• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016-2017 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Sizzlin' Summer Bacon

Big night last night with a come from behind win versus the Nuggets, combined with losses by everyone we are chasing. Kemba, Frank, Beli, and Lamb turned in an impressive 4th quarter that kept the season alive. 2 games out of the 7/8 seeds with 6 to play. We also passed Detroit, so only the Bulls are between us and the Pacers/Heat. That is important, as Detroit has the tiebreaker over us. The Pacers are reeling, going 3-7 over their last 10. The problem is that the Bulls have been playing relatively well, so we need to pass them as well. Huge road game tomorrow at OKC which is likely a loss, but a win would be enormous.

Awesome win yesterday. Still have all Eastern Conference playoff teams in the remaining schedule though. Heat have a pretty brutal schedule to end the season (Wizards twice, Cavs, at Rapters). Pacers have the easiest, but just have to hope they keep nose diving.

Is there a good site for playoff tiebreakers? Interested in how the Hornets stack up...I know if we beat Miami Wednesday, we would win the season series 3-1, so we would have it over them. We split with Indiana 2-2, since they are not in our division does it go to best conference record? If so, looks like we would be in good shape vs. them as well since we are currently 1 game ahead of them in conference record. Chicago won the season series 2-1, so don't have one vs. them. Doubt Atlanta will fall back 3 games, but we'd have it over them as well due to winning the season series. Looks like they are in pretty decent shape at this point, tiebreaker wise.

Tough remaining sched doe. Would really have to keep this roll going to get in

candles-burning-gif-i19.gif

That was a tough way to end it. Came back to take the lead in the 3rd only to completely fall apart. Cut it back to 8 and Batum blew a breakaway dunk that would have cut it to 6, Miami hit a shot, and that was all she wrote. James Johnson played out of his mind and Cleveland Steamered us with like 26 pts, 10-12 from the filed, of course.

Marc Stein‏ @ESPNSteinLine
Story going online: The Charlotte Hornets have picked up the option for next season in GM Rich Cho's existing contract, league sources say.

That's a tough one. On the one hand he improved them tremendously from where they were. On the other hand, he shot his load last year by acquiring a bunch of players whose deals all expired after last year so he couldn't bring them all back and got cash strapped keeping a few when the cap went up. Never addressing the backup PG situation after losing Lin was what sunk this season (other than Cody's injury, but even with that a few more wins from a legit backup PG would have them in the playoffs).

There's no excuse to have a bench as bad as we do when you've been the GM for 5 seasons. and the plumlee trade, holy shit

It's a virtual certainty that the Pelicans who it appears would be slotted one spot ahead of the Hornets for the draft, will improbably win the lottery

So with the #11 pick, assuming they don't go with John Collins who I don't think fits anything close to the style they want to play, we have to hope that they go with a SG right? They passed on Bradley Beal, they passed on Klay Thompson, they didn't get Devin Booker, they really really need someone who can score to take some pressure off of Kemba. Especially if we are stuck with Batum who clearly can't do that on a consistent basis.

Malik Monk seems the unbelievably obvious choice, but he may not be there at #11. I don't think it would cost too much to move up to 7 or 8 to get him, so I would love if they pull the trigger on that. He would fit their need perfectly.

If they can't move up and he is gone, I assume Kennard would be next choice. That would obviously cue the obligatory racist draft analysis from the board's Grand Wizard, DF07, whose head might explode with a CMC/Kennard 2017 Charlotte pro draft class. Nonetheless, he could provide some offense from the SG spot that they have been lacking, especially with the second unit.

Justin Jackson is another possibility, though I don't see him as the scorer at the NBA level that Monk or Kennard could be. He would be a better 2-way player than either, but I view him as a poor man's Batum, which I don't want at this point.

Terrence Ferguson is the wild card, as I guess some people think he has the talent but without having gone to college who the hell knows if he can actually play.

So with the #11 pick, assuming they don't go with John Collins who I don't think fits anything close to the style they want to play, we have to hope that they go with a SG right? They passed on Bradley Beal, they passed on Klay Thompson, they didn't get Devin Booker, they really really need someone who can score to take some pressure off of Kemba. Especially if we are stuck with Batum who clearly can't do that on a consistent basis.

Malik Monk seems the unbelievably obvious choice, but he may not be there at #11. I don't think it would cost too much to move up to 7 or 8 to get him, so I would love if they pull the trigger on that. He would fit their need perfectly.

If they can't move up and he is gone, I assume Kennard would be next choice. That would obviously cue the obligatory racist draft analysis from the board's Grand Wizard, DF07, whose head might explode with a CMC/Kennard 2017 Charlotte pro draft class. Nonetheless, he could provide some offense from the SG spot that they have been lacking, especially with the second unit.

Justin Jackson is another possibility, though I don't see him as the scorer at the NBA level that Monk or Kennard could be. He would be a better 2-way player than either, but I view him as a poor man's Batum, which I don't want at this point.

Terrence Ferguson is the wild card, as I guess some people think he has the talent but without having gone to college who the hell knows if he can actually play.

I guess you're just assuming Zach Collins will already be off the board? Otherwise that's Cho's guy. One can never have enough seven foot white dudes.

It's a virtual certainty that the Pelicans who it appears would be slotted one spot ahead of the Hornets for the draft, will improbably win the lottery

Very much thought this had come true at first when I saw the Kings logo pop up

I guess you're just assuming Zach Collins will already be off the board? Otherwise that's Cho's guy. One can never have enough seven foot white dudes.

He actually could be really good though.

I'd be sad if the Hornets took Justin Jackson. That would be a shame. #11 is too high for Kenard, but he'll be a good player.

Wouldn't hate the French guard at #11 if he's still there.

Back