• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Indiana Game Review / N.C. State Game Week Thread

Nobody left to come over here since we lost tOTF and others were banned. Plus we aren't a very confident fanbase right now. They give me a hard time for being nice over here.

We can't relate at all.

All kidding aside, I anticipate a pretty close game on Saturday. Not sure if you guys make a bowl this year but something your fan base should be confident of is your 2016 basketball team. On paper, it'll be the best in what, 20+ years?

I wasn't a big fan of the hire and I haven't been proven wrong so far. I didn't understand why a mid-west guy was a good fit for State. We are a Southern school. At his opening press conference he talked about the great fishing in NC. While I agree and fish myself I didn't think it was something you say when you're getting hired as a head football coach. We still have some that think he'll pull it out. Whatever happens we won't make a change for a couple of more years. Coaches at State usually get 4-6 years and we move onto the next experiment. I was actually a Chuck Amato fan and wanted him to get more time. Football should be fun and at least he made it fun as well as delivering an 11 win season and #12 national ranking in 2002.

I forget now, what was it that brought Amato down? I know there was some underachievement towards the end, but did he have some mild scandal that acted as a catalyst for his removal?

FYI, we heard this exact same thing last week before the Indiana game. A far better RB that Matt Dayes (not the he isn't a good back) was completely neutralized, and Indiana abandoned the running game despite racking up INT after INT.

If I'm a State fan, I want to throw the ball a lot more than run. Hell, the strength of almost all of Wake's starting defensive players other than Duke Ejiofor and maybe Brad Watson (big maybe) is run support over pass rush/coverage.

Wait in what world? Dayes is better than the IU guy in all metrics including actually being good at football.

I forget now, what was it that brought Amato down? I know there was some underachievement towards the end, but did he have some mild scandal that acted as a catalyst for his removal?

No. General decline of the program including losing 7 straight to close his last season with the last two being UNC and ECU. Didn't beat the in-state rivals, had 2 losing seasons out of 3 once Rivers left going 5-6, 7-5, 3-9.

That seasons game @ UNC is why I've sworn off going to @UNC games forever. Bunting was their coach, had been fired, sucked and we couldn't do anything against them.

the better question is why the hell did nc state fire tom o'brien and hire their current coach

Wait in what world? Dayes is better than the IU guy in all metrics including actually being good at football.

Well. Redding has a 1000+ yard season as his team's #2 RB. And had the longest streak of 100+ yard games in the nation until playing Wake. Having watched them both play, he looks like the better runner. Dayes is a better receiver.

And Redding was rated slightly higher outta HS, which is the real measuring stick.

They're similar in terms of raw running statistics, but the advanced stats give Dayes the nod (not to mention his receiving capabilities):

The "highlight" yards per opportunity basically spotlights the yards the running back gets after the line does its job:

2015- Dayes- 7.6 yards, Redding- 6.5 (Redding had a lot less opportunities to get highlight yards, as the line provided him a 28.3% opportunity rate, compared to 40.3% for Dayes)
2016- Dayes- 4.7 yards, Redding- 2.8 (51% opp for Dayes compared to 47% for Redding)

Dayes is the better runner in the open field despite being roughly the same in height and weight.

As for how this compares to Wake a bit (especially regarding QBs):

Highlight Yards
The portion of a given run that is credit only to the running back; after a certain number of yards, the line has done its job, and most of the rest of the run will be determined by the running back himself. For more information, start here. An important note: a player's per-carry highlight yardage is now calculated as follows: Highlight Yards divided by Opportunities. In this case, Opportunities mean only the carries in which the offensive line "did its job," i.e. carries that went at least five yards. With a different denominator, then, it is possible for a player's Highlight Yards per carry to be much higher than his overall yards per carry.

Opportunity Rate
This is the percentage of carries in which the offensive line "does its job" and produces at least five yards of rushing for the runner. (Generally speaking, the first five yards are considered the line's responsibility, the next five are split evenly between the runner and the line, and anything over 10 yards is all on the runner.) See Highlight Yards and Adj. Line Yards for more information.

Colburn- 4.8 yards per highlight opp (25% opportunity rate)
Carney- 6.4 yards per highlight opp (36.5% opportunity rate)

Wolford- 3.5 yards per highlight opp (61.5% opportunity rate)
Hinton- 7.9 yards per highlight opp (34.8% opportunity rate)

Well. Redding has a 1000+ yard season as his team's #2 RB. And had the longest streak of 100+ yard games in the nation until playing Wake. Having watched them both play, he looks like the better runner. Dayes is a better receiver.

I guess i'll have to disagree. Dayes averages over a yard higher YPC than the Indiana guy and had almost 900 yards and 12 TD's last year before breaking his foot. We will see Saturday.

They're similar in terms of raw running statistics, but the advanced stats give Dayes the nod (not to mention his receiving capabilities):

The "highlight" yards per opportunity basically spotlights the yards the running back gets after the line does its job:

2015- Dayes- 7.6 yards, Redding- 6.5 (Redding had a lot less opportunities to get highlight yards, as the line provided him a 28.3% opportunity rate, compared to 40.3% for Dayes)
2016- Dayes- 4.7 yards, Redding- 2.8 (51% opp for Dayes compared to 47% for Redding)

Dayes is the better runner in the open field despite being roughly the same in height and weight.

Dayes biggest strength as a runner is his ability to cut on a dime in the open field seemingly without losing any speed. The OL just needs to give him more chances. As I said in another thread though, this game will come down to our Offense against your defense and I give us the nod at home. Should be a TD game either way.

Our rushing defense has yielded a 29.5% opportunity rate so far through 4 games (13th best in the country). Your offensive line has yielded a 42.9% opportunity rate through 3 games (31st best in the country). Should be a good battle to watch.

Our rushing defense has yielded a 29.5% opportunity rate so far through 4 games (13th best in the country). Your offensive line has yielded a 42.9% opportunity rate through 3 games (31st best in the country). Should be a good battle to watch.

I certainly hope it's at least that. If not, it'll be a long day!

Matt Dayes is on my fantasy team so I'm looking for a big game from him. But only him.

So the awesomely awesom State running attack is averaging 210 ypg. Wake is averaging 200. Now add in schedules and what do we see? No big deal.

Really just hope my dad and I don't have mini bottles thrown at us again. Have seen Wake cars vandalized as well. I've got a lot of friends who are State fans, but overall the fans give Clemson a really good run for worst in the ACC.

I've had only positive experiences at both State and Clemson.

I've had only positive experiences at both State and Clemson.

I'm not surprised at people getting cussed out and treated badly but I have to wonder what in the world people are doing to get bottles thrown at them. For what sounds to be so common I've never once seen anything like it. Especially since it's not like wake is coming to Carter-Finley and beating us to put fans in bad moods

the better question is why the hell did nc state fire tom o'brien and hire their current coach

TOB was like a competent coaching version of Buzz. Thought he could take any player and make them competitive. Had some success but that caused him to stop recruiting.

Back