• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HB2 Strikes Again

It's their right to have political views as well though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That was poorly phrased by me. I don't mind private concerns expressing their political views on things; I don't like a quasi-public sports body like the NCAA doing so. And having a "right" to do something doesn't make doing it a good thing.

I haven't weighed in on the propriety of this law because I don't believe in expressing political views on a sports board. It would be a mistake to try to divine my position based on my prior post. Regardless, I really don't feel the operation of democracy should be subjected to partisan political reprisals by nonpolitical organizations. It seems wrong to me.

How about the fact that the NCAA's job is to pick good sites to host events. Don't you think it's problematic that some teams from five states wouldn't be able to travel to North Carolina to compete? Why wouldn't it make sense for the NCAA to move to a venue that doesn't present those issues?

How about the fact that the NCAA's job is to pick good sites to host events. Don't you think it's problematic that some teams from five states wouldn't be able to travel to North Carolina to compete? Why wouldn't it make sense for the NCAA to move to a venue that doesn't present those issues?

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. "Some teams wouldn't be able to travel to NC?"

I don't understand the point you're trying to make. "Some teams wouldn't be able to travel to NC?"

His point is that their home state governments have essentially banned non-essential travel to North Carolina (making it problematic for a post-season site to be in the state while HB2 is still on the books). For example, there have already been a number of public schools from New York that have had to cancel regular season games against teams from NC this year because they are not permitted to travel to the state.

That was poorly phrased by me. I don't mind private concerns expressing their political views on things; I don't like a quasi-public sports body like the NCAA doing so. And having a "right" to do something doesn't make doing it a good thing.

There's nothing quasi-public about the NCAA. They are as free to express and act on their political opinions as any other private corporation.

This thread already shows why Wellman made the statement the way he did.

Isn't this just the free market at work? I thought this was what the conservatives love.

Not when there's abnormals running around thinking they're equal.

His point is that their home state governments have essentially banned non-essential travel to North Carolina (making it problematic for a post-season site to be in the state while HB2 is still on the books). For example, there have already been a number of public schools from New York that have had to cancel regular season games against teams from NC this year because they are not permitted to travel to the state.

I see. That might be a legitimate rationale of course. Sort of begs the question about all these political reprisals against NC though. Again, without touching on the substance, there is still something unnerving to me about punishing innocent parties in a state due to that state's democratic process. Why not place the onus on the states banning the travel?

I see. That might be a legitimate rationale of course. Sort of begs the question about all these political reprisals against NC though. Again, without touching on the substance, there is still something unnerving to me about punishing innocent parties in a state due to that state's democratic process. Why not place the onus on the states banning the travel?

Maybe because the states banning the travel are doing the right thing?

This is how change happens...if all the parties that disagree with the law don't do take any real action to show their disagreement then nothing is going to change. It's not like North Carolina has some right to host NCAA championships. The legislature has the right to pass whatever laws it wants, but it has to own the consequences of people and organizations disagreeing with them. The potential consequences should have been thought through before the law was passed

Maybe because the states banning the travel are doing the right thing?

This is how change happens...if all the parties that disagree with the law don't do take any real action to show their disagreement then nothing is going to change. It's not like North Carolina has some right to host NCAA championships. The legislature has the right to pass whatever laws it wants, but it has to own the consequences of people and organizations disagreeing with them. The potential consequences should have been thought through before the law was passed

Yes, thank you for that objective, spontaneous and nonpartisan observation.

Yes, thank you for that objective, spontaneous and nonpartisan observation.

Well it is non-partisan. The states, NCAA, people, etc. are all expressing their views. Their views contradict the views of the NC legislature. So the NC legislature can stick to its views and suffer the consequences of them, or it can change and eliminate the consequences. That's just democracy. It's not partisan

Segregation was the popular opinion. No interracial marriage was the popular opinion. So was not allowing blacks to vote.

Very strong point you have.

Because trannies getting to decide where they can take a shit is right up there on the list of pressing 14th Amendment issues.

The only dumbass on this subject is McCrory, a complete pussy who can't admit he made a mistake. He continues on about bathrooms and forgets the other obnoxious provisions in this bill.

Which provisions is the NCAA so concerned about? Do we know?

Because trannies getting to decide where they can take a shit is right up there on the list of pressing 14th Amendment issues.

This continued "dumbing down" of HB2 to fit that narrative is disingenuous at best.

The law takes away any recourse that non-protected classes in NC have in courts in North Carolina.

To somebody's point earlier about basically "staying in your lane in sports"...at what point do people just shut up and play sports? Discrimination of women? Discrimination of people of color?

Why is it that just because it may be hard to see in somebody's shoes that it's alright to discriminate against them?

His point is that their home state governments have essentially banned non-essential travel to North Carolina
IMO that's probably why the NCAA made the decision they did...to avoid problems on their end. Fine with me. I just don't like all the kneejerk extremism that's causing it.

IMO that's probably why the NCAA made the decision they did...to avoid problems on their end. Fine with me. I just don't like all the kneejerk extremism that's causing it.

I think it's fair to say that both sides have acted irresponsibly in this.

While I understand WHY the Charlotte ordinance was passed, I don't think it was an pervasive problem in the current landscape.

The reaction by the GOP was equally bad to begin with, and the continued double-down ("no economic losses", hastily passed HB2 that didn't consider consequences, last night's press release, etc), is absolutely ridiculous.

This continued "dumbing down" of HB2 to fit that narrative is disingenuous at best.

The law takes away any recourse that non-protected classes in NC have in courts in North Carolina.
You mean the part that was reversed?

Back