• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2016-2017 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Sizzlin' Summer Bacon

Focusing back in on this thread to go a little deeper on discussion.

Obviously our prayers were answered with Monk falling to us, I think this could be a phenomenal pick both in terms of player quality and exact need. Combined with the fleecing of Atlanta to dump Plumlee for Howard and I think we are immediately back in the playoff discussion.

When considering lineups, I think 2 pairings are key. First, Batum and Cody need to stay together, as Batum's best games are when he and Cody can play p&r and hi-low. Second, MKG and Monk probably should play together to mask both Monk's defensive liabilities and MKG's offensive struggles, they seem to compliment each other perfectly. So I think we end up of units of:

Kemba - Lamb - Batum - Marv - Zeller
FA PG - Monk - MKG - Frank - Dawight

It is somewhat tricky, as you can't really have Monk and Lamb together, so it forces Lamb into the starting lineup for balance. I'm a bigger Lamb fan than most so I'm okay with that, but it would likely reduce MKG's minutes which probably is not desired. We'll see what Clifford ends up with.

The next big question is the FA PG. Thanks to dumping Plumlee and Marco, we have the full $8.4 million MLE available, plus the $3.3 bi-annual exception, so a decent amount of cash to fill that role. The realistic possibilities look like:

Darren Collison
Ty Lawson
Patty Mills
Aaron Brooks
Randy Foye
Shelvin Mack
Ray Felton
Jason Terry
Beno Udrih
Brandon Jennings

Teague, George Hill, and Jrue Holiday could maybe also be at the top end of the price range, but I don't think either is taking a backup role for the Hornets.

Also, we've got that big fucker Karnowski from Gonzaga on our summer league team.

None of Teague, Hill or Holiday would play for anything close to the MLE in Charlotte. Each of them are likely close to double that by someone.

With the signing of Monk, the Hornets are about $10M over the cap. Do you think Jordan will enter the luxury tax protocol to sign a MLE and fill out the roster to maybe come in 6th in the East? Remember MLE is for 3-4 years and the Hornets will be more than capped for those years as well.

Isn't the point of the Mid-Level Exception that it is an Exception from the luxury tax to help teams over the cap sign players without triggering the tax on that contract? I always assumed that is what it means, but I certainly could be wrong.

Isn't the point of the Mid-Level Exception that it is an Exception from the luxury tax to help teams over the cap sign players without triggering the tax on that contract? I always assumed that is what it means, but I certainly could be wrong.

It allows the team to go over the cap to sign the player. It's not a pass against the tax.

Full Summer League roster:

Dwayne Bacon
Tyrell Corbin
Anthony Gill
Treveon Graham
Kris Joseph
Przemek Karnowski
Malik Monk
Johnny O’Bryant
Quinton Stephens
Rasheed Sulaimon
Briante Weber
Tai Webster
Devin Williams
Gabe York

Official 2016-2017 Charlotte Hornets Thread - Malik Monk Came On Down; 2&2 Came

Full Summer League roster:

Dwayne Bacon
Tyrell Corbin
Anthony Gill
Treveon Graham
Kris Joseph
Przemek Karnowski
Malik Monk
Johnny O’Bryant
Quinton Stephens
Rasheed Sulaimon
Briante Weber
Tai Webster
Devin Williams
Gabe York

I would love to see Weber or York make the final roster. It would be nice to bring an actual perimeter defender off of the bench.

forgot all about gabe York

never really seemed to live up to his hs ranking

Rasheed Sulaimon. I haven't thought about him in years.

Hard to tell which players the Hawks don't regard as mistakes.

Are the Hawks still paying Joe Johnson's contract? Or did that get Alan Houston ruled?

I think you forgot my boy Ferry traded him to the Nyets and put together the 2014 EC 1 seed, only to be fired for being a Deng Truther.

Hard to tell which players the Hawks don't regard as mistakes.

The ones getting paid by the Hornets is a good starting point.

Back