• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HB2 Strikes Again

You don't think one of those crimes is way more likely to be reported (both to the police and by the media) than the other?

No. People don't report when they get assaulted? There were 3375 reported aggravated assaults in Charlotte in 2015, compared to 286 rapes.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/CMPD/safety/CrimeStat/Documents/CS15YrEnd-Summary.pdf

And the proponents of the ordinance couldn't find one that was a transgendered person being assaulted in a bathroom? Seems like this is certainly the widespread problem that needed to be addressed!!!

LOL, yeah, the same old white males who passed H2B which basically said "individuals with penises who want to wear dresses, come pee next to me." I can't believe how much they hate!

Some people are boycotting out of the fear of being labeled racist, hater, xenophobe, etc, others are acting to continue pushing the "conservatives/Reps HATE everything and everybody" narrative. Knee-jerk PC extremism has become pretty powerful.

That's not what the HB2 stated at all.

I disagree. That relocation effort will be a net win as they open up the bidding for other cities to get in the mix. Especially in the ACC's instance since they will have a tournament in NY to use as a baseline to get back up there. You are a fool if you think social conscience is driving these moves, it is all about $$.

So the ACC wasn't really trying to make money before but NOW they're going to cash in.

Gotcha.

That's actually a great point....so I looked it up. At the core of the bathroom issue is the concept that an individual can choose which gender they prefer....so if someone self-identifies as a woman then they can use the woman's room/lockeroom. Not allowing them to self-identify is being called discrimination.

The NCAA policy is as follows: "Any transgender student-athlete who is not taking hormone treatment related to gender transition may participate in sex-separated sports activities in accordance with his or her assigned birth gender."

http://www.transathlete.com/policies-college

The NCAA policy does not allow an individual to self-identify their gender. According to the arguments being made against H2B, the NCAA is practicing the same "discrimination".

Thanks for the info

It will be interesting to see if the NCAA taking this particular stance against HB2 will spill over into more scrutiny of their own policy.

I think that they are probably two very different and separate issues but we'll see what happens in time. I don't have a problem with them having this policy while also protesting the greater issues of HB2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except NCAA "discrimination" has a legitimate purpose - to keep the playing field level.

There's no legitimate purpose to the bathroom regulations. And no, the mythical "right to privacy" doesn't count as legitimate.

I would imagine that the NCAA generally follows the guidelines of all of the world sports umbrella organizations (FIFA, WTA, etc), the IOC, and anti-doping agencies when determining what gender participants are allow to compete as. That really has nothing to do with going to the bathroom.

So the ACC wasn't really trying to make money before but NOW they're going to cash in.

Gotcha.

Oh for sure, they were trying to make money before, but now see an opportunity to make more money based on the timing. Same reason they want to re-up their TV contracts at every earliest opportunity. Sports revenue increases over time, not decreases. They can charge higher contract prices in 2016 than they could in 2012 or whenever they set the current deals.

Oh for sure, they were trying to make money before, but now see an opportunity to make more money based on the timing. Same reason they want to re-up their TV contracts at every earliest opportunity. Sports revenue increases over time, not decreases. They can charge higher contract prices in 2016 than they could in 2012 or whenever they set the current deals.

That's a red herring. How is the ACC going to make more money by taking a stand against HB2 ?

That's a red herring. How is the ACC going to make more money by taking a stand against HB2 ?

THEY CAN CHARGE MORE TO MOVE IT TO ORLANDO NOW!!!

Either that, or millennials who weren't already watching will now watch the sports because they align with their viewpoints on societal issues.

Oh wait, I get it. They use HB2 as an excuse to leave Charlotte for a year or maybe two; then when they come back, they extort more money form Charlotte to play the game there, even though it's the only logical place to play the game in the first place as demonstrated by every other ACCCG played elsewere. Diabolical !

Except NCAA "discrimination" has a legitimate purpose - to keep the playing field level.

There's no legitimate purpose to the bathroom regulations. And no, the mythical "right to privacy" doesn't count as legitimate.

This strikes me as a cop out. Yeah, male to female transgenders might win female sporting events, who cares? Why does that make you uncomfortable? In a life of discrimination you want to take away the possibility of them winning because you don't like that they might, for once, have advantages? Do you think people would game the system Juwanna Man style?

Why does your discomfort with MtF winning meaningless sporting events matter but people's discomforts peeing and pooping next to transgenders not matter? They're both ultimately not a big deal, right?

This strikes me as a cop out. Yeah, male to female transgenders might win female sporting events, who cares? Why does that make you uncomfortable? In a life of discrimination you want to take away the possibility of them winning because you don't like that they might, for once, have advantages? Do you think people would game the system Juwanna Man style?

Why does your discomfort with MtF winning meaningless sporting events matter but people's discomforts peeing and pooping next to transgenders not matter? They're both ultimately not a big deal, right?

Well, just to start, a transgender going to the bathroom has absolutely no impact on other people in the bathroom. If you are competing in an event where somebody has a biological advantage due to enhanced testosterone, then it directly impacts the other competitors.

I agree with you that at the end of the day it doesn't really matter because it's a sporting event, but in one case nobody is impacted directly, and in another case every competitor is impacted directly.

Last edited:
Everybody knows these things never work out.

Ladybugs.jpg

No. People don't report when they get assaulted? There were 3375 reported aggravated assaults in Charlotte in 2015, compared to 286 rapes.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/CMPD/safety/CrimeStat/Documents/CS15YrEnd-Summary.pdf

And the proponents of the ordinance couldn't find one that was a transgendered person being assaulted in a bathroom? Seems like this is certainly the widespread problem that needed to be addressed!!!

Maybe there was reported assaults and probably there were unreported assaults.

But that's not what any of this was about. The Charlotte law wasn't "addressing" assault stats against transgender individuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not what the HB2 stated at all.

No, but it's this weird new way of trying to spin the bill as being inclusive. I've seen it used a couple of places now. The argument has gone from "THE PENISES WILL TOUCH MY DAUGHTER/GRANDAUGHTER!" to "We just want to create an affirming community by peeing next to trans women!" It's odd.

Maybe there was reported assaults and probably there were unreported assaults.

But that's not what any of this was about. The Charlotte law wasn't "addressing" assault stats against transgender individuals.

Meanwhile HB2 was addressing imaginary rapes and assaults and the McCrory campaign has doubled down on such in a disgusting and dishonest manner.

Well, just to start, a transgender going to the bathroom has absolutely no impact on other people in the bathroom. If you are competing in an event where somebody has a biological advantage due to enhanced testosterone, then it directly impacts the other competitors.

I agree with you that at the end of the day it doesn't really matter because it's a sporting event, but in one case nobody is impacted directly, and in another case every competitor is impacted directly.

Disagree again. The direct impact is essentially the same in both instances, hurt feelings. One over being uncomfortable (bathroom) one over possibly losing (sport)

Disagree again. The direct impact is essentially the same in both instances, hurt feelings. One over being uncomfortable (bathroom) one over possibly losing (sport)

Considering there's a 99% chance you won't even know there's a transgendered person dropping a deuce in the restroom with you (if you're even in the restroom), versus a dude in a skort blasting a 100 MPH serve past your daughter, it's not the same.

Ultimately, we acknowledge that there are innate differences between male and female, it's not just a mental choice, and we will draw random lines at what makes you a bigot (not liking transgenders in your daughter's bathroom, bigot. Not liking transgenders in your daughter's sport, cool)

Back