• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Final Pre-Season OGBoards Record Outlook

StrickDeac

Reaction score
Was inspired from our folks over at BSD:
http://www.bloggersodear.com/2016/8/24/12622480/bsd-staff-season-predictions-wake-forest-acc-ncaa-football

9/1 Tulane
The Deacs get off to a fast start trouncing the Green Wave by multiple scores. The running game is fantastic, both QBs play well, and the defense pitches a first half shut out.

9/10 at Duke
In a tough, hard fought game, Wake restores the winning ways over Duke. Duke's sloppy QB play makes multiple unforced errors, and we escape a game where we're equally sloppy and maybe should have lost. Everyone is says "We're 2-0, but how?!" Both QBs play. Both sloppy.

9/17 Delaware
Deacs take Delaware lightly and it's closer than what we like. We still win by multiple scores.

9/24 at Indiana
Another very sloppy game on both sides. This time, it goes the other way. We lose a game we feel like we should have won. People on OGBoards are fighting and polling about the QBs.

10/1 at NC State
The hangover from Indiana continues and the Wolfpack smack us around again. Niether QB seperates.

10/8 Syracuse
Rebound game! The Deacs take care of the Orange in a close one. One QB plays well, the other doesn't. The one that plays well is deemed "The Starter"

10/15 at FSU
Wake plays inspired ball and even leads for a little in the 1H. FSU is too much and wins by multiple scores in the end.

10/29 Army
Other QB comes in and the Deacons continue their winning ways over the Black Knights and move to 1 game away from bowl eligibility. We have a QB controversy again.

11/5 Virginia
Bowling! Wake knocks off a UVA team that has clocked out on the season.

11/12 at Louisville
A week after celebrating going bowling, the Deacons get blown out by Louisville, who is a surprise 2nd place team in the Atlantic

11/19 Clemson
Another inspiring performance, but another defeat to one of the best teams in the country playing for a playoff spot.

11/26 Boston College
Wake ends the season on another sloppy, ugly game (that they win) in front of a tiny crowd on Thanksgiving weekend.

Wake ends the year at 7-5 (4-4). Optimistic? Yes. With 3 OOC cupcakes + the 3 worst teams in the ACC + a HC in his third year, you've got to be... right? A lot rides on that Duke game in week 2.

Last edited:
I break it down this way:

Must-Wins: Tulane, Delaware, Army (3)
Need 2/3: UVA, Cuse, BC (2)
Need 1/3: State, Duke, Indiana (1)
Unlikely: FSU, Clemson, Louisville

I see 6-6.

Tulane - W
Duke - L
Delaware - W
Indiana - L
State - L
Syracuse - W
FSU - L
Army - W
UVA - W
Louisville - L
Clemson - L
BC - W

6-6 (3-5)

Pretty chalk, if I had to pick a big upset I'd say we beat FSU out of FSU/Louisville/Clemson. Wouldn't be surprised if we beat Duke or State and lost to BC or Syracuse.

@FSU and Clemson here are probably similar odds, but I'd take the home game over winning in Tallahassee.

Yeah I don't like our chances in any three of those at all, so taking the home game I guess is a good pick. On the other hand I think Clemson is substantially better than UL and FSU.

Yeah I don't like our chances in any three of those at all, so taking the home game I guess is a good pick. On the other hand I think Clemson is substantially better than UL and FSU.

Yep.

I think UL knocks off the Noles on 9/17 too.

It would be nice to start beating Duke again. Grobe OWNED them and then Coach Peyton Manning/Cut/K/ESPN PR machine started to hurt us in recruiting. That, and Grobe finally lost to them.

Wins: Tulane, Delaware, Army, UVA, Syracuse, BC

6-6 (3-5)

I break it down this way:

Must-Wins: Tulane, Delaware, Army (3)
Need 2/3: UVA, Cuse, BC (2)
Need 1/3: State, Duke, Indiana (1)
Unlikely: FSU, Clemson, Louisville

I see 6-6.

Yep. That's a very thin margin of error when you consider all three in the "Need 1/3" group are on the road within 4 weeks with only Delaware in between. Beating BC to get 6 wins will require putting things back together after likely losses against Louisville and Clemson. I think it's more likely we will win against all three "Need 2/3" teams than we get one road win against the "Need 1/3" group.

Yep. That's a very thin margin of error when you consider all three in the "Need 1/3" group are on the road within 4 weeks with only Delaware in between. Beating BC to get 6 wins will require putting things back together after likely losses against Louisville and Clemson. I think it's more likely we will win against all three "Need 2/3" teams than we get one road win against the "Need 1/3" group.

Think those three games have like a 25, 30, 30 percent chance, so 1 win is favored over zero. As odd as it sounds, it may be harder to get 2 from the "need 2" group from a statistics standpoint.

I feel pretty strongly that we will be at 5 wins going into BC. Not sure why, but I think that's the make or break game for our year.

Tulane - W
Duke - L
Delaware - W
Indiana - W (unlikely but WTH)
State - L
Syracuse - W
FSU - L
Army - W
UVA - W
Louisville - L
Clemson - L
BC - W

7-5 and we're in the Independence Bowl. I'll take it.

I also see the crazy old man aka BKF has been adding tags again.

I feel pretty strongly that we will be at 5 wins going into BC. Not sure why, but I think that's the make or break game for our year.

Quite possible. Could be a bowl decider as BC's OOC sched is shittier than ours.

'cuse will be pivotal too, they have a pretty toughish run with vs Loui/vs USF/@ UConn/vs ND before they play us, unlikely to win more than 1 in those 4 -- so they will be targeting that game much like we will

Last edited:
Quite possible. Could be a bowl decider as BC's OOC sched is shittier than ours

Interesting comp (looking at the firsts Sagarin rankings from this year which are definitely not well connected/a great source to look at yet, but alas I did) and I looked this up because I didn't believe that was possible, but.....

Wake: Tulane (141) , Army (98), Delaware (173), @Indiana (56) = 117

BC: @UMass (125), Wagner (232) , Buffalo (121), UConn (90) = 142

Those are two bad OOC schedules, but BC takes the cake. Wagner is really bad.

For comparison sakes, bookie win totals:

BC between 6-6 1/2
Wake between 5 1/2-6
Syracuse close to 4

Duke is between 5-5 1/2 though I feel they are perpetually underrated

9/1 Tulane - WIN
9/10 at Duke - LOSS
9/17 Delaware - WIN
9/24 at Indiana - LOSS
10/1 at NC State - LOSS
10/8 Syracuse - WIN
10/15 at FSU - LOSS
10/29 Army - WIN
11/5 Virginia - WIN
11/12 at Louisville - LOSS
11/19 Clemson - LOSS
11/26 Boston College - WIN

6-6... A "boring" season where we pretty much win the games we are supposed to win and lose the games we are supposed to lose.

Likely wins: Tulane, Delaware, Army (3-0)
Toss-ups home: Syracuse, UVA, BC (1.5-1.5)
Toss-ups away: Indiana, Duke, NC State (0-3)
Unlikely wins: FSU, Louisville, Clemson (0-3)

4 wins; possible to get 5 w/ 2-4 among toss-ups

Saying we can win 3-4 toss-ups is a really best case scenario vice a real prediction. Team has yet to show any proclivity to win against ACC. Not saying we can't do it, just that it hasn't been shown yet by this team.

If you go by Clawson's past coaching record, he is due to win the ACC Championship; therefore, Wake is a lock to go 11-1 or 12-0...my pea brain still says 4-8.

Back