• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016-2017 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Sizzlin' Summer Bacon

Solid win last night in an ugly rockfight of a game. Neither team could seemingly hit a shot, luckily Belinelli caught fire in the 4th to give the Hornets a cushion and then Kemba took over down the stretch as usual. Marvin played well in his first game back from injury, but Frank was inconsistent when going back to his bench role. Clifford stressed after the game that everyone remaining healthy for a while is key so they can get comfortable with playing groups.

It's definitely nice to have an above average team to watch a couple nights a week, given the comparative depression the Panthers provide on the weekend.

Hornets play continues to be encouraging...will be interesting to see how they do on this upcoming Eastern Conference road trip, after playing a lot early at home so far this season. All those upcoming road games are against potential playoff teams other than Washington (who has given us fits up there before and cost us the #3 seed late last season with a loss in Washington).

Strong win Friday night steamrolling Orlando at home, but then lost a tough one at Cleveland to start a 5-game road trip. No shame in that loss as LeBron took the game over in the 4th after the Hornets had cut it to 3, but all 5 of these road games are tough so need to pull a few of them out.
I hate to keep harping on it, but Sessions is just a shitshow whenever he comes in. Lamb is still playing well and can handle and distribute, I wish Clifford would let him play PG when Kemba is out.

We have 5 serviceable big men (Cody, Frank, Marv, Hibbert, Hawes), a bunch of small forwards (MKG, Batum, Belli, Lamb) and 2 guards (Kemba and Sessions). Kinda strange roster. Working pretty well but definitely not great when Kemba isn't at full strength like tonight

Yeah last night was tough. They hung around despite shooting poorly but could never really get over the hump. 0-2 on the road trip so far, I'm concerned that we could go 0-5 which would be a huge kick in the nuts.

Dropped another close one last night. Kemba had a chance to tie it with a 3 at the buzzer but it went halfway down and then out. The real killer was down two with 1:20 left, Marvin had a wide open corner 3 and clanked it after a strong comeback from down 11 or 12. The Bullets regrouped and were able to stiffarm enough down the stretch. Lost 3 in a row and staring down the barrel of an 0-5 road trip. Obviously it is a long season and this is probably the toughest stretch on the schedule, but this doesn't help with momentum.

Apparently the NBA felt Boston really needed a W tonight

Also cliff refusing to play lamb when he was one of three guys who could score besides Batum and Belli was great

Finally pulled one out last night to partly salvage a shitty tough road trip. Both Beli and Marvin played great. Marvin is really the X factor for this team. When he (or Frank in that role) is hitting they win, when he doesn't they have a lot more trouble.

By the way, not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Beli trade has been great so far. Very few rookies, especially where they were picking, have made an impact this year, and Beli's scoring has been crucial off the bench. Time will tell if it was worth it in the long run, but so far it looks like a great move by Cho.

Finally pulled one out last night to partly salvage a shitty tough road trip. Both Beli and Marvin played great. Marvin is really the X factor for this team. When he (or Frank in that role) is hitting they win, when he doesn't they have a lot more trouble.

By the way, not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Beli trade has been great so far. Very few rookies, especially where they were picking, have made an impact this year, and Beli's scoring has been crucial off the bench. Time will tell if it was worth it in the long run, but so far it looks like a great move by Cho.

Similar to the trade for Batum in that the player was coming off of a down year and they bet on a rebound.

what a comeback. way to go boys.

also, as much as everybody seemed to not like the trade for Marco, he has been great for us. His shooting has been a godsend.

Amazing comeback. The key to it was not really rotating the starters out in the 3rd/4th in accordance with the normal sub patterns, so the starters were able to come back against the Laker subs. Kemba played 41 mins, Batum 37, and MKG and Marv each 30. Contrast that with Sessions only playing 7. Sunday-Monday was their first 2 days off since sometime in November, so it seems like they took advantage of the rest.

I think Steve Clifford is an incredible coach. I would love to have him as the Wake coach. I may be wrong, but I think he would be a really good college coach. Seems to be a really good teacher and strategist. And has a good eye for talent and how to mix them.

Lakers had two days of rest in Charlotte and came out hot. Apparently there were hundreds of fans there from Kinston to see Ingram play.

Went to the game last night. Lots of unseemly Lakers fans. Best Laker fan was the dude a couple of rows in front of us whose girlfriend got drunk, told him, "Fuck You" multiple times and poured beer all over his back in the third quarter. She came back with five minutes left and spilled some beer on her self, have him another "Fuck You," and disappeared. My 9-year old son was able to identify her as a drunk person.

Fun game though.

I think Steve Clifford is an incredible coach. I would love to have him as the Wake coach. I may be wrong, but I think he would be a really good college coach. Seems to be a really good teacher and strategist. And has a good eye for talent and how to mix them.

Why on earth would he go coach in college where being a teacher and strategist is immensely less important than your ability to influence the decisions of teenage boys?

Yeah seriously, where have we heard that line of thinking before?

Yeah seriously, where have we heard that line of thinking before?

I remember it a lot from people thinking there was no way Brad Stevens would want to coach in the NBA. Folks really have this idyllic view of college basketball.

Paraphrased versions of that were littered throughout that page of quotes when [Redacted] was hired.

"Wake got a good one in Jeff [Redacted]" -Jay fuckin Bilas
"Jeff [Redacted] is a basketball coach" -Melo

Back