• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Indiana Game Review / N.C. State Game Week Thread

We gave up 124 yards and two touchdowns on two passing plays. And one of those plays should have been an interception against a prevent-style defense. Obviously that's not good, but we were a couple of plays from a much more respectable showing on defense against a pass happy team that played from behind all day.

Agree

I put together more info on the CBs since that is a topic of discussion.

In the 3 FBS games, Watson, Austin and Henderson have given up more 40+ yard receptions (seven) than they have been credited with pass breakups (four). So there’s reason to be concerned.

But when I went through my notes from those games I found that at least five of those 40+ yard pass plays occurred because of what I felt were mental lapses, as opposed to pure coverage ability.

Watson surrendered 3 of those pass plays. I attributed two of those to mental errors.
Henderson surrendered 2 of those pass plays. I attributed both to mental errors.
Austin surrendered 1 of those pass plays. I attributed it to a mental error.
Then there was one play that I didn’t capture in my notes.

In those 3 games, Henderson has been credited with 3 pass breakups. Watson was credited with only one. Austin has none.

Austin and Henderson are still gaining experience. I think it is reasonable to expect that with more experience, you will see fewer mental errors. I do have sympathy for young CBs.

I put together more info on the CBs since that is a topic of discussion.

In the 3 FBS games, Watson, Austin and Henderson have given up more 40+ yard receptions (seven) than they have been credited with pass breakups (four). So there’s reason to be concerned.

But when I went through my notes from those games I found that at least five of those 40+ yard pass plays occurred because of what I felt were mental lapses, as opposed to pure coverage ability.

Watson surrendered 3 of those pass plays. I attributed two of those to mental errors.
Henderson surrendered 2 of those pass plays. I attributed both to mental errors.
Austin surrendered 1 of those pass plays. I attributed it to a mental error.
Then there was one play that I didn’t capture in my notes.

In those 3 games, Henderson has been credited with 3 pass breakups. Watson was credited with only one. Austin has none.

Austin and Henderson are still gaining experience. I think it is reasonable to expect that with more experience, you will see fewer mental errors. I do have sympathy for young CBs.

A strong case could be made that it is the most difficult position in football behind QB.

New depth chart out:

- Zero changes on offense for the two-deep
- Stewart takes over the DL starting spot from Yarbary (think Stewart actually started vs. IU)
- Some shuffling in at the backup positions for the LBs and safeties; Okonye switches to 2nd string FS, pushing Glenn down (I thought Glenn looked good early)
- Henderson takes over starting spot from Austin (think he actually started vs. IU too)
- Dom still listed at P - back this week?

No apparent injury news

New depth chart out:

- Zero changes on offense for the two-deep
- Stewart takes over the DL starting spot from Yarbary (think Stewart actually started vs. IU)
- Some shuffling in at the backup positions for the LBs and safeties; Okonye switches to 2nd string FS, pushing Glenn down (I thought Glenn looked good early)
- Henderson takes over starting spot from Austin (think he actually started vs. IU too)
- Dom still listed at P - back this week?

No apparent injury news

Related to this, I always like looking at the participation chart, page 16 of the game notes.

To your points above, Stewart got 53 snaps last week to Yarbary's 24. Wonder if he's still working off the injury. Henderson got 65 snaps compared to just 25 for Austin, which seems odd based on their performance. Bassey played only on special teams.

Bates (90 snaps) and Janvion (97) practically never left the field, but we still found 16 snaps for Tra Redd, and Okonye played a bunch (49). Glenn was a DNP-INJ.

Strnad seems to be carving out a place in the LB rotation, with 38 snaps against Indiana and 34 against dook. (Only 7 against Delaware for some reason). Dawson had a season-low 32 snaps, which is probably a positive sign.

Wade got over twice as many snaps as Hines, 62 to 26. Starting OLs went virtually the whole game, with only Gilliam (8 snaps) and Terry (12) coming on in relief. Definitely a big change in conditioning from years past.

Anybody have injury updates on Elontae Bateman or Demetrius Kemp?

One of the long plays (I think the first of the two play drive to cut the lead to 24-14) looked like Watson slipped when the receiver released up the sideline.

Strnad seems to be carving out a place in the LB rotation, with 38 snaps against Indiana and 34 against dook. (Only 7 against Delaware for some reason). Dawson had a season-low 32 snaps, which is probably a positive sign.

And yet Dawson was moved from MIKE to BUCK, jumping Strnad.

This is my first year keeping eyes on the depth chart since Clawson arrived, so maybe it's less meaningful than the Grobe years where it was a little more reflective of snaps.

Related to this, I always like looking at the participation chart, page 16 of the game notes.

To your points above, Stewart got 53 snaps last week to Yarbary's 24. Wonder if he's still working off the injury. Henderson got 65 snaps compared to just 25 for Austin, which seems odd based on their performance. Bassey played only on special teams.

Bates (90 snaps) and Janvion (97) practically never left the field, but we still found 16 snaps for Tra Redd, and Okonye played a bunch (49). Glenn was a DNP-INJ.

Wade got over twice as many snaps as Hines, 62 to 26. Starting OLs went virtually the whole game, with only Gilliam (8 snaps) and Terry (12) coming on in relief. Definitely a big change in conditioning from years past.

Anybody have injury updates on Elontae Bateman or Demetrius Kemp?

I suspect that Redd's snaps were almost entirely special teams.

Okonye has been a third down subpackage regular for the last 2 seasons. I don't know how to describe his role in that subpackage exactly, but it's closer to a slot corner than a safety. Against Indiana he also covered that little slot receiver some on first and second down after the slot made a few catches at the beginning of the game.

Strnad does get some snaps at LB, but against Indiana a lot of his non-special teams snaps seemed to come at the end of the game when Wake went to a prevent defense. I'd guess he has a specific role in that situational package.

I was surprised to see Bateman get the injured designation. Clawson said that he practiced last week.

I also noted that Paris Black played a season-high 55 snaps against Indiana.

Thoughts on Serigne's role in the offense so far this year? 6 catches in 4 games. I'd like to see Wake look his way more often.

Thoughts on Serigne's role in the offense so far this year? 6 catches in 4 games. I'd like to see Wake look his way more often.

Coach Clawson said he's played the best this year that he has in his career when you combine blocking and catching.

Probably based off of internal ratings from film review or whatever Clawson and company use to grade out their players.

Coach talk. Throw him the damn ball.

Catching isn't the only part of the game at the TE position. He has not graded out well the past two years in run or pass blocking. Devin Pike still gets put in there a lot for him in the run blocking game, and last year it was a pretty big tell on what we were going to do.

He's been targeted 11 times on the season and caught 6 of them. I would like to see us get the ball to him more, but that doesn't mean he isn't performing better than he has the past two years.

Barton Simmons writes that Mike Elko would be the best candidate for the open DC position at Notre Dame [URL="http://247sports.com/Article/Notre

Interesting take. If WF keeps playing defense at a high level, super power programs will come sniffing around. Note that Tulane's DC was also mentioned. His work this year has been duly impressive. Tulane has held all 4 opponents to 21 or less in regulation (Tulane played a 4 OT game this week in a win over Louisiana Lafayette; the game was 16-16 at the end of regulation). For the season last year, they only held two opponents to less than 31.

Catching isn't the only part of the game at the TE position. He has not graded out well the past two years in run or pass blocking. Devin Pike still gets put in there a lot for him in the run blocking game, and last year it was a pretty big tell on what we were going to do.

He's been targeted 11 times on the season and caught 6 of them. I would like to see us get the ball to him more, but that doesn't mean he isn't performing better than he has the past two years.

I get that. He also needs to be involved a lot more as a pass catcher.

Back