• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

HB2 Strikes Again

Had a friend ask a great question today...what do we think about tax exempt organizations taking political stances?

Had a friend ask a great question today...what do we think about tax exempt organizations taking political stances?

There's a line between politics and right/wrong. You can argue where that line is, but there is one.

I would argue HB2 is flat out wrong and standing up to it isn't politics.

I dunno what entities like the ACC and NCAA are but there are zillions of 501(c)(3) charities that do lobbying/public policy. I used to work for one of the biggest.

A 501(c)(3) corporation can express political positions or opinions on issues of public importance. It can't participate in partisan political activities (i.e., advocating for particular candidates or political parties, fundraising, making political contributions, etc). So, nothing wrong with the ACC expressing disapproval of HB2 or support of diversity, or moving events out of state. It could not, however, run ads supporting Phil Berger's political opponent or host a fundraiser for Roy Cooper or the Democratic Party.

Oh wait, he's Sue Myrick's son. Nevermind !

Now that you put it that way, I just realized that I went to high school with him. At least for a year or two. If I recall, he wasn't going to be the starting QB, so he ended up moving to somewhere in SC where he thought he would be able to play. He is the Lt Governor of NC?!! Holy shit, that is crazy. He certainly wasn't the smartest guy in the school.

Just reading this thread but

(1) The city of Charlotte did something right, taking a stand for basic human rights, and now all this shit is their fault? That's the load of crap.

(2) It sucks for all of us sports fans that these things are happening but we can't be selfish. The more fallout the better as I see it at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the "NCAA is corrupt and has more important problems on which they should focus" crowd, what's the company line for the ACC's decision?

I mean, it's headed by a guy who came from UNC's athletic department/vaunted cheating machine.

Last edited:
Just reading this thread but

(1) The city of Charlotte did something right, taking a stand for basic human rights, and now all this shit is their fault? That's the load of crap.

(2) It sucks for all of us sports fans that these things are happening but we can't be selfish. The more fallout the better as I see it at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since when was it a 'basic human right' for a person with a penis to have access to bathrooms and changing facilities set aside for women? And vice versa? I get the whole discrimination thing - state and federal laws should be updated to include gender identity in the list of classes against which you can't discriminate for employment, housing, etc. - including in NC. That is where the discussion and the focus should be - fixing those discrimination laws in lots of places - not on the bathrooms.

How many states where the NCAA has championships do not include gender identity in their anti-discrimination statutes? I don't know the answer but I would bet it is greater than zero.

No, a gender restrictive sporting body is taking a principled stand and not grandstanding

Since when was it a 'basic human right' for a person with a penis to have access to bathrooms and changing facilities set aside for women? And vice versa? I get the whole discrimination thing - state and federal laws should be updated to include gender identity in the list of classes against which you can't discriminate for employment, housing, etc. - including in NC. That is where the discussion and the focus should be - fixing those discrimination laws in lots of places - not on the bathrooms.

How many states where the NCAA has championships do not include gender identity in their anti-discrimination statutes? I don't know the answer but I would bet it is greater than zero.

Dynamite 3rd post. Can't wait for your 4th!

It strikes me as absurd anyone could take exception with University Presidents who run institutions that have course offerings in modern biology, genetics, medicine, psychology, sociology religion, etc. This law is in stark opposition to the current body of knowledge being taught at their institutions. What choice do they have against the flat earthers in Raleigh?

No, a gender restrictive sporting body is taking a principled stand and not grandstanding

Everyone realizes that there are legitimate and obvious reasons for maintaining sex/gender segregation in sports, in contrast to the complete lack of logic underlying the rationalizations for HB2 right?

Everyone realizes that there are legitimate and obvious reasons for maintaining sex/gender segregation in sports, in contrast to the complete lack of logic underlying the rationalizations for HB2 right?
Complete lack of logic? Bathrooms were called 'mens' and 'woman' in lieu of "penis" and "vagina". The facilities are practical. They aren't some sort of "man cave" and "princess palace". Since that's the case, how is it illogical to expect all penises to go to one and all vaginas to go to the other? No one is being denied a bathroom. No one is being denied the specific facilities inside the bathroom that they'd use in the OTHER bathroom. If nothing is being denied, where is the discrimination? That illogical? One argument I've heard is that it shouldn't matter where people go to the bathroom. The very argument people put out that it's discrimination is that it matters for one group. Seems hypocritical to me. Again, illogical?

There are legit logical understandable arguments coming from both sides. The absurd knee-jerk extremism including these boycotts is what is ridiculous...over a freaking bathroom. SJW extremism for the "W"! Rational discourse gets the "L".

Why do people think these boycotts are occurring? Has the liberal media and PC landscape infiltrated the NCAA and ACC? I would note that these organizations are run predominantly by older, white, males. I would guess most are also of a more conservative ideology (see Ron Wellman) as well. Seems like an odd group to cave into the PC world of today.

If HB2 were just the bathroom issue and not the discriminatory laws that were tacked on, would there be the same backlash?

Back