference slate then we need to work out a deal with UNC make that an annual game.

Play UNC in years we don't play ND or at least years Wake and UNC don't play ND.

"In creating the ACC Network, ESPN required two scheduling concessions. The first, expanding the league’s men’s basketball schedule from 18 to 20 games, was announced last month at the network’s unveiling.

Now it’s time for the second, in football.

With commissioner John Swofford, ACC athletic directors are scheduled to convene via conference call at 9 a.m., Friday to deliberate, and perhaps approve, one of two options provided by ESPN: expand the league schedule from eight to nine games, while continuing to play at least outside power five opponent annually; or, remain at eight conference games and play at least two non-league power fives each season.

The ADs could deadlock and/or delay their decision Friday, but status quo is about to vanish. This is an either/or negotiated by ESPN, the ACC’s primary broadcast outlet and partner in the network."

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-nine-vote-post.html

I'd prefer to stay at 8 with the flexibility of scheduling an ACC team (preferably UNC) as a P5 opponent in years we don't play ND. Here's where keeping the annual game against Vandy would have been helpful.

Going to 9 would likely be too rigid with ND as a regular non-con game.

"In creating the ACC Network, ESPN required two scheduling concessions. The first, expanding the league’s men’s basketball schedule from 18 to 20 games, was announced last month at the network’s unveiling.

With commissioner John Swofford, ACC athletic directors are scheduled to convene via conference call at 9 a.m., Friday to deliberate, and perhaps approve, one of two options provided by ESPN: expand the league schedule from eight to nine games, while continuing to play at least outside power five opponent annually; or, remain at eight conference games and play at least two non-league power fives each season.

The ADs could deadlock and/or delay their decision Friday, but status quo is about to vanish. This is an either/or negotiated by ESPN, the ACC’s primary broadcast outlet and partner in the network."

I'd prefer 9 conference games + 1 power 5 over 8 conference games + 2 power 5s. While WF can go the out-of-conference route with conference foes (like UNC), it'd be nice to slightly increase the frequency of playing all Coastal teams.

It'd definitely make Wake's path to a bowl more arduous as most ACC Coastal schools are likely to be better than a bottom feeder in a different power 5 conference. So that's an argument against it if you are looking for the best way to get WF into a bowl.

Last edited:
I'd prefer to stay at 8 with the flexibility of scheduling an ACC team (preferably UNC) as a P5 opponent in years we don't play ND. Here's where keeping the annual game against Vandy would have been helpful.

I don't understand why you would make the Notre Dame exception. If Wake has to have two P5 teams on the non-conference schedule, one of them should always be UNC (except for the years that they are a conference game). Any P5 opponent is a potential loss for us. The Heels bring us the biggest benefit in terms of seats sold, ticket prices, alumni engagement, history, instate recruiting, instate media attention, etc....

Last edited:

They'll stay at 8 conference game as a further enticement to eventually get the Domers to come in full time for football. They need the flexibility to play Southern Cal and Navy every year as well as the ability to take their show on road somewhere else (like Michigan I hope).

The purpose of conference is to play each other, so I kind of like expanding to nine games. That would help if the ACC Network were to be regional in its reach. However, playing and beating other P5's increases the stature of the conference.

I like the compromise solution. Have the ACC adopt the 8-2 scheduling model. Wake-UNC and NC State-Duke are played non-conference every year that they are not conference games. The other schools are free to schedule from other P5 conferences if they want, but they could play games like FSU-GT, Clemson-VT some years as well.

Non-conference conference games are stupid. I'm in favor of any solution that gets rid of those, but sees us play each of our in-state rivals at least once every two years

Non-conference conference games are stupid. I'm in favor of any solution that gets rid of those, but sees us play each of our in-state rivals at least once every two years

In an ideal world, all of the Tobacco Road schools would be in the same division and I would agree with you. But we're not and probably are not going to be, so I prefer any solution that results in us playing UNC, NC State and Duke every year. As it is, we will get a home conference game with UNC once every 12 years. If they go to a 9 game schedule, then that means we get a home game with the Heels once every six years. That's still not good enough for me.

In favor of 9 conference games. Allows you to play 6 division teams +1 crossover + 2. Anything that allows us to play UNC, UVA, GT, VT more often I'm okay with. Throw in games with Miami and Pitt I guess.

We will continue (and should continue) to play FCS games.

9 conference games
1 P5 (sometimes ND)
1 FCS
1 G5 (Army, Navy, Tulane, App, Coastal, ECU).

That should be your schedule every year.

If it goes to 8+2, we need to seriously re-look at a Vandy game every year.

Well, I disagree. I don't like playing an ACC game that doesn't count as an ACC game. I have no problem with 9 conference games; it's important now that we're at 14 teams. I don't care about playing the holes that much; after their 18-year cheat I don't feel we should be expending effort to play them beyond what we're required to do. They don't deserve the benefit of a game with us unless they are made to answer for their NCAA crimes and suffer commensurate punishment.

We don't have to play a cupcake and neither does anyone else to be honest. I'm personally most interested in our conference games rather than nonconf, and 3 nonconf games are enough to satisfy whatever need is served by them.

I don't understand why you would make the Notre Dame exception. If Wake has to have two P5 teams on the non-conference schedule, one of them should always be UNC (except for the years that they are a conference game). Any P5 opponent is a potential loss for us. The Heels bring us the biggest benefit in terms of seats sold, ticket prices, alumni engagement, history, instate recruiting, instate media attention, etc....

The "Notre Dame exception" gives us the flexibility to play a lower-tier P5 school every year or just different schools all together. Otherwise we rarely have slots for a P5 that isn't ND or UNC which makes it tough to schedule a P5 in the first place.

Back