• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HB2 Strikes Again

Disagree again. The direct impact is essentially the same in both instances, hurt feelings. One over being uncomfortable (bathroom) one over possibly losing (sport)

Well if sports are meaningless there should be no eligibility rules in sports. No age limits. No PED bans. Who cares?

Don't want to google sex crime stats at work but I've wondered what percentage of stranger abuse is man on boy vs man on girl. Poor boys totally get dismissed in all this discussion.

You could say our boys are getting the shaft...if you like going to hell, that is.

Don't want to google sex crime stats at work but I've wondered what percentage of stranger abuse is man on boy vs man on girl. Poor boys totally get dismissed in all this discussion.

The only time Republicans have ever given a damn about women's health and safety.

Stop with the sex crime stuff unless you want to show me that transgendered individuals commit sex crimes at a higher rate than the general population against either sex.

That's not what the HB2 stated at all.
I don't really care about this issue either way but.....that's what the law did.

That's one reason I think this entire saga is so absurd. The supposed "haters" are saying to the people they "hate" "come into my bathroom"....in fact they are making that law so that anyone who denies them is committing a hate crime. LOL. One could argue that the law has elevated awareness of the situation, and will force tolerance and acceptance of transexuals, much like what happened with desegregation. That a bad thing? If I were McCrory that's how I'd argue it.

I don't really care about this issue either way but.....that's what the law did.

That's one reason I think this entire saga is so absurd. The supposed "haters" are saying to the people they "hate" "come into my bathroom"....in fact they are making that law so that anyone who denies them is committing a hate crime. LOL. One could argue that the law has elevated awareness of the situation, and will force tolerance and acceptance of transexuals, much like what happened with desegregation. That a bad thing? If I were McCrory that's how I'd argue it.

These are just incredible mental gymnastics.

We should thank Governor McCrory, because without his law that fails to distinguish gender and sexual orientation as a protected class against discrimination, nobody would know about the discrimination they face everyday?

Man so it was really a stroke of brilliance to put into the bill this (in real day-to-day life almost trivial) provision regarding who can and cannot use which restroom in government buildings. For some people it really sucks but for almost everyone it will have no effect on their lives. And now it's all anyone talks about because OMG BATHROOMS PENISES VAGINAS. And when people are talking about that, it's easy to just say "it's common sense that guys should use guys' restrooms and vice versa." It's a bit harder, I think, to defend why a state government should prohibit municipalities from democratically expanding protections beyond the minimum guaranteed by state law.

BUT BATHROOMS

Except NCAA "discrimination" has a legitimate purpose - to keep the playing field level.

There's no legitimate purpose to the bathroom regulations. And no, the mythical "right to privacy" doesn't count as legitimate.
Hey RJ....here's your Jim Crow speak. It's OK to discriminate as long as it has an "accepted" purpose. Wasn't that the argument back in the 1950s?

Maybe there was reported assaults and probably there were unreported assaults.

But that's not what any of this was about. The Charlotte law wasn't "addressing" assault stats against transgender individuals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then why the need for the ordinance if it wasn't a safety problem? We've already been told by DistrictDeacon that there is no mythical "right to privacy", and by macktheknife that he doesn't care where anyone pisses. So I still have yet to hear ANY reasonable need for the CLT ordinance to change the status quo, other than political grandstanding.

No. People don't report when they get assaulted? There were 3375 reported aggravated assaults in Charlotte in 2015, compared to 286 rapes.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/CMPD/safety/CrimeStat/Documents/CS15YrEnd-Summary.pdf

And the proponents of the ordinance couldn't find one that was a transgendered person being assaulted in a bathroom? Seems like this is certainly the widespread problem that needed to be addressed!!!

You can't think of any reason why a transgendered person might be less likely to report an assault, especially a sexual assault, than other people?

Then why the need for the ordinance if it wasn't a safety problem? We've already been told by DistrictDeacon that there is no mythical "right to privacy", and by macktheknife that he doesn't care where anyone pisses. So I still have yet to hear ANY reasonable need for the CLT ordinance to change the status quo, other than political grandstanding.

Let's assume you're right and it was political grandstanding (I disagree, but no matter). Why can't the people of a municipality choose to pass whatever bills they want that don't violate the state or federal constitutions? If the people affected (Charlotte residents) don't like it, they can tell their government that at the polls. Why should these outsiders from Raleigh exert control over affairs that don't affect them?

You can't think of any reason why a transgendered person might be less likely to report an assault, especially a sexual assault, than other people?

Wait, now you're talking about the transgendered person getting sexually assaulted? I don't think that is at issue under either side's theories, that doesn't make any sense at all.

As to non-sexual assaults, I'm pretty sure you are thinking some sort of embarrassment, but I would think that most people who get the shit kicked out of them are pretty embarrassed regardless of their clothing. Plus, we're talking about people who are publicly dressed as the opposite sex; if they were embarrassed by an assault "more" than the average assault victim solely because they were dressed in public as the opposite sex, then they wouldn't be dressed in public as the opposite sex.

Because the status quo is transgendered persons being treated like second class citizens living on the fringes of society.

Let's assume you're right and it was political grandstanding (I disagree, but no matter). Why can't the people of a municipality choose to pass whatever bills they want that don't violate the state or federal constitutions? If the people affected (Charlotte residents) don't like it, they can tell their government that at the polls. Why should these outsiders from Raleigh exert control over affairs that don't affect them?

I agree with you on that, they shouldn't. But that also doesn't absolve that municipality from fault when their ordinance backfires in today's political client when they should have reasonably known how said outsiders in Raleigh would react and McCrory told them in advance how they would react. Discretion and selectivity is a major part of any political position, and stupid is as stupid does.

Back