• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Preseason Thread

I don't know if you took into account how many carries Rocky Reid will get in those numbers for Carney but I assume Reid will get a decent amount of carries. The number one back who gets the majority of snaps probably wont be decided until game 2 or 3 (during the Duke game or make the decision based on production in that game and decide for the next week).

It really sounds like Benzinger is gonna be a player for us.

I don't know if you took into account how many carries Rocky Reid will get in those numbers for Carney but I assume Reid will get a decent amount of carries. The number one back who gets the majority of snaps probably wont be decided until game 2 or 3 (during the Duke game or make the decision based on production in that game and decide for the next week).

You put to much thinking into Reid due to rankings and potential, but I bet he ends up being the 5th or at best 4th best option this year and starts thinking transfer.

You put to much thinking into Reid due to rankings and potential, but I bet he ends up being the 5th or at best 4th best option this year and starts thinking transfer.

All the reports from Les seem to be very positive, and he and Carney are fighting for the starting job in practice with Tyler Bell out. Who exactly would be in front of him to bump him down to 4th or 5th?

We need a guy with speed at RB. Agree with jamesda3 that Reid isn't the guy. Didn't someone post his 40 time as 4.8 earlier in the Spring? I will happily eat my words but from what I saw in Spring, Carney is the faster version of Reid. Carney can be the bruiser but we need Byrd to emerge as a home run threat. Not a good sign when the staff took 2 RB's after taking 3 last year and 2 the year before that. Taking 2 last year showed they weren't thrilled with the 3 they took the year before.

That's a very good point, I'm just not expecting Arkeem Byrd to see too much playing time this year as a frosh. Next year, a lot of playing time.

Or he went out and got more because he continually preaches that you need depth at the RB spot and that he has finished seasons with RB #5 on the depth chart. He would have dumb not to go get more RBs for the 2016 class. Wouldn't write off Reid yet

Won't matter who is back there if we run the same moribund offensive scheme-

Or he went out and got more because he continually preaches that you need depth at the RB spot and that he has finished seasons with RB #5 on the depth chart. He would have dumb not to go get more RBs for the 2016 class. Wouldn't write off Reid yet

Clawson has said repeatedly that it's impossible to have too many tailbacks on the roster, then with having six scholarship guys on the roster found himself down to just two that could practice a couple days ago.

He went from Isaiah Robinson, Matt Colburn, Tyler Bell, Arkeem Byrd, Cade Carney and Rocky Reid to JUST Reid and Carney.

Point made.

But the positive spin is those guys will be fresh for the start of the season.

An update to my projected two-deep depth chart. Nothing earth shattering here.

OFFENSE

Quarterback
OPEN
Contenders for the starting role are John Wolford and Kendall Hinton

Running Back
Likely a 3-man committee with Cade Carney (FR), Tyler Bell (SOPH) and one other.

X-Receiver
Starter: Cortez Lewis (rSOPH)
Backup: Scotty Washington (rFR)
Note: Washington should see the field some. Even at the start of the season.

S-Receiver
Starter: Jared Crump (rSR) **injured**
Backups: Steven Claude (rFR) and Alex Bachman (SOPH)
Note: Wade played some S in the spring, but I strongly suspect that he will remain at the Slot. Worth watching though.

Flanker / Slot Receiver
COMMITTEE - Tabari Hines (SOPH) AND Chuck Wade (SOPH)

Tight End
Starter: Cam Serigne (rJR)
Backups: Devin Pike (JR) AND Brandon Chapman (FR)

Offensive Line
Starters:
LT Justin Herron (rSOPH)
LG Ty Hayworth (rSR)
C Josh Harris (SR)
RG Phil Haynes (rSOPH)
RT Ryan Anderson (rSOPH)

Top Backups (in order)
Jake Benzinger (rFR)
Nathan Gilliam (rFR)
A’Lique Terry (JR)
Patrick Osterhage (rSOPH)

If the season started today, it sounds like Benzinger would get 15-20 planned snaps in an effort to get other OLs a breather. Nathan Gilliam could earn the same arrangement if he finishes camp strong. It is interesting to note that Wake is one OL injury away from having another freshman starting on the OL.

DEFENSE

Defensive Ends
Starters: Duke Ejiofor (rJR) and Wendell Dunn (rJR)
Backups: Several
There is a lot of competition not only for playing time, but I suspect to unseat Dunn as a starter. Paris Black (rFR), Chris Calhoun (SOPH) and Rashawn Shaw (rSOPH) are likely the three competing for an increased role, however Clawson sounds like he plans to take the redshirt off of either Zander Zimmer (FR), Emmanuel Walker (FR) or Boogie Basham (FR).

Defensive Tackles
Starters: Josh Banks (rSR) and OPEN
Backups: Shelldon Lewinson (rSR), Willie Yarbary (rSOPH) and Chris Stewart (rSOPH)
Note: It looks like a 4 man rotation at DT, with Sulaiman Kamara (FR) adding a fifth if he has a strong finish to camp.

Linebackers

Starters: Marquel Lee (SR) and Jaboree Williams (JR)
Top Backup: Grant Dawson (rJR)
Next Up: Competition for the 4th LB spot between Justin Strnad (rFR) and Nate Mays (rFR) with Jacquez Williams (FR) possibly getting in the mix if he has a strong finish to camp.

Rover
Starter: Demetrius Kemp (rSOPH)
Backup: Thomas Brown (SR)
Note: Brown could turn this into a committee situation like Williams/Kemp in 2015.

Cornerbacks

Starters: Brad Watson (SR) and Dionte Austin (SOPH)
Top Backup: Amari Henderson (rFR) – has a chance to unseat Austin for a starting role but has been slowed by injuries early in camp.
Next Up: Battle for the last spot on the 2-deep between Essang Bassey (FR) and Thomas Dillon (JR)

Safeties
Starters: Committee with Ryan Janvion (rSR), Cameron Glenn (rSOPH), and Jessie Bates (rFR)
Next Up: Probably Josh Okonye (rJR), although Traveon Redd (FR) could be in the mix here.

Placekickers

Mike Weaver (rJR)
Adam Centers (rSOPH) – will he be ready to handle kickoff duties?

Punter
Dom Maggio (FR)

Long Snapper
Garrett Wilson (SOPH)

Last edited:
Bassey has had a strong camp and in in play for the back up CB spot.

I think it is entirely possible that Greg Dortch plays in the slot with Chucky Wade moving outside. Dortch has been making big play after big play in Camp.

Wade seems like a good fit on the outside.

Bassey has had a strong camp and in in play for the back up CB spot.

I think it is entirely possible that Greg Dortch plays in the slot with Chucky Wade moving outside. Dortch has been making big play after big play in Camp.

I'm thinking Dortch might play more as our return man......punts and kick offs.

94, by my count we have 5 CBs (Watson, Dillon, Bassey, Austin, Henderson) Can you find any others?

John Armstrong is probably the sixth corner.

Back