• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How long before we hear rummors of bigger schools pursuing Clawson?

The ACC 100% believes that if ND football were to ever join a conference, it would be into the ACC. If they tried to join the BIG 10, it would be the biggest middle finger in college football history.

The ACC also sees what they want to see. And ND needed a new gig when the BE imploded. Was the B1G willing to make the same offer that the ACC did at that time?

Doesn't ND have some kind of deal with the ACC that would make it hard for them to join another conference?

ND football will never collapse into the ACC. Either they will be good enough to maintain brand value or have enough hope in the new coach to maintain brand value.

Doesn't ND have some kind of deal with the ACC that would make it hard for them to join another conference?

ND football will never collapse into the ACC. Either they will be good enough to maintain brand value or have enough hope in the new coach to maintain brand value.

Agree, because of the ND deal with NBC (and possibly the take from Bowl revenue) will always be worth significantly more than their potential 1/15 share of the ACC football TV deal. That said, scheduling dynamics no longer provide the same incentive for ND to stay independent as Michigan and Michigan State have both dropped ND as an every year opponent. BTW, if ND did join the ACC, the ACC would have an odd number of teams in football (15) which sucks. That would create an incentive to add a 16th team.

Here's a big joke - I have a friend who is a D1 hoops ref and he seems to know what's going on, and he said the power conferences had a handshake deal to never let ND join any of their conferences in a partial manner, and that the other conferences felt betrayed by the ACC when the deal happened. This is a JOKE as it actually suggests that's there's some honor and integrity among the presidents of the different conferences, LOL

Here's a big joke - I have a friend who is a D1 hoops ref and he seems to know what's going on, and he said the power conferences had a handshake deal to never let ND join any of their conferences in a partial manner, and that the other conferences felt betrayed by the ACC when the deal happened. This is a JOKE as it actually suggests that's there's some honor and integrity among the presidents of the different conferences, LOL

Probably truth to that, and would guess that the ACC response would be that ND agreed to play football games against 5 ACC teams a year and it's alignment with the ACC bowl tie-ins made the deal different than its partial membership to the Big East, when ND had zero tie-ins to that conference in football.

Agree, because of the ND deal with NBC (and possibly the take from Bowl revenue) will always be worth significantly more than their potential 1/15 share of the ACC football TV deal. That said, scheduling dynamics no longer provide the same incentive for ND to stay independent as Michigan and Michigan State have both dropped ND as an every year opponent. BTW, if ND did join the ACC, the ACC would have an odd number of teams in football (15) which sucks. That would create an incentive to add a 16th team.

Get WVa once the BIG XII dissolves and that's 16.

ND would push for and get Navy.

ND is a national brand for sure - I wonder how many years they need to stumble for NBC to not want the contract anymore, at least at the price they're currently paying. Will ND football one day soon collapse completely into the ACC?

They'll be more likely to come into the ACC if (probably when) it goes to an 8 team playoff with 5 conference champion spots and 3 at large spots.

The ACC 100% believes that if ND football were to ever join a conference, it would be into the ACC. If they tried to join the BIG 10, it would be the biggest middle finger in college football history.

Any bigger of a finger than saying you can all of our sports but you can't have our FB, like they are doing now?

Does ND really want to be in the ACC if their independent gig falls through or was it just the best available "open port" for their other programs? In other words, if they had to join a conference in football, would they actually prefer the B1G?

I'm pretty sure I read it was part of the deal with the ACC that if ND gave up its independent status for football that it would join the ACC.

lol. while that might be the case i doubt the current AD is telling former players what the strategy is.

The Big XII offered Notre Dame partial membership at the same time that the ACC did. I doubt the SEC and PAC 12 cared. The Big Ten is the only one that seemed upset by it and that was because they wanted Notre Dame as a member themselves.

Guess the phone will not be ringing. Hope DC does not pull a Grobe on us and stay loyal to his OC who is clearly not up to the task

Back