• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Indiana Game Review / N.C. State Game Week Thread

I went to a State game during the Grobe era and the fans at tailgates were cool and fans sitting near me were mostly friendly and engaged in some amicable back and forth razzing.

Wake blew the lead by playing not to lose instead of playing to win and State came back to win the game.

After the game as I was leaving the stadium opposing fans were cursing and spitting at me from above as I walked through the tunnel/stairwell to the concourse because I was wearing a Wake Forest hat.

Ya, I refuse to go back to state to watch a game. People tailgating near us several years ago were constantly trying to start a fight. People inside the stadium were constantly cussing at us for wearing wake gear. I found it to be a very unfriendly place. If I do go again, will definitely not take my kids.

As a Wake fan, it bothers me to see opposing fans act like assholes when they come to our home. So I try not to act like an asshole when I go to their home.

The worst though are those complete dickheads who wear UNC gear to Wake games when we aren't even playing UNC.

I went to a State game during the Grobe era and the fans at tailgates were cool and fans sitting near me were mostly friendly and engaged in some amicable back and forth razzing.

Wake blew the lead by playing not to lose instead of playing to win and State came back to win the game.

After the game as I was leaving the stadium opposing fans were cursing and spitting at me from above as I walked through the tunnel/stairwell to the concourse because I was wearing a Wake Forest hat.

Was this the first game that Russ Wilson came back to after being out several weeks with an injury?

I think State fans are just fine (disclaimer, I'm a grad of both WFU and NCSU). They have really good tailgating.

I used to live in Raleigh and have been to several State football and basketball games as a Wake fan and a neutral observer. Statefans are pretty awful.

Yep been to seven or eight Wake-State football games and while the tailgate experience has always been fine, literally every single time I've been there has been an incident inside the stadium with State fans throwing things at Wake fans, spitting on them, cussing at them, or instigating a physical altercation.

My dad grew up a State fan and went to football/basketball games growing up and has been back a lot (his whole side of the family are State fans) and going two years ago and having the same thing happen yet again (the incidents mentioned above) he says he'll never go back to a State football game because that's how bad it is.

Take your children to an NC State game and they'll come home with a whole new vocabulary.

No more Wake football games at cow college for me either.

While the tailgating is a good time, once the game starts all bets are off.

I've been to 3 or 4 Wake games at Carter Finley and have never had any problem with their fans. Of course the majority of those games we got our ass kicked, but still

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

I hear this kind of stuff on occasion and am always surprised. I've been attending State games since the late 70s and I've never witnessed anything like this. i've seen a few drunk fights but always between State fans. I've arrived early to tailgate and stayed late. I just don't get how I would have missed it if it was so common. If a fan near me threw a mini bottle at an opposing fan they would have to deal with me and several dozen people sitting around me that have been there for years. Sorry for your experience.

I'm guessing you must have very good seats, around the wealthier/more respectable State fans, and don't encounter many visiting fans. Again, I have a lot of friends who are State fans, and love going to games when I'm not cheering for Wake, but the fanbase is pretty disgusting overall to opposing fans. You wouldn't expect so much vitriol from such a historically mediocre football program.

In fact, State fans have been worse towards visiting fans than any of the three SEC teams I've visited (UT, USC, UGA).

Yeah, I sit with long time wuffpack club members. The old retired kid who go to the baseball and women's basketball games.

I've been to 3 or 4 Wake games at Carter Finley and have never had any problem with their fans. Of course the majority of those games we got our ass kicked, but still

Same here.

Yeah, I sit with long time wuffpack club members. The old retired kid who go to the baseball and women's basketball games.

I will never go back. Went to the game in 2006 when Swank went crazy with FG's. After the game I found that someone had put white paint on 3 or 4 of my windows. All I had on my car was the Deacon Club decal. I went with some neighbors who were state alumns and we parked in their "big donor" lot right in front of the stadium. State fans were tailgating near my car after the game and no one would own up to who did it. Bunch of worthless assholes. This plus the wolf call is enough to keep me away forever.

Last edited:
I have a lot of friends that are State fans and personally, although State is a rival, I've always viewed them as a much more friendly rival than either of the "blues." However, and this is certainly not an indictment of the vast majority of State fans, the only times I've seen any trouble in our stadium was when State was visiting. Some drunk guy started a fight one year near where we were sitting and another year some guy decided to sit by himself as a State fan right behind us and run his mouth including profanity with young children around. Pretty much his sole purpose was to make as big of an ass of himself as he could. Fortunately one of his friends came from the visitor section on the other side and convinced him it was probably best to move over there. Again, I like State fans and as far as teams other than Wake, I generally pull for State unless them losing directly helps us. Just stating my experience. We won both games by the way.

The vast majority of State fans are awful human beings. it's like an 85-15 split.

I've been to several football games at Carter-Finley and had pretty awful experiences with fans. Had to dodge a well-thrown glass bottle the Orange bowl year (best throw from a state person on the day). Worst experience, though, was at the JHo win the year he took the technical shots to win in Raleigh. We had great seats at half court and during the technical shots we were drenched by soda cups and garbage thrown from all around. I know plenty of nice State people, but their sports fans are the pits, man.

I'm guessing you must have very good seats, around the wealthier/more respectable State fans, and don't encounter many visiting fans. Again, I have a lot of friends who are State fans, and love going to games when I'm not cheering for Wake, but the fanbase is pretty disgusting overall to opposing fans. You wouldn't expect so much vitriol from such a historically mediocre football program.

In fact, State fans have been worse towards visiting fans than any of the three SEC teams I've visited (UT, USC, UGA).

As a State fan/Grad I certainly don't agree with that given my personal experiences with those three fan bases. The way visiting fan's were treated in the games I attended at all three of those SEC school (UF as well) are worse than anything i've ever seen at NCSU. Different experiences for everyone but I see more WolfPack on Wolfpack crime at games than I do Wolfpack vs Opposing Fans. Any issues i've ever seen between State fans and opposing fans could be described as equally hostile between both parties and were provoked.

That said, hope any of you that make the trip this weekend have a good trip and enjoy the game.

Just for balance....games I attended -

'05 @BC ( the Matt Ryan killer game ) - 4-5 young Wake fans drunk and cursing loudly in the Wake section. After several complaints by both Wake and nearby BC fans, police arrive and carry/eject them from the stadium.

'07 @Navy ( a glorious Wake win ) - Postgame, 6-7 Wake students apprehended by police after being observed vandalizing several parked cars at a waterside restaurant in Annapolis.

Back