• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wake Tennis 2017-2018

Wake Forest 5-0 1.00 16-1 .941
Virginia 4-0 1.00 12-0 1.00
North Carolina 3-1 .750 16-2 .889
Georgia Tech 3-1 .750 11-3 .786
Florida State 3-1 .750 13-5 .722
Louisville 3-2 .600 12-4 .750
Notre Dame 2-2 .500 10-6 .625
Duke 2-3 .400 9-6 .600
Virginia Tech 2-4 .333 5-7 .417
NC State 1-3 .250 10-9 .526
Clemson 1-4 .200 8-9 .471
Miami 0-4 .000 6-7 .462
Boston College 0-4 .000 2-8 .200

Don't really see any other real challenges regular season after the UVA match.

Rafi any insight on how you see the matchup? Is UVA better or worse than last year since their #1 player graduated... They guy that beat Rubin in the finals.

IMO, UVA is down this year when it comes to doubles, so I actually think we are favored to win the dubs point this week. However, I agree with Rafi that they are every bit as good this year as last year and possibly better, WHEN HEALTHY. When we beat them in ACCs, their #4 guy, Alex Rits, was hurt and didn't play. Right now, their #3 guy, Carl Soderlund, is banged up and hasn't played in several weeks with a bum foot. It's possible they are saving him for Friday, or it could be that they are saving him for ACCs and NCAAs. Their top 3 are interchangeable and their bottom 3 are close to interchangeable. It's going to be a tough match for us no matter who they have out there, but without Soderlund, their 6 player does drop off some.

I will be curious to see how we play our lineup. We've been switching 2/3 around and 4/5 around a little the past several weeks. I'm sure TB has an opinion on what matchups he'd like. I'm going to be a downer and say UVA wins 4-3. 100% chance of rain in the forecast, so could be headed indoors, which would be interesting.

Apparently the head coach at UVA, Brian Boland, has taken a job as director of USA tennis. If true, this should add an interesting dynamic to the match on Friday. I would think Tony Bresky would also be considered a possible replacement.

Apparently the head coach at UVA, Brian Boland, has taken a job as director of USA tennis. If true, this should add an interesting dynamic to the match on Friday. I would think Tony Bresky would also be considered a possible replacement.

Yeah this is massive news. I could see Bresky being interested in this job, although I think there's a pretty strong tradition across all sports in the ACC (maybe even a conference rule?) of schools not poaching head coaches from other conference schools. I can't remember the last time it happened in any sport

Saw that this morning. Really really hope he stays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah this is massive news. I could see Bresky being interested in this job, although I think there's a pretty strong tradition across all sports in the ACC (maybe even a conference rule?) of schools not poaching head coaches from other conference schools. I can't remember the last time it happened in any sport

Wake has better facilities and an ATP event. UVA has a very strong recent history, which was built entirely by Boland (they were bad before his arrival). I hope Bresky stays at Wake. If he does, he could certainly win national championships.

TOB to NC State

Yeah I think I remember at the time that there was some discussion that this was "permitted" because TOB wasn't hired at BC when they were in the ACC. So it's not exactly on all fours with this situation.

Wake has better facilities and an ATP event. UVA has a very strong recent history, which was built entirely by Boland (they were bad before his arrival). I hope Bresky stays at Wake. If he does, he could certainly win national championships.

Better facilities is a toss-up. UVA has the best indoor facility in the country by far. Also they have a huge advantage of being a public school which makes a big difference in a partial scholarship sport

Yeah I think I remember at the time that there was some discussion that this was "permitted" because TOB wasn't hired at BC when they were in the ACC. So it's not exactly on all fours with this situation.

Plus BC wanted TOB to leave.

Better facilities is a toss-up. UVA has the best indoor facility in the country by far. Also they have a huge advantage of being a public school which makes a big difference in a partial scholarship sport

Completely agree... the combo of the ATP event and our outdoor facility gives us an edge over their on campus outdoor area... but their Boar's Head Indoor is stupid nice. I think they're renovating/building a new outdoor area as well so that'll be another selling point for whoever they go after (as if they needed any others).

Really hope we hang on to Coach Bresky - but outside of UVA and maybe Baylor we've got a setup that's tough to compete with so it's not like we'll be completely unable to hire a good coach if he decides to go back.

It will be interesting to see what they do in terms of moving the match indoors with the weather. Pretty shoddy here at the moment.

I know they prefer to play it on the designated surface because it changes a lot of things if it goes indoors.

Would that favor UVA more if it was moved?

It will be interesting to see what they do in terms of moving the match indoors with the weather. Pretty shoddy here at the moment.

I know they prefer to play it on the designated surface because it changes a lot of things if it goes indoors.

Would that favor UVA more if it was moved?

I think it will be moved, and I think that will favor Wake. Wake has some very big servers (Seraphim, Mansouri, Gojo, and Gadjiev) and in general I think Wake has played a bit better indoors this year than they have outdoors.

I think it will be moved, and I think that will favor Wake. Wake has some very big servers (Seraphim, Mansouri, Gojo, and Gadjiev) and in general I think Wake has played a bit better indoors this year than they have outdoors.

Thanks for the info. Good to hear.

Back