• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NC State -8

Seems like all of the lesser bowls would be concerned with taking teams with large fanbases- they won't survive without asses in the seats will they?

Well that's good news. That gives me a little more hope we might be able to squeak Tier Two. Keep winnin' Deacs!

A reason to cheer against the Irish which isn't hard. Most of their tough remaining games (Stanford, Miami, VT) are at home so not sure where they will wind up.

Alternate Music City with TaxSlayer, we have one of the two each year. ACC had Music City last year so thought is Jax is in play this year.

I can't see us winding up there though, that bowl historically has been the worst about taking teams with big fan bases, even if they're terrible teams and make the game way less appealing from an interest standpoint

I have no interest in Wake playing in the Tax Slayer Bowl (dumbest name ever) The Gator Bowl made such a fuss about potentially having to take us in 2006, when the ACC Championship Game loser could fall no lower than them, that I lost all interest in ever playing in that bowl. They lost anything special about them when they dropped the Gator Bowl name. Screw them.

Seems like all of the lesser bowls would be concerned with taking teams with large fanbases- they won't survive without asses in the seats will they?

Well they need asses in seats, restaurants, hotels and preferably asses with big wallets.

I want the Tax Slayer Bowl because of the potential good matchup and the easy drive for the majority of our fanbase. I'd prefer to play a P5 opponent.

Last edited:
Bowls make the bulk of their money off television and ad revenue but from the perspective of local economy and making more money at the games, number of fans willing to make the trip (and fan base in general) certainly plays a role in selection.

To a degree, but the Gator is notorious for breaking rules that are in place to take bad teams that they presume will travel. What Lillburn said, and they broke rules in Bowden's last year to take them even when they were 6-6, and the ACC didn't exactly come down hard on them.

If ND winds up 6-6 and can't be taken ahead of an 8-4 Wake by rule, they'd be the bowl to bitch and whine constantly about it until the ACC succumbs to their wishes

I have no interest in Wake playing in the Tax Slayer Bowl (dumbest name ever) The Gator Bowl made such a fuss about potentially having to take us in 2006, when the ACC Championship Game loser could fall no lower than them, that I lost all interest in ever playing in that bowl. They lost anything special about them when they dropped the Gator Bowl name. Screw them.

Wake beat SC in the first ever Gator Bowl. Ironic that they're so opposed to a team with that historical tie to their game.

ND plays Navy this year in Jacksonville, so maybe they wouldn't want ND twice in the same year?

ND plays Navy this year in Jacksonville, so maybe they wouldn't want ND twice in the same year?

Once or twice, seems like if you can take ND over Wake it's a no brainer. But that would be complete horseshit. What's the point of rules if they don't have to follow them.

Pretty sure there have been some management shake ups with the Taxslayer Bowl committee. Jacksonville has a newish sports council dedicated to bring sporting events to the city (WBB, USMNT, ND-Navy)

To get into Tier 2, we're going to need to be #4 in the Atlantic. Assuming 9-3 (5-3) or 8-4 (4-4).

I have UNC and Miami at 9-3 (both will be picked ahead of us)

I have Pitt at 8-4 or 7-5. Pitt does not travel well. I think they're in for a Pinstripe Bowl bid this year though.

Jax - Miami
Charlotte - Likely UNC (Though Will Webb, Ex. Director there) is a WFU guy. He's big big big on ticket sales.
Pitt - NYC

The Sun Bowl would be in play there for us if UNC goes to Charlotte.

I have VT at 6-6 or 7-5 (Would be picked ahead of us normally, but the 2 win rule comes into play)

Wild card is ND. They have 2 more losses (USC and Stanford) which puts them at 5 losses IMO. If they slip again, they can't be picked ahead of us assuming we can get to 8.

Once we get into Tier 3, it's a crap shoot,.

Last edited:
Pretty sure there have been some management shake ups with the Taxslayer Bowl committee. Jacksonville has a newish sports council dedicated to bring sporting events to the city (WBB, USMNT, ND-Navy)

You are correct. Tom Norton (WFU Class of '04) is the VP of Events for the Jax Sports Council - hired in 09.

Adam Verlander is the Ex. Director (& really good IMO). He's been there since 2014. Bolles School Grad - Skinner connection).

Last edited:
One thing I saw this AM is a 6-6 team can't be picked in Tier 2 ahead of an 8-4+ team, so that's one thing we've got going for us. Rule only exists for 6-6 teams, a 7-5 team could be picked ahead of a 9-3 team, and so on.

I kinda doubt UNC, Miami or VT will be 6-6 tho. If VT is the most likely I still can't see it, Fuente is the goods

One thing I saw this AM is a 6-6 team can't be picked in Tier 2 ahead of an 8-4 team, so that's one thing we've got going for us.

I kinda doubt UNC, Miami or VT will be 6-6 tho. If VT is the most likely I still can't see it, Fuente is the goods

Fuente is good. Schedule is tough. VT (3-1) has:

AT UNC (toss up)
AT Cuse
Miami (toss up)
AT Pitt (toss up)
AT Duke (toss up)
GT (toss up)
AT ND (toss up)
UVA

And I'm not sure ND wins six games.

Currently 1-3

AT Syracuse (likely win)
AT NC State (toss up)
Stanford (Loss)
Miami (toss up - Loss)
Navy (in Jax) (Toss up)
Army (Win)
VT (Toss up)
at USC (Loss)

Going to take some work for the Irish to get to a bowl.

I want the Tax Slayer Bowl because of the potential good matchup and the easy drive for the majority of our fanbase. I'd prefer to play a P5 opponent.

Fun Fact: Wake Forest won the first ever Gator Bowl (now Tax Slayer Bowl) in 1946, defeating South Carolina 26-14. Looks like we started the year 0-3 against Tennessee, Army, and Duke, and then finished up 5-0-1 (including the bowl).

Fuente is good. Schedule is tough. VT (3-1) has:

AT UNC (toss up)
AT Cuse
Miami (toss up)
AT Pitt (toss up)
AT Duke (toss up)
GT (toss up)
AT ND (toss up)
UVA

I think they easily beat UVA, cuse and GT (don't think that's a toss-up, they did just destroy BC and ECU at home). And can't imagine they don't get at least one of the others, and quite likely more

How are we going to get to 8 wins? UVA and BC should be wins, but not sure about the rest. Plus, Wake is good to drop a game it shouldn't.

How are we going to get to 8 wins? UVA and BC should be wins, but not sure about the rest. Plus, Wake is good to drop a game it shouldn't.

The four worst teams we have left on the schedule are all at home (UVA, BC, Syracuse, and Army). Expected wins out of that is probably around 2.5 but we will be favored in all four.

Back