• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Network to be Based in Connecticut, not Charlotte

It's an old article, but the answer appears to be "yes."

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...onference-obligations-playing-other-acc-teams

"Playing another league opponent in a nonconference game is allowable under ACC by-laws. Any decision regarding nonconference games between ACC schools would be up to the individual institutions, ACC commissioner John Swofford said.

Any nonconference games between ACC schools also would satisfy the league's requirement of playing at least one nonconference team from a power five league starting in 2017."

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-acc-football-sked-vote-post.html

"Big 12 presidents are mired in a perpetual expansion debate, and some ACC athletic directors would like to delay their scheduling vote until the Big 12 resolves its future, perhaps later this month. The theory there is that a larger Big 12 would grow the pool of potential Power Five opponents.

But waiting on America’s most dysfunctional conference, the Big 12, is no way for the ACC to conduct business. Besides, two more Big 12 teams wouldn’t make ACC non-league scheduling that much easier."

"If ESPN expanded the Power Five pool to include the American Athletic Conference, 8+2 would become far more palatable and likely prevail. If not, momentum is building for 9+1 as the ADs prepare for what promises to be an animated debate that could change minds."

ESPN could potentially allow the ACC to count games against the AAC, Notre Dame, BYU, Boise State, Air Force and Army as P5 games to meet their new scheduling requirement.

Last edited:
We do need to go to 9 conference games, just like all the power 5 teams should do [and Big XII, Big X & PAC have already done]. It will still be unbalanced and you can't get away from having lucky or unlucky scheduling from when you play great teams/weak teams from the other side of the conference, but that won't ever change. Then as Ranger says, allow some kind of thing where everybody also gives credit for the 10th game coming from ND, Army, Navy, BYU, Houston and the like. I can't say everybody in the AAC gets credit because they are mostly weak as water. Take Houston out & the AAC is no better than the MAC or MWC. And if the Big XII ever gets off their butt and adds Houston & Cincy, that makes the AAC even worse.

Travel to the BIG XII is unnecessary. With only 3 OOC spots to fill, a FCS, a Group 5, and a Power 5 will fit the bill. With ND in '17 and '18, we won't have to find a P5 game until '19 and again in '21. After that we have Vandy, Purdue and Ole Miss. I'd love to get the Gamecocks to fill '19 and '21.

ESPN could potentially allow the ACC to count games against the AAC, Notre Dame, BYU, Boise State, Air Force and Army as P5 games to meet their new scheduling requirement.

I have to disagree. Other than ND, P5 is P5. You can't draft a rule for specific teams because their strength varies year to year. P5 actually means something; the rest don't.

I have to disagree. Other than ND, P5 is P5. You can't draft a rule for specific teams because their strength varies year to year. P5 actually means something; the rest don't.

ESPN and other conferences already have exceptions carved out for more teams than just Notre Dame. The ACC currently counts Notre Dame and BYU for example. The Big Ten counts Army, Air Force, Navy, UConn, Cincinnati, BYU and Notre Dame. The SEC counts Army, BYU and Notre Dame.

It makes sense for the ACC to expand the teams it counts as P5 at least to Big Ten levels.

That's a good point I wasn't aware of. However, there *is* a big difference between P5 and most teams in the AAC and I'd have to say Army. Why say P5 if you don't mean P5?

That's a good point I wasn't aware of. However, there *is* a big difference between P5 and most teams in the AAC and I'd have to say Army. Why say P5 if you don't mean P5?

ESPN wants to eliminate as many of the absolute dog match ups as they can. They let it be known that they want to get rid of all the FCS games but didn't stipulate that in writing in the contract. But they would also prefer fewer Sun Belt and MAC type games.

The teams I mentioned are attractive enough for tv. The military academies have built in national audiences, Notre Dame is Notre Dame, BYU has a large following in the Western time zones, and the AAC teams are recognizable names in mostly major media markets.

We do need to go to 9 conference games, just like all the power 5 teams should do [and Big XII, Big X & PAC have already done]. It will still be unbalanced and you can't get away from having lucky or unlucky scheduling from when you play great teams/weak teams from the other side of the conference, but that won't ever change. Then as Ranger says, allow some kind of thing where everybody also gives credit for the 10th game coming from ND, Army, Navy, BYU, Houston and the like. I can't say everybody in the AAC gets credit because they are mostly weak as water. Take Houston out & the AAC is no better than the MAC or MWC. And if the Big XII ever gets off their butt and adds Houston & Cincy, that makes the AAC even worse.

this settles it. 8 conference games is the best option.

"The ADs spent much of the last three-plus months in fierce debate over two alternatives offered by ESPN, both designed to create more quality programming for the ACC Network, set to launch in 2019. In exchange for financial incentives, ESPN asked for eight league games and two Power Five non-conference dates (8+2), or nine league games and one outside Power Five contest (9+1).

But during a conference call Tuesday morning to prepare for their face-to-face meetings, the athletic directors learned from ACC commissioner John Swofford that while ESPN prefers one of those formats, it will settle for 8+1. This according to sources throughout the league.

How much that will cost the conference in incentives is unknown."

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-acc-schedule-status-quo-post.html

Last edited:
AD's voted to play 8-game sched with 1 P5.

They must've all seen Reff's post

Oh well, FSU, Clemson, Louisville & GT win the battle, just as they did a month or so ago when all this got tabled to this vote. They all already have huge non-conference rivalry games at the end of the season and apparently talked enough other teams [like us] into not having to battle more Power 5 teams. I hope one day we all go to 9 conference games but we shall see. The SEC doesn't need to go to 9 conference games as they have to play thru each other every week so they already have strength of schedule [but I am hoping they will go to it also one day!]

$500,000 more per school doesn't seem like enough of an increase in pay to justify the increased scheduling headache.

Back