• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Preseason Thread

Aided by this article from Dan Collins (link), here is my initial handicapping of which true freshmen will play this year

BURNING REDSHIRT IS LIKELY
Dom Maggio (certain)
Cade Carney

SOLID CHANCE TO BURN REDSHIRT
Arkeem Byrd
Greg Dortch
Brandon Chapman
Sulaiman Kamara
Jacquez Williams – will probably redshirt unless he beats out Justin Strnad and Nate Mays for the last spot on the 2-deep at LB
Essang Bassey – redshirt probably depends on whether he beats out Thomas Dillon for the last spot on the 2-deep at CB.
Boogie Basham/Manny Walker/Zander Zimmer – 2 of the 3 will likely redshirt. This is probably the position where the 2-deep will be the most competitive

WILL PROBABLY REDSHIRT
Jamie Newman
2 of the 3 DEs
Traveon Redd
Lukas Masterson
DeAndre Delaney
Jeremiah Brown
Taleni Suhren
Je’Vionte Nash
Tyler Watson
Malik Grate

GREYSHIRT
LaRonde Liverpool

Surprised this has not been noted...Coach seems a bit annoyed....

I would say Cade Carney seems now like he is more like a redshirt freshman rather than a true freshman. Then there’s another player we have – I won’t mention his name – that you would think he just showed up a week ago even though he’s been here since January

Knowing which frosh reported in January, who is Clawson likely referring to ?

I would say Cade Carney seems now like he is more like a redshirt freshman rather than a true freshman. Then there’s another player we have – I won’t mention his name – that you would think he just showed up a week ago even though he’s been here since January

Oh snap!!!!!

Scheier tweeted that Maggio averaged 52.3 on 6 punts during practice #2. No wind. No rolls.

Pretty awesome.
And he's still a pretty skinny kid trying to gain weight and strength.
Great future for him.

Interesting...looks like they removed the second half of the quote from the article. I didn't see it in there anywhere

Looks like the defense is starting to take shape, according to Dans article. Jaboree W and Marquel are the two starters at LB. Dawson will be the top back up for both, Claw hopes to develop a 4th LB in the rotation (Mays/Strnad). Looks like Kemp will be the starting rover, but not like that is all that important cause TBrown will play plenty this year. I like the idea of playing Lee, TBrown and Kemp on 3rd downs (passing downs) for coverage and taking Dawson/Jaboree out.

Paris Black seems to be the top back up at DE and Claw feels we are 4 deep at DT and hopes to be 5/6 deep by beginning of season. Sounds like Yarbury is coming along. Also, it appears that Bates is a break out candidate in the secondary.

Looks like the defense is starting to take shape, according to Dans article. Jaboree W and Marquel are the two starters at LB. Dawson will be the top back up for both, Claw hopes to develop a 4th LB in the rotation (Mays/Strnad). Looks like Kemp will be the starting rover, but not like that is all that important cause TBrown will play plenty this year. I like the idea of playing Lee, TBrown and Kemp on 3rd downs (passing downs) for coverage and taking Dawson/Jaboree out.

Paris Black seems to be the top back up at DE and Claw feels we are 4 deep at DT and hopes to be 5/6 deep by beginning of season. Sounds like Yarbury is coming along. Also, it appears that Bates is a break out candidate in the secondary.

That would be big for us with Zeek Rodney gone for at least this year.

appreciate the analysis on this thread. Can't help but get frustrated when I see that the projected Oline is a senior and a bunch of sophs. We have got to get that right and develop these guys. Until we are playing a line of 21/22 yo grown men instead of 19 yo kids we are never going to have a productive offense.

appreciate the analysis on this thread. Can't help but get frustrated when I see that the projected Oline is a senior and a bunch of sophs. We have got to get that right and develop these guys. Until we are playing a line of 21/22 yo grown men instead of 19 yo kids we are never going to have a productive offense.

2 seniors-Hayworth And Harris (22/23 years old) and 3 RS-sophomores are projected to start on the oh line. A lot of redshirt sophomores are 20/21 years old.

2 seniors-Hayworth And Harris (22/23 years old) and 3 RS-sophomores are projected to start on the oh line. A lot of redshirt sophomores are 20/21 years old.

Our O line will be better this year. Maybe not great, but better.
That, combined with more depth at RB and more options to throw, should lead to much better rushing production this year.
(I know, I know.........our rushing game was so poor last year we only had one way to go)

Our O line will be better this year. Maybe not great, but better.
That, combined with more depth at RB and more options to throw, should lead to much better rushing production this year.
(I know, I know.........our rushing game was so poor last year we only had one way to go)

If we take as big a jump from 2 years ago to last year, we'll probably be doing good. That just shows you how awful, putrid, disgusting, embarrassing, crappy, nonexistent, and just plain bad our rushing offense was 2 years ago, since our rushing offense was still all of those only to lesser degrees last year, but a substantial improvement.

This is a bummer. I was looking forward to seeing Cade play more than any other player this year.

Edit- NVM, I read this wrong. Sounds like Claw is saying Cade is a step above the other true Frosh.

This is a bummer. I was looking forward to seeing Cade play more than any other player this year.

Edit- NVM, I read this wrong. Sounds like Claw is saying Cade is a step above the other true Frosh.

Yeah, that is what he's saying. Sounds like Cade will get to play a lot this year.

Yeah, that is what he's saying. Sounds like Cade will get to play a lot this year.

I can see him being a guy with a stat line similar to this: 5 receptions for 45 yards and 15 carries for 60. Watching him in high school leads me to believe that we have a hell of a back in Cade Carney.

This season will come down to the development of our O-line and having better options at corner than Devin Gaulden.

I can see him being a guy with a stat line similar to this: 5 receptions for 45 yards and 15 carries for 60. Watching him in high school leads me to believe that we have a hell of a back in Cade Carney.

This season will come down to the development of our O-line and having better options at corner than Devin Gaulden.

I'd be good with that stat line. 9 yards a catch, 4 yards a carry, would be much better production than we've been getting at RB I would think.

Back