• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HB2 Strikes Again

Is the part that says local/county governments cannot decide to pass anti-discrimination ordinances still in effect? That's the worst part, to me. The bathroom thing I see as a solution in search of a problem, that was passed as an attempt to fire up the right's base. Stupid (and intentionally discriminatory) but on a practical level not the worst part. The ban on filing state discrimination lawsuits was egregious, but maybe unintentional. Glad that has apparently been fixed.

But to have the gall to tell local communities that they cannot extend anti-discrimination protections to certain classes is just crazy to me. Especially coming from a group that would generally tout the merits of local governance.

Nor can local governments increase the minimum wage. Nor can employees sue in state court and much more.

A little more egregious when it's the governor of the entire state rather than just Charlotte's city council since the latter isn't responsible for the entirety of the state.

Of course, but charlotte's been hurt pretty badly too from this, and it would have never happened if not for the city council's initial actions

Of course, but charlotte's been hurt pretty badly too from this, and it would have never happened if not for the city council's initial actions

Sure, but again, I find a response of "there was no problem Charlotte, and then you went and made it an issue, so we had to pass a law banning what wasn't a problem to start with" to be particularly reprehensible. It makes no logical sense whatsoever:

1. City says "Issue A exists, so we're going to ensure people engaging in Issue A have an affirmative right to do so."
2. State says "even though Issue A previously existed, it wasn't a big deal up to now when you said people did have the right to engage in Issue A"
3. State passes law banning Issue A.

So you're saying that by affirming the rights of transgendered people, Charlotte made it's own bed and now must lie in it because the General Assembly told them they were going to pass a discriminatory law that would embarrass the whole state ?

Is that what you're saying ?

"If you hadn't passed a resolution affirming people's rights, we would have just ignored it. But since you went and took the steps of enshrining these rights which were just de facto rights previously, now we have to ban this right altogether. And in the meantime we're going to cost the state millions of dollars."

What don't you get about that logic Biff?

So you're saying that by affirming the rights of transgendered people, Charlotte made it's own bed and now must lie in it because the General Assembly told them they were going to pass a discriminatory law that would embarrass the whole state ?

No, but that is the type of terrible logic both sides of the aisle have been using to get us to this point, so good work falling into that

No, but that is the type of terrible logic both sides of the aisle have been using to get us to this point, so good work falling into that

Not trying to be a dick but how is Biff's post that different from your own earlier post? Aside from the part about embarrassment at the end

Why is something I didn't say not what I said? Tough question numbers, hard hitting

And because I think you are unaware, somehow, I don't agree with McCrory or the council, I think everyone involved was doing nothing but trying to get attention and further their political career, not trying to help anyone, whether that's transgenders, the people of Charlotte as a whole, the state of North Carolina as a whole

You said Charlotte is being hurt pretty bad by this and it never would have happened if they hadn't passed the law. Biff characterized this as Charlotte made their own bed (by passing the ordinance) because the GA told them that if they passed the ordinance they would respond by repealing it - which they did.

How is your statement, saying Charlotte is hurt by their actions of passing the ordinance, different than what Biff said?

Because I was simply stating a fact (Charlotte has been hurt by this) to respond to your specific (true) statement pertaining to it not really being the Charlotte city council's responsibility to help the state of North Carolina

Because I was simply stating a fact (Charlotte has been hurt by this) to respond to your specific (true) statement pertaining to it not really being the Charlotte city council's responsibility to help the state of North Carolina

Okay, I guess it's just semantics at this point but I don't see at all how "it never would have happened if not for the city council's actions" is any different from "Charlotte made its own bed and now must lie in it."

In both, Charlotte's actions caused a subsequent NC law to take effect that Charlotte is now forced to live with.

it's not semantics, biff advanced an argument I wasn't making nor do I agree with starting with the opening line, and you're trying to say I am making that argument. And then you're trying to make out of context statements and then further meld them into an argument that you apparently wish I was making (I guess so you could argue against it?) but I am not

But you can argue with the straw man he created if you wish

Ah I see. So you're saying that without Charlotte's actions there wouldn't have been a law, but they shouldn't have to just lie in the bed they made?

Wonder what Charlotte can do at this point to avoid lying in said bed.

This whole "HB2 is a reaction to a dumb law in Charlotte" meme is stupid beyond belief.

It would be the same thing that if in 1959, Charlotte made law making it illegal for restaurants and hotels to discriminate against interracial and inter-faith couples, and then the State Legislature banned both groups from entering those facilities statewide. With the law also stating that cities, counties, etc., couldn't make their own rules.

Ah I see. So you're saying that without Charlotte's actions there wouldn't have been a law, but they shouldn't have to just lie in the bed they made?

Wonder what Charlotte can do at this point to avoid lying in said bed.

Right. I'm not saying any of these things *should* have happened, or that Charlotte *should* have to lay in the bed they made, I'm just stating that it is indeed what happened as a result of the actions. And I think these events were foreseeable. And as someone who was going to make a pretty penny on Air BnB on my uptown apartment by the arena, I'm not happy with anyone involved

McCrory is going to be reelected....and when he is, he should send a thank you note to the Charlotte city council.

McCrory is going to be reelected....and when he is, he should send a thank you note to the Charlotte city council.

*Checks to see if it's Bob or Boob. Proceeds*

McCrory has led in two polls total since April and is presently down by mid-to-high single digits. He also has a -9% favorablility margin (49% disapprove while 40% approve). Cooper is a relatively popular AG and by the latest financial releases has outraised McCrory by over $3 million over the past year and a half.

That's not a favorable trend at all for the sitting governor who is the face of a law that just got NCAA championship events banned in North Carolina. Larry Sabato switched the race from "toss up" to "lean democrat" in his latest gubernatorial update last week.

Getting back to the sports part of this thread, I am glad Duke and Carolina don't get to play in nearby Greensboro for the 1st 2 rounds.

Back