• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP Arnold Palmer

arnold-palmer-muhammad-ali-and-dwyane-wade-of-the-miami-heat-stand-on-picture-id72913813

It's very hard for DWade to look like the nobody in a photo, but here you go

Don't think I've noticed Wade holding Ali's arm to keep him stable before.

I've never understood why some people get so upset when someone famous that they have never met passes away. Until now. May The King RIP.

When I was 8 or 9 years old, he was renting a house in our neighborhood to stay for The Masters. A group of us kids noticed him and his caddie unloading the clubs from the car and we ran home to get our cameras and returned. We were too scared to get any closer than the street probably 20 yards away. He noticed us taking his picture from a distance. He called us up the driveway to where he was and posed for pictures, signed some autographs, and gave us some golfballs.

never will be another Arnie. Great story - thanks for sharing.

My brother and I followed him for his entire back nine on Saturday at the 1970 Dow Jones Open at Upper Montclaire Country Club. I remember wanting to get his autograph on the program cover so badly, but was nervous there would be too many people and I wouldn't be able to get to him. He signed autographs before he got to the scoring tent and a ton after he came out. I still have the cover of that program with his autograph framed and matted in my office. One of my most prized possessions.

And yes, it is clearly legible as Arnold Palmer.

Yes my parents volunteered at the Vantage each year and same thing on my dad's visor ... he carefully signed each autograph to make it special.

I've got Arnie's perfect as usual autograph on a Titleist golf ball- a yellow one at that signed in black sharpie and I'll always treasure it. :thumbsup:

RIP King

I was listening to the XM PGA station this morning and a bunch of pros were calling in sharing emotions and stories. Fred Couples called in and literally broke down on the air. He simply couldn't carry on a conversation.

Curtis Strange did this during an interview yesterday as well. Odd from him who seems such a hard ass.

Arnie was beloved by so many because of the little things he did for so many strangers one-on-one, like signing programs, visors, balls etc. or a few minutes genuine conversation with a young golfer he met once and would never see again.
These many little things tied so many people to the big things he did on the golf course. All of those amazing shots. The "go for it" attitude of attacking the course. His sense of style and always looking good on the course. These contributed to legions of fans joining the alliterative "Arnie's Army" started originally by soldiers watching him play and wanting a little recognition.
RIP, Arnie, the one and only King. You are missed.

Back in like 1995 I was playing Augusta National in a twosome. Just me and a member. On 2 green I notice behind me that Arnold is at the top of the hill also in a twosome. So the member with me was good friends with Arnie and so we waited on 3 tee for them. I was so excited I couldn't stand it. I knew Arnie because I played golf at Wake, so had met him a handful of times. So they arrive on 3 tee with us, and Arnold was with his son in law. We talk for a bit and are about to ask them to join us when the pro from the golf shop comes flying up in a golf cart. He tells Arnie that Winnie has called there asking if Arnie happened to be at Augusta. Apparently, Arnie and his son in law had just casually decided to play golf that day and then decided as they were driving to just go to the airport and jump in the jet and go play Augusta. And he hadn't told Winnie where he was going. And this was before people really carried cell phones a great deal. Car phones, yes. Anyway, Arnie laughed about it and his son in law said well you better go back and call Winnie, Arnie. So Arnie just says I guess I'm in trouble now, so I will call her at the turn. So Arnie asks if the 2 of them can play through so they can get to the turn fast and he can call Winnie and take his chewing out. It was really funny. But that phone call totally ruined my chance to play Augusta with The King.

Last edited:
Top line on the cover in the upcoming issue of Sports Illustrated, "King of Kings". An accurate description in the world of golf. RIP.

When is the funeral?

The private one was a couple of days ago and his ashes were spread near his golf course. Thus the photo that day of a rainbow showing behind his statue at the course. A fitting tribute.

Last edited:
Memorial service is Tuesday morning at 10. Golf Channel has coverage from 10-1.

Back