• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Network to be Based in Connecticut, not Charlotte

I believe espn3 is strictly Internet. I don't have Internet in cahoots with my tv. Unless you know a different way I could?

Just get an HDMI cable and plug your laptop into the TV. Probably the simplest solution and only $20.

I can never get my chromecast to work with espn3. It usually doesn't even give me the option to stream it once I choose a game.

thats probably because the game was already on tv.

usually on the directional fox sports channels

No, the game was streaming on my computer but it didn't give the option to use chromecast to watch it on my tv. There wasn't a blackout.

No, the game was streaming on my computer but it didn't give the option to use chromecast to watch it on my tv. There wasn't a blackout.

ESPN3 generally opens a smaller pop-up browser window to show the game. Copy the url from that small window, open a new tab in your browser, and copy and paste the address. The game will then stream from the newly-opened tab, and you will have the Chromecast streaming icon available.

ESPN3 generally opens a smaller pop-up browser window to show the game. Copy the url from that small window, open a new tab in your browser, and copy and paste the address. The game will then stream from the newly-opened tab, and you will have the Chromecast streaming icon available.

Thanks! That will be a game changer this season.

At least until we start 6-0 and all our games are on big ESPN

I use the Amazon Fire Stick, which has an app that allows me to use the Watch ESPN (or whatever the hell it's called) app on my TV the same way I use it on my mobile device, which includes ESPN3. I believe the only requirement is that you have to subscribe to a cable service that includes ESPN. Before that, I did the HDMI cord to TV thing. The Fire Stick is much easier and the picture quality is better.

This. I think there is a huge opportunity to promote traditional "non-revenue" sports into a positive revenue stream. The sports above, lacrosse, women's volleyball (thin women with nice legs jump, and hug each other after each point - why isn't this popular??!!), olympic sports. I watched the BattleFrog championships last weekend (Va Tech, Ga Tech participated) on ESPN. Or we could start the amateur collegiate sports process over and broadcast intramural championship contests - flag football, basketball, softball - school champs battle for ACC crown.

And fill in remaining open time slots with TAGS. :thumbsup:

I still don't know why I wasn't a volleyball groupie back at Wake.

Not in most markets. Raycom has been producing the games in HD for quite some time now, sounds like it your local affiliate's problem that they don't show it in HD.
Look at the list of affiliates the ACC has for basketball games. It's probably at least 75% MyTV, which is an awful channel that most people don't even know that they have. Between average picture quality at best in multiple locations (Nashville, Columbia SC, and Hilton Head) and the occasional bumping of games for reruns is problematic.

The football games normally are on better channels and in HD but the local CBS channels in 3 different locations have routinely switched to the CBS national game before the ACC game is even over (affiliate contract with CBS requirment?). Two of the three are home to SEC schools, but that is the affiliate chosen to carry the game by Raycom/the ACC.

Last edited:
It's probably at least 75% MyTV, which is an awful channel that most people don't even know that they have.

It's one of my favorites....love all the old shows especially Andy, Barney, Aunt Bea and Opie reruns.

So realistically how much money will the Atlantic Coast Conference lose over the years trying to do this? Who in their right mind wants to watch Boston College play Virginia Tech play baseball or Virginia play Duke in lacrosse. Better yet how much will it cost us all in what we have divide up the costs down the road when this travesty does not work out.

So realistically how much money will the Atlantic Coast Conference lose over the years trying to do this? Who in their right mind wants to watch Boston College play Virginia Tech play baseball or Virginia play Duke in lacrosse. Better yet how much will it cost us all in what we have divide up the costs down the road when this travesty does not work out.

Lose?

It's not about BC and VT baseball. It's about FSU and Charleston Southern or USF or Clemson and Troy or Syracuse in football vs being played on ESPN3, not to mention the conference games that will be showcased on. Fans will buy the channel, and the conference, in turn, will be able to sell sponsorship through their TV network. You want to be on the FSU and Clemson football games? Guess what, when you buy that, you're also buying Wake and BC in baseball.

Conferences don't have a lot of avenues to make cash like individual Universities - they don't have "seasons." They have a football championship game, and a basketball tournament. That's it. Being able to have a network at your disposable opens yourself up to plenty of other assets of which to sell. Have a good product and hire good sales people and you won't have a problem.

Lose?

It's not about BC and VT baseball. It's about FSU and Charleston Southern or USF or Clemson and Troy or Syracuse in football vs being played on ESPN3, not to mention the conference games that will be showcased on. Fans will buy the channel, and the conference, in turn, will be able to sell sponsorship through their TV network. You want to be on the FSU and Clemson football games? Guess what, when you buy that, you're also buying Wake and BC in baseball.

Conferences don't have a lot of avenues to make cash like individual Universities - they don't have "seasons." They have a football championship game, and a basketball tournament. That's it. Being able to have a network at your disposable opens yourself up to plenty of other assets of which to sell. Have a good product and hire good sales people and you won't have a problem.

It is also about the money it takes to put the network on and produce it, find sponsorships for it and hire announcers for all the televised events and pay for everything. You are talking about almost every single thing being televised so you have to pay for all this talent to show up and announce. It is not just about the schools and conference collecting money from a network like ESPN putting it on. Ask the PAC how it has been going. The Atlantic Coast Conference does not exactly have people bowling us over to come to our games except for a few teams in each of football, basketball and baseball. This is going to be a tough go.

soon_(1).jpg

The PAC 12 decided to do theirs alone without a tv partner. The ACC is doing theirs through ESPN. I would be surprised if once it gets established if it makes less than $3 million per school per year in profit. Otherwise, the conference would have just taken the bump in tv rights ESPN was on the contractually hook for if it did not do an ACC Network.

The PAC 12 decided to do theirs alone without a tv partner. The ACC is doing theirs through ESPN. I would be surprised if once it gets established if it makes less than $3 million per school per year in profit. Otherwise, the conference would have just taken the bump in tv rights ESPN was on the contractually hook for if it did not do an ACC Network.
Agree, it may not result in as big of a revenue increase as the SEC Network but the ACC Network will follow the same groundwork in implementation & execution.

Back