• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Preseason Bahamas Basketball Thread

Playing a zone in the ACC with all those great shooters is extremely dangerous. It's even more difficult when you have 3-4 new starters. To play it well and efficiently, you must practice it a lot. Otherwise, you'll create lay-up drills and wide open shots.

With the tema we have, I'd be more for pressing full court or zone traps than full on zones. We should spend almost all of our time on playing man-to-man.

You almost have to play Collins and Moore as 5's until either can prove they can play 30 minutes a game without fouling out.

Collins has a long way to go defensively before he can guard the modern 4.

Yep. We need at least 1 of Moore and Collins on the floor at all times. Playing them together extensively increases the possibility of neither being to play for stretches.

They need to learn to play without fouling out or they aren't that useful. There's no reason each can't play over 20 mpg. The 80 mpg at PF/game should have 5-8 mpg for Sam and Dinos/JC/Doral getting the rest.

Austin isn't big enough to play PF and won't rebound well. hopefully, Donovan will earn some minutes by mid-season.

I just want to see a 3 man game with Collins at the high post---Arians/Woods on the 3pt line and Moore on the opposite block. Collins can hit that 15 footer if they lay off. If they come up close he has shown he can take it to the rim. If the wing defender collapses he can dish for the 3. If Moore's man comes over even a bit its a lob dunk. We finally have the pieces to put real pressure on a defense. Moore's height and lob dunking ability is a huge weapon particularly combined with our other pieces.

I just want to see a 3 man game with Collins at the high post---Arians/Woods on the 3pt line and Moore on the opposite block. Collins can hit that 15 footer if they lay off. If they come up close he has shown he can take it to the rim. If the wing defender collapses he can dish for the 3. If Moore's man comes over even a bit its a lob dunk. We finally have the pieces to put real pressure on a defense. Moore's height and lob dunking ability is a huge weapon particularly combined with our other pieces.

I like this idea in theory. Hopefully JC will continue to improve as a passer and defensively so he's not in constant foul trouble. If he is playing consistent minutes and can stay in the flow of the game, then he will relax a bit more and let the game come to him more, play within the offense and possibly excel in the high post feeding Doral and 3-pt bombers KW, BC squared, Arians and Wilbs.

The Bahamas site has put up some stats: http://www.sportingpulse.com/comp_info.cgi?c=11-8728-176104-417427-0&pool=0&round=0&a=STATS

Some interesting numbers; Bryant Crawford went 3-15 from 3pt range and 14-17 from 2pt range. Most of those were layups, but damn. he averaged 15, 3, 4 with 4 TOs. I don't think he played more than 20-25 minutes in these games, but I think we need him to brush up against 18/19 pts, 4 boards, 6 assists per game and keep his TOs there at 4 or just under. I think he can hit that.

Greg McClinton shot 90% from the field. Arians and Woods and Chill shot over 50% from 3. We had 4 guys in double figures and I think those four guys need to stay in double figures for us to have success: Crawford, Collins, Arians, and Woods. Between 11.33 and 15 pts per game. Again, I think Crawford could and should be our leading scorer in the 18-20 pt range, and I would like to see Collins at about 15 and the rest over 10. Throw in Dinos, who I am hoping can rebound and be a double figure scorer and we should have some nice scoring balance this year.

Doral really struggled. 1 block in 3 games. Minimal scoring outside dunks and not much rebounding (3.3 per game). Sam, I would say, exceeded expectations at 4.3 pts, 4.3 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game.

For that environment and compared to other teams that we played, we did not generate many steals. This was a problem last year and looks like it might continue to be a problem.

Crawford clearly has the talent. However, I did not get the sense that he ran the team particularly well during this trip. Probably should not read too much into a quasi-pickup game with liberal substitutions etc. However, during the 2nd game he was single handedly responsible for a 10 point shift where we went from blowing them out to a not-to-comfortable lead---which came from bad passes and missed pull-up 3s that didn't need to happen. Not what you expect from best player/PG. He has talked about leading by example in some interviews this pre-season but he was probably the only player who stood out in this regard--everybody else took reasonable shots in flow of game etc. Last year, these issues were part of being a freshman--hopefully this aspect of his game takes a leap as well.

Is this the de facto 2017 basketball thread? Whether it is or isn't, wish B-Chill a happy b-day today!

When does the full schedule come out? IIRC, it's been about this time the last couple years.

Back