• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson's biggest loss ( ESPN )

HONDO2

Reaction score
Dave Clawson, Wake Forest: Youngstown State 37, Villanova 34, 1997

1997, Villanova. We were 12-0 and the No. 1 team in the country and we played Youngstown State that year in the second round of the playoffs. We had a punt blocked. We got sacked and they picked it up and returned it for a touchdown and we lost a heartbreaking game to Youngstown, who went on to win a national championship. Even 20 years later, that one still stings. That was probably a team that was good enough to win a national championship and we beat ourselves against a very well-coached team.

It's just like Senator Tressel to win a games like that. In his mind the most important play in football is the punt.

2011 loss to Clemsom killed me cause we would have returned to the ACCC

If it spared us from what West Virginia did to Clemson in the OB, I'm OK with it

The game played in Death Valley when Wake is the opponent is simply rigged as shown by the years of terrible officiating. Always will be too.

Please be more specific.

Lol.

The year (was it 2009?) with all the phantom pass interference calls in the freakin' end zone vs. the Deacs.
The year with all the phantom holding calls vs. the Deacs (Barclay was on that team - 2003)?

There are others.

Lol.

The year (was it 2009?) with all the phantom pass interference calls in the freakin' end zone vs. the Deacs.
The year with all the phantom holding calls vs. the Deacs (Barclay was on that team - 2003)?

There are others.

There was a phantom PI call in the end zone very late in the 2003 game that cost us that one as well.

02 and 04 were the bad Clemson L years. Wish we coulda won down there at least once during our good run

The game played in Death Valley when Wake is the opponent is simply rigged as shown by the years of terrible officiating. Always will be too.

Yeah it sucks. It's not like we're often in a position to win down there and then when we are we've got to overcome the zebras too.

'04 still kills me. I grew up going to every Clemson game and was a huge fan. We played them at DV for the first game my freshman year at WF. A phantom PI at the end of the game signaled the end of my Clemson fandom and I've never looked back.

'04 still kills me. I grew up going to every Clemson game and was a huge fan. We played them at DV for the first game my freshman year at WF. A phantom PI at the end of the game signaled the end of my Clemson fandom and I've never looked back.

That's the way it's gotta be, man. They take it away from our boys, no quarter...

I grew up a Clemson fan and when we lost down there in 2002 that pretty much ended my fandom. That was back when refs didn't identify which player was being flagged and I swear we had like 10 holding calls that the refs just made up. I think they may have changed the rule that next offseason and I'm convinced that game had something to do with it.

2011 was the worst one for me. Win that game and we're back in the ACC championship.

Didn't call Dwayne Allen for an illegal touching for running OB before catching a pass in the end zone

2011 was the worst one for me. Win that game and we're back in the ACC championship.

Didn't call Dwayne Allen for an illegal touching for running OB before catching a pass in the end zone

That game was crushing. The shockwaves we could have set off had we won. We get so few chances at the brass ring. Wonder where our program would be now? Gentleman Jim still at the helm getting ready to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the 2006 season?

That game was crushing. The shockwaves we could have set off had we won. We get so few chances at the brass ring. Wonder where our program would be now? Gentleman Jim still at the helm getting ready to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the 2006 season?

Absolutely. You get to 2 ACC championships in 5 years at Wake? Coach for Life.

Back