• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016 Omnibus Fantasy Football Thread

My QB at the moment is Eli, though. CBS is notoriously stingy when it comes to QB points, too. Does that change things up at all for you?

ETA: Just got offered Cam Newton/DeMarco Murray for Eli Manning/Adrian Peterson. I definitely take that, right?

I wouldn't take it. All reports have Henry looking good and possibly taking lead back duties some point this year. At a minimum he will start as goal line back.

AP is a top four back.

Difference between Eli/cam may not be that big at the end of the season.

Just my two cents of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Somebody has to throw TD passes to all those Giants WRs.

How do you guys prepare for Auction drafts? And what specific strategies do you bring to that format?

I found out over the weekend I am ungood at fantasy so every bit of advice I have given out should be ignored. we had our auction draft (12 team, standard scoring) and I had Hopkins $39 and Cam $11 as my keepers. My plan was to go all in on one more elite wideout and get an upper echelon RB. Instead I completely shat the bed and ended up with crap WRs, mediocre TEs and Greg Olsen. Hugely disappointing. My lesson, you can bring strategies but it is tough as hell to follow through with them when some of the bidding is crazy.

How do you guys prepare for Auction drafts? And what specific strategies do you bring to that format?

Spend early and often. And don't be afraid to overspend on an elite guy as those extra dollars probably won't matter at the end of the draft.

You may think you'll find value late but more often than not, people just have money to waste at the end and youll realize you're overspending on me guys.

I've never done an auction draft. How does free agency work? Seems like it would make sense to overspend on top players and fill out the bench after the draft. Or if you have to fill the roster during the draft, just get some $1 guys after everyone else has filled their roster.

Honestly depends on your league. I target one or two guys that are "first round guys" and make sure I get the number I want from that pool. My league is very QB driven with 6 points per passing TD so everyone blows their wads on the top QB's this year and it leads to tons of options in the middle of the draft where people are running out of money. My team is:

QBs: K. Cousins and Dalton
RBs: David Johnson, Zeke Elliot, D. Henry, J Hill, and I. Crowell
WR's: AJ Green, T. Lockett, W. Snead, Devante Parker (short here for sure)
Oakland Defense, Kicker

I'm short on WR's but like the rest of the team. This is always the most competitive league at the top because one or two guys always gets too drunk and guys go for way less than they should. Alwasy a ton of fun though.

I've never done an auction draft. How does free agency work? Seems like it would make sense to overspend on top players and fill out the bench after the draft. Or if you have to fill the roster during the draft, just get some $1 guys after everyone else has filled their roster.

The way we do our free agency/wavier wire is everyone gets another $100 to spend on free agents throughout the season. You put in a blind bid every week on anyone you want and the top bid gets the player. So if AP goes out his backup might get bid on for $75 that week where as I may need a kicker and get one for $1 with no one else bidding on him. Waivers get picked Wednesday night and between then and the rest of the week it's first come first serve for any other free agents. It's by far my favorite way to do waivers.

That's a great way to do waivers. Something like that would work well in a standard league.

Seems like someone could get some post-draft waiver acquisitions for cheap.

That's a great way to do waivers. Something like that would work well in a standard league.

Seems like someone could get some post-draft waiver acquisitions for cheap.

Yea it drives me crazy in some one of the standard leagues i'm in that it's just first come first serve on waivers. Who ever gets the email alert that a guy is out first usually ends up with him.

The way we do our free agency/wavier wire is everyone gets another $100 to spend on free agents throughout the season. You put in a blind bid every week on anyone you want and the top bid gets the player. So if AP goes out his backup might get bid on for $75 that week where as I may need a kicker and get one for $1 with no one else bidding on him. Waivers get picked Wednesday night and between then and the rest of the week it's first come first serve for any other free agents. It's by far my favorite way to do waivers.

in our league (yahoo) you can actually bid 0 so if you want to go in a kicker but save the dollars you can go that way.

thefootballguys do a good job prepping a first timer for auctions
http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=pasquino_Auction_Strategy_Part1

This is an eight part series - just change the number after Part in url. If membership required to see, they just want an email address so I would advise subscribing.

My summary: Know your league, its scoring, its tendencies, and personalities. Plan on how you would like to construct your team in a $200 budget. Some of my possible strategies are Big RB's, Big WR's, Big QB (Cam, Rodgers, Luck), Big One's (QB1, RB1, WR1), Four 40's (four players in $40 range), Best Values, Gronk (he is so relatively expensive, buying him requires its own strategy - if you buy him, where else will you be weak or cheap). Know who the Homers are who will buy up their favorite team's players. Other personalities are The Splurger, The Miser, The Budget Bidder, The Watchdog, Mr Unprepared. The Splurger buys big, buys early, then basically sits until the $1 players roll around. The Miser saves his money for the mid to late rounds, the Budget Bidder tracks every player and pounces when the league lets deal fall through. He will tend to stay in the bidding until a player exceeds his cheatsheet's market rate. The Watchdog bids with no intention of buying to ensure no one gets a deal. I am more of a Budget Bidder/Watchdog. Having more than one Watchdog or Miser means there will be competition even for the second/third tier players. Ouch.

When developing your team structure, don't get too hung up on one player if you can avoid it. This will help you sidestep bidding wars. Plan on 2-3 similar players.

Prepare a nomination strategy. My league lets the winner of the last auction nominate the next player (like in cards). Your goal is to get $$ out of the league before your players come up. Bid on popular players you are not planning on getting. Encourage bidding wars. There is a natural tendency to nominate players best to worst. Shake things up by nominating some second/third tier guys earlier than elite players. This works especially well with TE. If you don't want Gronk, nominate a TE you do want before Gronk. The 6-7 Gronk hopefuls will bail, each thinking they are saving their $$ for Gronk. Meanwhile, you could get your guy cheaper than if Gronk were already off the table.

Don't get suckered into a bidding war. Usually the top 10 players get bid up past their value and it can pretty much cripple the rest of the team (exception cited below). That said, you probably want one top 10 overall player who you can get at market. Like in drafts, you don't want to get shut out of a run. One exception to bidding war avoidance: bidding on the last good player in a tier. Lamar Miller was the last first tier RB nominated in our league. There was a bidding war. The winner paid $64 for him, but the loser got LeSean McCoy later for $30. Which side of that do you want to be on?

In auctions, FF points to $$ is not linear, but steeply exponential. Look at last years points against this year's $$.

It can pay to have more money at the middle and end of the auction, as you could get your choice on second, third tier players, K's and DST's while every one else at $1. Don't over-save, though. Under-spending doesn't do you a bit of good unless the excess rolls over to waivers. Oh, and finishing out your team with your remaining bank is under-spending, too.

Here is an example of a Splurger in my league who made out pretty well: He bought OBJ and Antonio Johnson for $133 combined. He sat awhile while the rest of us bought. This was a 0 RB strategy. Eventually, he got Eddie Lacy and Ben Rothlisberger, and he's not looking too bad. J Langford as RB2. He has no depth, but the league somehow let him get a decent lineup after obscene spending up front.

what would people do to make this team better?

QB Cam
WRs Hopkins, Lockett, DeSean
RB Langford, Rawls
TE Olsen
Bench Melvin Gordon, Tevin Coleman, Devante Parker, Torrey Smith, Willie Snead, Jay Ajayi ($1 potential keeper if/when Foster gets hurt)

You have a tier 1 qb depending on your league format you probably reached for, you have a tier 2 TE, your best WR probably will regress and the rest is made up of one WR3, WR4, 3 WR5, the Rbs are both tier 3 RBs and your other two are only good in case of injury. Umm not draft that team because I don't see what the strategy was that resulted in average WRs and average RBs when it should be strong one or the other.

How many teams in your league? Your team looks solid for a 14 team league. Odds are one of your RBs will overperform. I wouldn't rush into trading to shore up that weakness.

what would people do to make this team better?

QB Cam
WRs Hopkins, Lockett, DeSean
RB Langford, Rawls
TE Olsen
Bench Melvin Gordon, Tevin Coleman, Devante Parker, Torrey Smith, Willie Snead, Jay Ajayi ($1 potential keeper if/when Foster gets hurt)

I don't love your running backs. Is there any market for either of those guys? You might be able to get a starting RB and WR for Rawls before Week 1?

Your bench has some interesting guys, though: Coleman, Gordon, Snead, and Ajayi. I'm guessing that one of those guys turns into a starter in the nearish future. My money is on Snead. Perhaps you could sell high on one of those guys, as well, once the season starts?

There's another phenomena I've noticed among early auctioners - something I call "the itch." I noticed it while reviewing auction results by team and timestamp of when they won players. After about 15 minutes, auctioners with $$ get antsy... start thinking the auction is passing them by, and its time to buy another player. Then they will bid harder, and perhaps reach, for a player. If you have a plan with a range of players, you're not as likely to succumb to the itch. You can wait because you know your guys are out there, they just haven't come up yet.

Oh, another point about the bidding war on last good player in the tier. Keep track of things, and get your players before the last one comes up.

The hard part is finding that sweet spot of having a plan, yet remaining flexible to adapt to what auction brings. Budget bidding helps here. Last year, I had a terrible auction because I had too many contingency plans. And plans are like QB's, if you have two starting QB's then you have no starting QB's. Auction events had me accessing parts of several different contingency plans, no cohesive plan was followed. It was a mess.

Auctions are both very long and very short. The entire event is 4+ hours, which is long; but when you are bidding on someone, you have to decide within 10 to 15 seconds whether to continue bidding, how much higher you can go within budget, what will your next max bid look like if you win this auction at this price, etc. If you go off script, then you are scrambling to find a new plan... Keep records, but not too many, so you can update quickly and still have time to evaluate.

Bidding strategies: sometimes increase bids by more than $1. Players pretty much have values. Julio Jones is going to go around $55. Do you want to try to luck into $55 in $1 increments among 5-6 players, or get there first yourself with a big bid? For players like Julio, you can jump to the market bid, get that number, and have a better chance to win. The risk is, though small, that Julio might have gone for less than $55. If you find yourself with a bigger bank at the end, throw your money around like you would at a poker table (large raises) with larger bid increments.

This is psychological war. Use tactics to keep your opponents off balance, scrambling, off script.

Need one flex:

Terrence West vs Bills
Willie Snead vs Raiders
James White @ Cards
Tavon Austin @ 49ers
Sterling Sheppard @ Cowboys

Snead? I guess? Not sure what to expect from West.

Sheppard or Snead would be my guess.

How many teams in your league? Your team looks solid for a 14 team league. Odds are one of your RBs will overperform. I wouldn't rush into trading to shore up that weakness.

12 teams, with 2 keepers. last years champ kept Antonio brown and devonta freeman for 57 total. he added Julio and Rodgers. gonna be tough to beat

Back