• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CJ Leak

Caldwell got in real good with Leak's parents. To top it off, Caldwell offered CJ's little brother a scholarship as an 8th grader. Note: Chris Leak led UF to a National Championship.

CJ Leak had a big arm, but no accuracy and he wasn't particularly mobile.

CJ Leak split time with MacPherson because MacPherson got the job done and Leak just wasn't ready to start. Then Leak got killed at Clemson. I haven't seen footage of it since it happened, but it's one of the worst injuries I remember seeing of a Wake player.

He wasn't going to be the starter over MacPherson if he came back healthy.

I recall a thread on Scout in which you were giving us info from one of his first games. Something like "CJ is pretty big and jumps up quickly after being knocked down, which is happening often"

Leak started 4 games at QB at Tennessee, and did nothing. His career passing stats for the Vols are as follows:

11 for 22 122 yards 1 TD. 9 carries -23 yards. During his senior year at Tennessee, they moved Leak to safety, and he didn't play very much if at all.

I recall a thread on Scout in which you were giving us info from one of his first games. Something like "CJ is pretty big and jumps up quickly after being knocked down, which is happening often"

Hahaha. I don't remember that but it's hilarious.

He thought the big bang theory killed the dinosaurs. Or at least he said so in sociology class.

Leak started 4 games at QB at Tennessee, and did nothing. His career passing stats for the Vols are as follows:

11 for 22 122 yards 1 TD. 9 carries -23 yards. During his senior year at Tennessee, they moved Leak to safety, and he didn't play very much if at all.

I think there's several of us on this board that could do no worse in 4 starts for UT.

I know everyone has always been kind of down on CJ Leak because he never panned out, but have you thought for a moment that he might have ultimately been more successful if he had gone to a big football factory like one of the other schools on his list, where they would have made him a fourth string QB and switched him to Safety after a couple of years? I know his dad wanted him to be an NFL QB and Caldwell pretty much guaranteed him every opportunity to start early in his career, but it's not like the guy was totally devoid of football talent.

Clemson's coach said something about making him pay for snubbing them in the week leading up to our game. There was a pretty big uproar among Wake fans after the high/low hit that wrecked his knee.

He had great size and athleticism but any chance he ever had at being developed into quarterback went out the window with that injury.

a player or coach at Clemson was quoted in the paper prior to the game with Wake that they were mad that they hadn't "taken out" an opposing qb yet that year. Sure enough, Leak gets his knee mangled that game. Afterwards, lots of backtracking from the Clemson team about what "taking out" meant......

I remember reading about CJ's committment in USA today as "the biggest signing day surprise " or something like that. Man, I was pumped. Too bad he ended up being so terrible and then getting hurt and then being a douche.

I know everyone has always been kind of down on CJ Leak because he never panned out, but have you thought for a moment that he might have ultimately been more successful if he had gone to a big football factory like one of the other schools on his list, where they would have made him a fourth string QB and switched him to Safety after a couple of years? I know his dad wanted him to be an NFL QB and Caldwell pretty much guaranteed him every opportunity to start early in his career, but it's not like the guy was totally devoid of football talent.

No, he just sucked.

Caldwell got in real good with Leak's parents. To top it off, Caldwell offered CJ's little brother a scholarship as an 8th grader. Note: Chris Leak led UF to a National Championship.

CJ Leak had a big arm, but no accuracy and he wasn't particularly mobile.

CJ Leak split time with MacPherson because MacPherson got the job done and Leak just wasn't ready to start. Then Leak got killed at Clemson. I haven't seen footage of it since it happened, but it's one of the worst injuries I remember seeing of a Wake player.

He wasn't going to be the starter over MacPherson if he came back healthy.

All true and he also got far too muscle bound, too heavy and was not mobile at all, which led to his "sackability". By the time he went to UT he was so big I believe he was playing defense. Coach Caldwell had this thing about guys being able to bench over 300 pounds, trying to reach the FSU status, but a lot ended up immobile and out of shape [see Nate Bolling vs App State in the Cramp Game!]

Back