• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Preseason Bahamas Basketball Thread

Good to see so much enthusiastic discussion on the team after just one glorified scrimmage. But I think we are all seeing the potential of some of our young guys, as well as our returning sophs plus transfers, and it's like a ray of light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully it's not a freight train of unfulfilled expectations.

I think if these minutes predictions for G-Mc and Wilbekin come to fruition, then we'll be taking a step in the right direction as it will mean that Arians, Woods, Chill and hopefully one of the other 3 frosh are more multi-dimensional players capable of contributing as much if not much more than the more experienced, yet more limited aforementioned guys.

Make no mistake, we will still need contributions from each, but hopefully it will be a fairly painless transition to key reserve or intangible spark plug (in Greg's case) in that they still feel like value-adding contributors to a more successful program overall. Obviously the ACC is a very tough grind, but with several middle of the pack teams losing key players as well, perhaps we will be as competitive as we've been in years when it comes to the second or middle tier of the conference.

At least it's nice to dream about the possibilities in mid-August due to some on the court performance. So cue the horrible shooting night and a struggle to put away the CTG Knights later today! ;-)

Aim may be 22 minutes a game, but I'll have to see it to believe it that his stamina and foul trouble won't prevent him getting there. The late-game stretch where he had some solid performances last year is definitely encouraging. There's no reason why Doral should ever try to do anything other than dunk it when he's within arm's length of the basket.

Last season, he also hit a few baseline and lane jumpers. His FT motion shows a nice touch. I have no problem with him shooting from 8-12'. I do agree that if he gets within 3' to take to the rim. Even if he get fouled he can hit FTs.

Having a couple outside threats who can consistently knock down a three rather than just one guy who occasionally hits a few does wonders for offensive spacing and stretching out/wearing down the defense.

Seems like most everyone wants to see the Crawford, Woods, Arians, Collins, Moore lineup. This group has 3 shooters to provide spacing, at least one (BC) and probably two (Woods) guys who can drive and dish. Dinos would obviously play a lot subbing frequently for Collins/Moore so that each is around 25 minutes. That being said, I can't remember seeing Collins and Moore ever play together. For those of you with bball knowledge, is there a specific reason why those 2 might not work together beyond fouling issues or stamina? JC seems like a prototypical 4 and Moore the classic 5.

Agree that those two should play together, but Manning did not feel that way last year. I don't think they played together yesterday either, so this appears to be a Manning thing.

I still have no clue about Van Horn getting the minutes he gets. Must be one hell of a locker room guy or practice player. I don't think he would get major minutes at division II or III schools.

One of the possible reasons JC and Doral didn't play together yesterday (and may not the rest of the trip) is that Danny wants to have one of them on the court at nearly all the time. If they play together, and we don't have Dinos, then the next group won't have a big with any experience.

I don't think much should be made of it this week.

Niki Arinze is the player you were referring to. McClinton was nowhere near as good as Arinze.

Statistically, I disagree. My memory is foggy, but I looked it up. Arinze averaged 3.5 pts a game after his injury and 7 pts a game in 20 minutes pre-injury frosh year. McClinton's averaged 3.5 pts a game in 10 minutes a game. I remember Niki Arinze as a poor man's LD Williams. Above average rebounder from the 3 with above average athleticism, not a good % shooter from the 2 or 3, no range. This is McClinton as well. Granted, for whatever reason, Greg has not displayed the athleticism in games he had in high school pre ACL tear. But I think McClinton is going to surprise a little bit. I really do.

RJ defined what a glue guy - for the NBA. In college I don't think a glue guy needs an elite skill. Bruce Bowen was an elite defender who became an above average 3-point shooter. He was an NBA glue guy. In college, you just need to share the ball, don't pull down the team in anything you do, and be above average doing one or two things. I think Greg can be an ACC level above average defender and rebounder from the 3. Now, if he can make great cuts to the basket and catch a pass and turn it into an easy layup 3X a game, he's a college glue guy IMO.

Last edited:
bone, you're basically saying if things work out perhaps maybe McClinton can be close to as good as Arinze was as a freshman starter averaging 7 pts, 6 reb at SF.

This is an awful lot of discussion about a player we're all hoping leaves after this season.

I'm saying statistically he is already there just in half the minutes Arinze got frosh year. I'd like to see McC improve on that and I think he can. I think having more shooters on the court when he's playing will help him find space. He just has to find the space. Against a shitty team yesterday, in the first 5 minutes, he did and I was impressed. I think he got 3 quick buckets as a result.

I didn't say elite. I said a general skill. He is often lost on D. Greg tries hard, but he has shown nothing that he could be close to an average ACC defender much less an above average one.

Before his injury, he was a great athlete. Unfortunately, that hasn't returned.

RE: Bowen - Bowen led the NBA in 3 point shooting and came in 9th another year. He was 39.3% career 3 pt shooter. That's not above average. That's #51 all time and elite.

One of the possible reasons JC and Doral didn't play together yesterday (and may not the rest of the trip) is that Danny wants to have one of them on the court at nearly all the time. If they play together, and we don't have Dinos, then the next group won't have a big with any experience.

I don't think much should be made of it this week.

I thought this was the exact reason they didn't play together yesterday. If you have to take them out, you've got SJM down low right now.

I thought this was the exact reason they didn't play together yesterday. If you have to take them out, you've got SJM down low right now.

If there's any time to "risk" playing Collins and Moore together, it's during an exhibition tournament against teams from Canada and the Bahamas.

Exactly, you want to use these games as exotic practices. A coach wants to try to run certain offenses and defenses.Without a big on the court, you can't do either.

Coaches have to find ways to get their most talented players on the floor together. Collins is likely our 2nd best player. Moore is either 3rd or 4th with Woods being the other consideration. You have to find a way to put them out there together. That may necessitate playing zone. JC may struggle to guard a stretch 4 man to man. If that is the case then we have to become competent at a 2-3 zone. Hide Doral in the middle and JC should be able to handle his responsibilities as well. You can't play much zone with small guards, however, so when you go zone you need BC and Woods up top. Wilbekin and Chill are not long enough. People just shoot right over them. The 2-3 would also help hide Arians limited quickness. Coach hates zone, but he has to move out of his comfort zone and do what puts us in the best position to win.

I'm pretty psyched to watch us play tonight. Glad it's a night game so I an dial in and give a CreamyAssessment of the new guys

Back