• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Network to be Based in Connecticut, not Charlotte

The "Notre Dame exception" gives us the flexibility to play a lower-tier P5 school every year or just different schools all together. Otherwise we rarely have slots for a P5 that isn't ND or UNC which makes it tough to schedule a P5 in the first place.

We would see about the same variety of P5 opponents as we do currently.

If the ACC goes to 8-2, then Vandy will have its pick of ACC opponents to choose from. They may not want to play Wake every year.
If the ACC goes 8-2, ESPN and Fox are going to push the other Power 5 conferences to follow suit. So WF likely ends up in a similar situation.

If the ACC goes 8-2, ESPN and Fox are going to push the other Power 5 conferences to follow suit. So WF likely ends up in a similar situation.

The other P5 conferences with the exception of the SEC already play 9 conference games. ESPN is not going to advocate that they drop down to 8-2 and has no leverage to force them to even if ESPN wanted to do that.

If other P5 conferences adopt the same scheduling logic - play a non-conference P5 school or two every year, I suspect Wake will be getting a lot of calls. There is the perception (reality?) that Wake is a weak team in a P5 conference. Thus, would be a prime choice for opponents looking for a team to play that they would have reasonable expectation of beating. Should help Wake's ability to schedule, if not record.

If other P5 conferences adopt the same scheduling logic - play a non-conference P5 school or two every year, I suspect Wake will be getting a lot of calls. There is the perception (reality?) that Wake is a weak team in a P5 conference. Thus, would be a prime choice for opponents looking for a team to play that they would have reasonable expectation of beating. Should help Wake's ability to schedule, if not record.

Yes, for as long as you suck. When you start improving, scheduled games get bought out because you've gone from guaranteed "W" to ugly "L."

Our next unscheduled date is in 2022. Our schedule strength won't put us in a better bowl game then another team that can buy more tickets. So if we get a bid this year, buy some tix and donate them if you can't go.

Our next unscheduled date is in 2022. Our schedule strength won't put us in a better bowl game then another team that can buy more tickets. So if we get a bid this year, buy some tix and donate them if you can't go.

First things first: Get the bowl bid, any bowl bid. Then worry about selling tickets and how good (or "bad") the bowl is. From a team development standpoint, any bowl is a good bowl. Extra practices, bragging rights etc.

I would assume any change to the football schedule will start in 2019 with the ACC Network launch.

09/07 - at Rice
09/14 - North Carolina (non-ACC game)
TBA - Elon
TBA - Utah State

09/12 - Appalachian State
09/19 - at Old Dominion
TBA - Notre Dame
TBA - Tulane

09/11 - Old Dominion
09/25 - at North Carolina (non-ACC game)
10/23 - at Army
TBA - Northern Illinois

09/10 - at Vanderbilt
10/08 - Army
TBA - Air Force

09/09 - Vanderbilt
TBA - at Notre Dame

09/14 - Ole Miss
11/16 - at Army

09/13 - at Ole Miss
11/15 - Army

09/12 - at Purdue
11/14 - at Army

09/04 - Purdue (or 9/2)

8-2 becomes a lot more manageable if these series are locked in as annual games. Then you're just looking for one p5 game except for the years you get Notre Dame.

FSU-Florida
Clemson-South Carolina
GT-UGa
Louisville-Kentucky
WF-UNC
Duke-NC State
Pitt-WVU or Pitt-Penn State if an agreement can be reached
VT-WVU or VT-Tennessee if an agreement can be reached
UVA-Maryland
Syracuse-Rutgers
BC-Miami or BC-UConn assuming the Big XII takes them

Miami can probably get two P5 opponents per year without much trouble.

— James said he’s a fan of a nine-game conference schedule because it will enhance rivalries. “We’re going to be together for a long while,” he said. The ACC’s athletics directors will have a conference call Friday and it’s expected they will discuss a move from eight conference games to nine. James: “My vote will be for nine.”

http://caneswatch.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2016/08/08/miami-hurricanes-2016-media-day-live-updates/

Miami is flipping their vote. So all it takes is for Duke to flip their vote as well and the 9 game schedule will pass.

Duke has a pretty nice setup with the sched as is -- THOUGH WE WILL CHANGE THAT! Still, might take some work to change their opinion

8+2 is infinitely better than a 9 game conference schedule. Don't screw this up, Wake.

Nine makes every year imbalanced with the home/road split in conference. I'd actually take that if I'm Wake since we need all the stars to align to take the division anyway, one of which could be having 5 home games that year.

It may also make it trickier perhaps for some teams to ensure 7 home games every year if that's what they look to do.

Just some factors I imagine could be discussed, I think I'd still lean to 8+2 - although I think p5 bottom feeders are a lot tougher to come by than teams think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why "infinitely"? I like 9...

Well, the most obvious reason why it is infinitely better is another conference game guarantees 7 more losses for ACC teams. The middle of the ACC is not as bad as is perceived, but additional guaranteed losses will help fuel that perception.

Yeah, conferences should play each other more, but we are in a new age, and there are much more important things than the Big Four all playing each other. Take, this first weekend for example....

Clemson vs Auburn
VT vs Tennessee

Both of those matchups provide more exposure, and offer much greater rewards with a potential victory, than any ACC team could in the same situation.

As a conference, the ACC gains nothing if that game is VT vs Clemson instead.

Back