• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016-2017 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Sizzlin' Summer Bacon

This team is in the trashcan. Do they try to dump Batum and Marv before the deadline or wait until after the season? Both of them are awful.
On the bright side, Frank is balling out from a points standpoint as the starting 5 (27 last night), though he is still marginal overall. I wonder if they could get top dollar for him from a team like Houston or Phoenix.

Vice Sports putting out an article called "Why The Hornets Are The Most Hopeless Team In The NBA": https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/why-the-hornets-are-the-most-hopeless-team-in-the-nba

It isn't that the Hornets are a bad team or that their coaching staff is incompetent. Instead, Charlotte's recent string of awfulness shines a light on the larger mistakes of their front office. It's important to acknowledge that not every organization wants to win a championship—some view a consistent playoff ticket as more valuable than high-variance fluctuations that make legitimate runs for the crown possible. The Hornets aren't the only franchise that recently decided to step on the NBA treadmill of mediocrity, but they might be the only one that can't get off.

Charlotte is in a much worse position than, say, the Indiana Pacers or the Chicago Bulls, two teams that can either cash out on their franchise player and rebuild from the ground up, or catch a lucky break and add another All-Star to the one they already have.

The Hornets don't have a Jimmy Butler or a Paul George. Walker is a deserving All-Star, and his net impact on the Hornets has more than doubled since last season (from +4.3 points per 100 possessions to +11.0, per Basketball-Reference), but his position is too deep to command much market value. Batum is quietly having the best all-around year of his career, but he's also 28 years old and his contract doesn't expire until 2020 (with a $27.1 million player option in 2021).

No one else on the roster is coveted elsewhere in the league, and Charlotte isn't exactly a free-agent destination. Even if they were, the Hornets probably won't have the money: After inexplicably trading Spencer Hawes and Roy Hibbert to Milwaukee for Miles Plumlee, the owner of a top-five terrible contract, Charlotte is likely capped out for the next two summers.

As for the draft, there's not much hope there, either. Charlotte's picks aren't that valuable because they aren't bad enough to make the lottery, and they don't have anyone else's. The opportunity to draft a blue-chip prospect who can alter the course of this team has come and gone.

I mean, what's the ceiling for Plumlee ? Is there any chance he's that much better than Hawes ?

I tend to think that Zeller would be a pretty hot commodity if he were to be shopped, not suggesting that they do so though.

Yeah they could definitely get a lot for Zeller, but he is probably the only guy other than Kemba who they shouldn't trade. He is a really good player who plays hard and is on a great contract given his position and production. The only knock on him is the injury frequency, but that is going to happen with a guy who throws his body around as much as he does.

I still don't really get the Batum love. He is a #3 option, at best, on a good team. But we have to have him on a max deal because we have nobody else to max and someone else would have paid to get him, but we don't have a #2 option ahead of him. So we can't get a #2 because of him, but I don't know if there is a #2 to get even if we had the flexibility.

If only the guy the front office was higher on than most was Booker instead of Frank

Looking at the Hornets last 4 or 5 drafts you cant even detect a theme or a style of play preference. Soft bigs, project bigs, scrappy wings that can't shoot, inconsistent guards.

In an alternate universe, Kemba scored 50 and won ASG MVP for the home team hosts.

Thanks McCrory!

Do we also get Boogie for Frank and some draft picks in that universe?

We're not hopeless. Hell the way we're losing we'll get a very nice pick and hopefully have a new GM to make it

Also I'd take McLemore for a washing machine and hope one of him, Beli, and Lamb can get hot each night and stop trying to break Kemba's back leaving all scoring to him

Also** Sixers/Embiid are still low-key fucked imho

Last edited:
We're not hopeless. Hell the way we're losing we'll get a very nice pick and hopefully have a new GM to make it

Also I'd take McLemore for a washing machine and hope one of him, Beli, and Lamb can get hot each night and stop trying to break Kemba's back leaving all scoring to him

Also** Sixers/Embiid are still low-key fucked imho
What? How are the Sixers in worse shape than the hornets?

shit can change quickly in the nba, it does look pretty bleak now tho. i do think it's time to get a new GM.

They have one good player and he's perma fucked. They traded a GM who couldn't draft for a GM who's semi-retired

They have one good player and he's perma fucked. They traded a GM who couldn't draft for a GM who's semi-retired

Your presence is requested on the NBA thread. Please respond to TownieDeac.

Your presence is requested on the NBA thread. Please respond to TownieDeac.

Ha did he actually call me out? I'm not gonna go on that thread just to bust his balls that there's little rational hope Embiid will ever be more than an Oden. That's just mean. Not gonna hate on a fan having irrational hope for his team

I respect that. Makes sense especially from a State fan.

saric is already better than anyone not named kemba on the hornets

even if embiid never plays another nba game in his career, the sixers are still in better shape to win a ship before the hornets

jeez ph if you're resorting to tintin doing your arguing for you...

Back