• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Forest Football Preseason Thread

Deac94

Reaction score
OFFENSE

Quarterback
OPEN
Contenders for the starting role are John Wolford and Kendall Hinton

Running Back
Likely a 3-man committee with Cade Carney (FR), Tyler Bell (SOPH) and one other.

X-Receiver
Starter: Cortez Lewis (rSOPH)
Backup: Scotty Washington (rFR)
Note: Washington should see the field some. Even at the start of the season.

S-Receiver
Starter: Alex Bachman (JR)
Backup: Steven Claude (rFR)
Injured: Jared Crump (rSR)

Flanker / Slot Receiver
COMMITTEE - Tabari Hines (SOPH) AND Chuck Wade (SOPH)
Next Up: Greg Dortch

Tight End
Starter: Cam Serigne (rJR)
Backups: Devin Pike (JR) AND Brandon Chapman (FR)

Offensive Line
Starters:
LT Justin Herron (rSOPH)
LG Ty Hayworth (rSR)
C Josh Harris (SR)
RG Phil Haynes (rSOPH)
RT Ryan Anderson (rSOPH)

Top Backups (in order)
Jake Benzinger (rFR)
Nathan Gilliam (rFR)
A’Lique Terry (JR)
Patrick Osterhage (rSOPH)

If the season started today, it sounds like Benzinger would get 15-20 planned snaps in an effort to get other OLs a breather. Nathan Gilliam could earn the same arrangement if he finishes camp strong. It is interesting to note that Wake is one OL injury away from having another freshman starting on the OL.

DEFENSE

Defensive Ends
Starters: Duke Ejiofor (rJR) and Wendell Dunn (rJR)
Backups: Paris Black (rFR), Chris Calhoun (SOPH) and Rashawn Shaw (rSOPH)

Defensive Tackles
Starters: Josh Banks (rSR) and Willie Yarbary (rSOPH)
Backups: Shelldon Lewinson (rSR) and Chris Stewart (rSOPH)
Note: It looks like a 4 man rotation at DT, with Sulaiman Kamara (FR) adding a fifth if he has a strong finish to camp.

Linebackers
Starters: Marquel Lee (SR) and Jaboree Williams (JR)
Top Backup: Grant Dawson (rJR)
Next Up: Competition for the 4th LB spot between Justin Strnad (rFR) and Nate Mays (rFR) with Jacquez Williams (FR) possibly getting in the mix if he has a strong finish to camp.

Rover
Starter: Thomas Brown (SR)
Backup: Demetrius Kemp (rSOPH)
Note: This could be a committee situation like Williams/Kemp in 2015.

Cornerbacks
Brad Watson (SR) and Dionte Austin (SOPH)
Injured: Amari Henderson (rFR)
Next Up: Battle for the last spot on the 2-deep between Essang Bassey (FR) and Thomas Dillon (JR)

Safeties

Starters: COMMITTEE with Ryan Janvion (rSR), Cameron Glenn (rSOPH), and Jessie Bates (rFR)
Next Up: Probably Josh Okonye (rJR), although Traveon Redd (FR) could enter the mix.

Placekickers
Mike Weaver (rJR)
Adam Centers (rSOPH) – will he be ready to handle kickoff duties?

Punter
Dom Maggio (FR)

Long Snapper
Garrett Wilson (SOPH)

Last edited:
The first fall scrimmage has been scheduled for August 13th at 2pm.

Dan Collins reports that Tyler Bell will miss two weeks of camp with an ankle injury http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/football/deacons-offensive-coordinator-no-question-we-should-be-better/article_0cf20be2-1118-5531-b14b-62f2d5c5b087.html

Tyree Harris landed at Austin Peay http://www.theleafchronicle.com/story/sports/college/apsu/football/2016/07/29/ex-acc-wide-receiver-transfer-apsu-football/87746102/

Pro Football Focus named Duke Ejiofor as one of their Top 25 predicted breakout players for 2016. Then they ruin a spot-on write-up by incorrectly listing him as a DT.

11. Duke Ejiofor, DT, Wake Forest
2016 grade: 80.6 | 2015 snaps: 332
Injuries slowed Ejiofor down last season, but once he got back on the field in week six, he was Wake Forest’s most productive defensive linemen. Ejiofor’s strong hand usage allowed him to post a +13.4 pass rush grade as he picked up four sacks, two QB hits, and 16 hurries on only 207 rushes. He still has room to improve against the run, but with a full season of action, Ejiofor will be one of the ACC’s best pass rushers by year’s end.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/college-football-top-25-breakout-players-2016/

Tyree had a lot of promise I thought, something just didn't gel with the new staff.

Interesting line in the Tyree Harris article about getting his scholarship pulled to make room for more offensive lineman.

Good Luck Tyree and Go Peay!! 94, Maybe the staff is putting the DT out there because they'll put him inside on 3rd and long ala NYG NASCAR package of 4 pass rushers. Or maybe he's bigger than reported.

Last edited:
Other than quarterback, where are the position battles likely to happen?

Other than quarterback, where are the position battles likely to happen?

RB, who takes snaps at WR. How the rotation will go on the DL. Does Jaboree or Wary take most of the snaps at MLB? Does Kemo keep the momentum or does TBrown change positions and run it. How good is Jessie Bates and Cam Glenn?

I think the OL is one group that's already set; Heron, Hayworth, Harris, Haynes and Anderson

and hopefully along the OL

I am still waiting for some weight room reports that each member of the OL has put on 30 pounds of pure muscle, have each become mean as snakes, and can pick up and shot-put each other a good 5 yards.

I am still waiting for some weight room reports that each member of the OL has put on 30 pounds of pure muscle, have each become mean as snakes, and can pick up and shot-put each other a good 5 yards.

I get the sarcasm but pretty sure they don't need to put on weight, they need to put on athleticism.

I think the OL is one group that's already set; Heron, Hayworth, Harris, Haynes and Anderson

Sounds about right. Just let them gel together. Don't switch them out on every series.

Well he had Caldwell's OL depth.

Is Chris Stewart the perceived replacement for Zeek Rodney or could Kamara start as a freshman?

I think between Stewart and Calhoun, that that would be rotation. Sulaiman could be in the rotation. Almost had to be.

Last edited:
With fall camp opening today, here is my projected two-deep depth chart

OFFENSE

Quarterback:
OPEN

Running Back:

COMMITTEE (likely Tyler Bell (SOPH) plus two out of Rocky Reid (rFR), Cade Carney (FR), Matt Colburn (SOPH) and Arkeem Byrd (FR))

X-Receiver:

Cortez Lewis (rSOPH)
Scotty Washington (rFR) – could earn 20-25% of snaps

S-Receiver:
Jared Crump (rSR)
Steven Claude (rFR) – could earn 20-25% of snaps

Flanker / Slot Receiver:
Tabari Hines (SOPH) AND Chuck Wade (SOPH) - committee situation
Note: Wade played some S in the spring, but I strongly suspect that he will remain at the Slot. Worth watching though.

Tight End:
Cam Serigne (rJR)
Devin Pike (JR) AND Brandon Chapman (FR)
Note: The earlier that Brandon Chapman can assume a blocking role (and the better he does it) the more I think the offense can diversify (i.e. outside running game etc)

Left Tackle:
Justin Herron (rSOPH)
Jake Benzinger (rFR)

Left Guard:
Ty Hayworth (rSR)
T.J. Haney (rFR)

Center:
Josh Harris (SR)
A’Lique Terry (JR)

Right Guard:
Phil Haynes (rSOPH)

Right Tackle:
Ryan Anderson (rSOPH)
Nathan Gilliam (rFR)

Notes: Taleni Suhren could earn a spot on the two-deep with a strong camp, but I think the hope is that he can be redshirted. Gilliam and Benzinger could easily be reversed with respect to second-team LT/RT. I think Phil Haynes and Ryan Anderson could flip spots if Haynes is healthy and improved in camp.

DEFENSE

Defensive Ends:
Duke Ejiofor (rJR) and OPEN
Favorites for the open spot are Wendell Dunn (rJR), Paris Black (rFR) and Chris Calhoun (SOPH). Rashawn Shaw (rSOPH), Zander Zimmer (FR), Emmanuel Walker (FR) and Boogie Basham (FR) could all put themselves into contention with a solid camp.

Nose Tackle:
Shelldon Lewinson (rSR)
Note: No idea who the second-string would be. Also I don’t know which inside position Sulaiman Kamara (FR) will play.

Defensive Tackle:
Josh Banks (rSR)
Chris Stewart (rSOPH)

BUCK Linebacker:
Jaboree Williams (JR)
Zack Wary (rSOPH)
Note: This is technically an open spot. I just think that Jaboree goes into camp as solid favorite to hold off Zack Wary and Grant Dawson.

MIKE Linebacker:
Marquel Lee (SR)
Grant Dawson (rJR)

Rover:
Demetrius Kemp (rSOPH)
Thomas Brown (SR)
Note: Brown could turn this into a committee situation like Williams/Kemp in 2015.

Cornerbacks:
Brad Watson (SR) and OPEN
Contenders for the open spot are Dionte Austin (SOPH) and Amari Henderson (rFR)

Safeties:
OPEN and OPEN
Contenders for the open spots are Ryan Janvion (rSR), Cameron Glenn (rSOPH), and Jessie Bates (rFR)
Note: Traveon Redd (FR) and Josh Okonye (rJR) have an outside chance at earning playing time if they have strong camps.

Placekicker:
Mike Weaver (rJR)
Adam Centers (rSOPH)

Punter:
Dom Maggio (FR)

Last edited:
With fall camp opening today, here is my projected two-deep depth chart

OFFENSE

Quarterback:
OPEN

Running Back:

COMMITTEE (likely Tyler Bell (SOPH) plus two out of Rocky Reid (rFR), Cade Carney (FR), Matt Colburn (SOPH) and Arkeem Byrd (FR))

X-Receiver:

Cortez Lewis (rSOPH)
Scotty Washington (rFR) – could earn 20-25% of snaps

S-Receiver:
Jared Crump (rSR)
Steven Claude (rFR) – could earn 20-25% of snaps

Flanker / Slot Receiver:
Tabari Hines (SOPH) AND Chuck Wade (SOPH) - committee situation
Note: Wade played some S in the spring, but I strongly suspect that he will remain at the Slot. Worth watching though.

Tight End:
Cam Serigne (rJR)
Devin Pike (JR) AND Brandon Chapman (FR)
Note: The earlier that Brandon Chapman can assume a blocking role (and the better he does it) the more I think the offense can diversify (i.e. outside running game etc)

Left Tackle:
Justin Herron (rSOPH)
Jake Benzinger (rFR)

Left Guard:
Ty Hayworth (rSR)
T.J. Haney (rFR)

Center:
Josh Harris (SR)
A’Lique Terry (JR)

Right Guard:
Phil Haynes (rSOPH)

Right Tackle:
Ryan Anderson (rSOPH)
Nathan Gilliam (rFR)

Notes: Taleni Suhren could earn a spot on the two-deep with a strong camp, but I think the hope is that he can be redshirted. Gilliam and Benzinger could easily be reversed with respect to second-team LT/RT. I think Phil Haynes and Ryan Anderson could flip spots if Haynes is healthy and improved in camp.

DEFENSE

Defensive Ends:
Duke Ejiofor (rJR) and OPEN
Favorites for the open spot are Wendell Dunn (rJR) and Chris Calhoun (SOPH). Rashawn Shaw (rSOPH), Zander Zimmer (FR), Emmanuel Walker (FR) and Boogie Basham (FR) could all put themselves into contention with a solid camp.

Nose Tackle:
Shelldon Lewinson (rSR)
Note: No idea who the second-string would be. Also I don’t know which inside position Sulaiman Kamara (FR) will play.

Defensive Tackle:
Josh Banks (rSR)
Chris Stewart (rSOPH)

BUCK Linebacker:
Jaboree Williams (JR)
Zack Wary (rSOPH)
Note: This is technically an open spot. I just think that Jaboree goes into camp as solid favorite to hold off Zack Wary and Grant Dawson.

MIKE Linebacker:
Marquel Lee (SR)
Grant Dawson (rJR)

Rover:
Demetrius Kemp (rSOPH)
Thomas Brown (SR)
Note: Brown could turn this into a committee situation like Williams/Kemp in 2015.

Cornerbacks:
Brad Watson (SR) and OPEN
Contenders for the open spot are Dionte Austin (SOPH) and Amari Henderson (rFR)

Safeties:
OPEN and OPEN
Contenders for the open spots are Ryan Janvion (rSR), Cameron Glenn (rSOPH), and Jessie Bates (rFR)
Note: Traveon Redd (FR) and Josh Okonye (rJR) have an outside chance at earning playing time if they have strong camps.

Placekicker:
Mike Weaver (rJR)
Adam Centers (rSOPH)

Punter:
Dom Maggio (FR)

Defensive line depth concerns me, would look a lot better if we had Zeek Rodney. Hard to believe Janvion is not nailed down as a starter?

Grobe did it in his run happy years.

He also had a coherent and effective blocking scheme. Our OLs are not good at this scheme. It's like LOBO trying to get huge OTs to cut block when they spent the past years learning how to pass block.

Back