• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Indiana Game Review / N.C. State Game Week Thread

I was at the 2001 game too. We got tickets from the same Rams Club donor both times. These two games are probably the first Wake games that I can remember vividly.

The comeback in Chapel Hill in 2001...We were down 24-0 at half and stormed back to win 32-31. I remember Chris Barclay having a hell of a game and we sealed the game on a sack at the end. Maybe Durant was their QB? Vague on the details but that was a hell of a game. I was sitting next to Fabian Davis' mother. She was a super sweet lady and as entertaining as they come.

DG3, I was also at the 3OT thriller in 03. I got tickets from a UNC fan and was surrounded by Blue. A Carolina fan talked some serious shit to me at halftime and got in my face threatening to fight me. I was with my girlfriend at the time so I just kept on walking. After the game, that same fan found me and came up to me to apologize for being a dick and he congratulated me on the win. I don't know if his parents made him apologize or if I captured lightening in a bottle. Either way, that game was the most entertained I have ever been in an opposing teams arena.

Per the box score, Terrance Williams (not Barclay) rushed for 101 yards. Durant was the UNC QB. Fabian Davis scored on an orbit sweep in the 3rd qtr.

Per the box score, Terrance Williams (not Barclay) rushed for 101 yards. Durant was the UNC QB. Fabian Davis scored on an orbit sweep in the 3rd qtr.

That's right...Terrance was a GREAT dude. He'd always take the time to shoot the breeze with me whenever we'd go on trips with the team. He really was one of the nicest guys I can remember during that era of Deacs.

The comeback in Chapel Hill in 2001...We were down 24-0 at half and stormed back to win 32-31. I remember Chris Barclay having a hell of a game and we sealed the game on a sack at the end. Maybe Durant was their QB? Vague on the details but that was a hell of a game. I was sitting next to Fabian Davis' mother. She was a super sweet lady and as entertaining as they come.

DG3, I was also at the 3OT thriller in 03. I got tickets from a UNC fan and was surrounded by Blue. A Carolina fan talked some serious shit to me at halftime and got in my face threatening to fight me. I was with my girlfriend at the time so I just kept on walking. After the game, that same fan found me and came up to me to apologize for being a dick and he congratulated me on the win. I don't know if his parents made him apologize or if I captured lightening in a bottle. Either way, that game was the most entertained I have ever been in an opposing teams arena.

I was also at that game and didn't have a problem great game.

My worst experience was at ECU Grobe's first year. After we won while leaving we had about a dozen beer bottles thrown at us.

I'm starting to get a feeling that Clawson is drilling into the team how miserable it felt to get embarrassed in the 1st Q last year to the tune of 28-0.

Deacs come out firing, and go up 10-0. State looks bewildered, and abandons the run fairly early. Clawson goes conservative, and State throws for 350+, but the Deacs OL plays well enough to gain a couple more scores. Late interception at the WF 25 yard line seals the win, 20-17.

I'm starting to get a feeling that Clawson is drilling into the team how miserable it felt to get embarrassed in the 1st Q last year to the tune of 28-0.

Deacs come out firing, and go up 10-0. State looks bewildered, and abandons the run fairly early. Clawson goes conservative, and State throws for 350+, but the Deacs OL plays well enough to gain a couple more scores. Late interception at the WF 25 yard line seals the win, 20-17.

If this happens...........I'll take it

Seems likely. I'll take it.

It's pretty clear that the team is buying into the "1-0 each week" mantra. It was repeated by both guys interviewed on Tuesday.

Our team should be motivated, because they flat out embarrassed us in that first quarter last year.

Our team should be motivated, because they flat out embarrassed us in that first quarter last year.

Very happy with Clawson and the direction of the program, but that 1st quarter last year was the low point for the program for me under DC. At that point last year, the team had made strides against better competition. Team was just not ready when the game started and State was. Bad. Never have a problem when WF loses because the other team was better; always have a problem when the team loses because the other team was more prepared to play.

Very happy with Clawson and the direction of the program, but that 1st quarter last year was the low point for the program for me under DC. At that point last year, the team had made strides against better competition. Team was just not ready when the game started and State was. Bad. Never have a problem when WF loses because the other team was better; always have a problem when the team loses because the other team was more prepared to play.

Reminds me when Wake played Connecticut at home one year the week after Wake coming out of a bye week. We were not prepared and were never in the game.

If this happens...........I'll take it

I don't think that's very likely. Doesn't matter what the game situation is State will stick to a balanced attack. Lack of adjustments to the game situation is actually one of the problems we have. Also you probably won't get many sacks or TFLs just because we don't run slow developing plays very often. Quick handoffs and quick short passes into space to get 1 on 1 matchups is what you should expect to see. Our receivers do a pretty good job of blocking downfield on those plays. If your LBs/Secondary get off their blocks and make tackles you will have our O stopped. I agree that running inside against Wake' DL is probably not a good strategy. Although I can pretty much guarantee that Matt Dayes will have 1 or 2 20+ yard runs up the middle. He always does. We'll throw deep maybe 3 or 4 times all game just to keep you honest. Always on 2nd and short and never on 1st down. The more I type the more predictable we sound. We seem to put our guy against your guy and see who wins the matchup. We did add a wrinkle last week by putting our more athletic second string QB in for what is almost always a jet sweep handoff to Samuels on short yardage to fake the handoff and ran for a first down or touchdown. I expect at some point we'll see a fake handoff with a pass out of that formation. The QB is capable of that.

We averaged 34 pts a game last year and 42 points a game so far this year and you think you are going to hold us to 17? Can't see that.

I don't think that's very likely. Doesn't matter what the game situation is State will stick to a balanced attack. Lack of adjustments to the game situation is actually one of the problems we have. Also you probably won't get many sacks or TFLs just because we don't run slow developing plays very often. Quick handoffs and quick short passes into space to get 1 on 1 matchups is what you should expect to see. Our receivers do a pretty good job of blocking downfield on those plays. If your LBs/Secondary get off their blocks and make tackles you will have our O stopped. I agree that running inside against Wake' DL is probably not a good strategy. Although I can pretty much guarantee that Matt Dayes will have 1 or 2 20+ yard runs up the middle. He always does. We'll throw deep maybe 3 or 4 times all game just to keep you honest. Always on 2nd and short and never on 1st down. The more I type the more predictable we sound. We seem to put our guy against your guy and see who wins the matchup. We did add a wrinkle last week by putting our more athletic second string QB in for what is almost always a jet sweep handoff to Samuels on short yardage to fake the handoff and ran for a first down or touchdown. I expect at some point we'll see a fake handoff with a pass out of that formation. The QB is capable of that.

FYI, we heard this exact same thing last week before the Indiana game. A far better RB that Matt Dayes (not the he isn't a good back) was completely neutralized, and Indiana abandoned the running game despite racking up INT after INT.

If I'm a State fan, I want to throw the ball a lot more than run. Hell, the strength of almost all of Wake's starting defensive players other than Duke Ejiofor and maybe Brad Watson (big maybe) is run support over pass rush/coverage.

The best defense you've played is 66th best in total defense (highest ranking I could find for them by at least 20 spots), and the other two teams are not much of a measuring stick at all for an offense. Not saying you're completely wrong or that it will happen, but there is a chance it does.

We averaged 34 pts a game last year and 42 points a game so far this year and you think you are going to hold us to 17? Can't see that.

Against ACC foes and the bowl game, State averaged 27.4 points per game last year. Let's not make it seem like they were a juggernaut.

Wake has an above average defense, and hopefully will make State a one-dimensional offense. Is it likely? Maybe not. Is it possible? Absolutely.

On a related note, I cannot believe how terrible State's out of conference opponents have been in recent years. Like, even worse than Wake bad.

FYI, we heard this exact same thing last week before the Indiana game. A far better RB that Matt Dayes (not the he isn't a good back) was completely neutralized, and Indiana abandoned the running game despite racking up INT after INT.

If I'm a State fan, I want to throw the ball a lot more than run. Hell, the strength of almost all of Wake's starting defensive players other than Duke Ejiofor and maybe Brad Watson (big maybe) is run support over pass rush/coverage.

OK well that battle goes to Wake because unless we change coaches before Saturday you'll see a balanced attack. These coaches are completely dedicated to it no matter what is going on in the game. It's happened over and over. We get behind and just refuse to make adjustments. It happened in Greenville a few weeks ago. Play calling in the 4th quarter and the end of game situation was mind boggling. Sometimes I think every play call is scripted before hand.

Against ACC foes and the bowl game, State averaged 27.4 points per game last year. Let's not make it seem like they were a juggernaut.

Wake has an above average defense, and hopefully will make State a one-dimensional offense. Is it likely? Maybe not. Is it possible? Absolutely.

On a related note, I cannot believe how terrible State's out of conference opponents have been in recent years. Like, even worse than Wake bad.

Yes the schedule has been embarrassing.

Back