• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Syracuse Game Review / Florida State Game Week Thread

Deac94

Reaction score
SYRACUSE GAME REVIEW

Who would have thought that a physical game played in the rain would favor Wake Forest?

Last week I noted the statistical similarities between the Indiana and NC State game (minus the turnovers). However, this week’s game was very different from the other games, likely due to the weather conditions.

Wake and Syracuse were even in turnovers (two apiece) and explosive plays on offense (3 apiece if you exclude Moe Neal’s long run in garbage time). However, Wake outgained Syracuse in total yards (+4 for the game, or +57 before the Syracuse’s garbage time drive), and benefited from another +58 yards from penalties (Wake would draw only one penalty to Syracuse’s six).

However, the real difference in this otherwise close game was Wake’s efficiency. 4 red zone trips yielded 3 touchdowns. The only exception was the drive that ended with the goal line fumble. It is also worth noting that each time Wake generated an explosive play on offense (>20 yards) they converted that drive into a touchdown. 3 explosive plays = 3 touchdowns drives. Then the defense contributed a score to put the game away.

What likely won’t be repeated is winning with the mix of plays run against Syracuse. That had to have been a result of the weather conditions. Remarkably, 76% of the total offense came from either Cade Carney running the ball, John Wolford running the ball, or Cam Serigne’s two longest receptions. Those 3 play types also accounted for 11 of the 15 individual plays of 9 yards or more (Cortez Lewis also had 2, Chuck Wade 1 and Matt Colburn 1).

STATS

TOTAL YARDS (OFFENSE): 330
Wake’s 2nd lowest against BCS opponents this season

SYRACUSE TOTAL YARDS: 326
Wake had held them to 273 yards before the meaningless drive at the end of regulation. That would have topped the Tulane game as the lowest total this season.

WAKE’S EXPLOSIVE PLAYS: 3
Same result as the Indiana and Syracuse games. Wake’s best games in this category were Duke (6) and NCSU (5).

SYRACUSE’S EXPLOSIVE PLAYS: 4
Wake gave up only 3 long plays before garbage time. That would have matched the Tulane and Duke games. Either way it was a significant improvement from the 7 explosive plays surrendered in both the Indiana and NCSU games.

% of RB CARRIES OF 3 YARDS OR MORE: 54%
This game was second only to the Duke game (59%) among BCS games. A nice bounce back from the season-low 33% against NCSU.

DISRUPTIVE PLAYS BY THE DL: 5
Third-best performance this season. Better than NCSU (2) and Indiana (3) but still well short of the totals put up against Tulane (10.5) and Duke (8.5).

PASS TARGETS

Serigne: 4 completions on 7 targets
Lewis: 5 completions on 6 targets
Bachman: 2 completions on 4 targets
Washington: 0 completions on 2 targets
Wade: 1 completion on 1 target
Hines: 1 PI call on 1 target
Claude: 1 PI call on 1 target

Interesting to note that the slot receivers were only targeted twice. They were both kept busy against Indiana and NCSU. Cortez Lewis continues to see more pass targets as the season goes on.

WAKE’S EXPLOSIVE PLAYS
Wolford 37 run
Serigne 25 reception
Serigne 28 reception

OTHER NOTES

Wolford was so important to winning the game, but he didn’t have a great day passing the ball. I wondered whether the wind hindered his throws or whether it was injury-related. Statistically, he actually got worse once the weather conditions improved. He was only 5 for 11 for 62 yards and 1 INT in the second half. I suspect the injury was a factor.

I agree with those of you that felt that Colburn scored a TD on the drive that ended with the goal line fumble.

I noted that 3 of Carney’s best runs came with OLs pulling (is “kicking out” the better term here?). I’ve noted the same thing earlier this year. Against Syracuse, Carney used holes created by a pulling Phil Haynes (twice) and a creative play in which LT Justin Herron came over to right side of the line to execute a seal block. All 3 looked like well-executed plays leading to 10+ yard runs from Carney.

Marquel Lee was brilliant on the day. Full credit to Lee and to the DL for keeping him clean to run around and make plays. Lee originally endeared himself to Wake fans with a knack for inside pass rushes, but has proven that he is capable of doing much more than that.

I haven’t been able to track the news that closely lately, so I’m not sure what has happened to Josh Harris. Can someone fill me in? A’Lique Terry appears to be doing just fine at OC though.

Hail to 94

SYRACUSE GAME REVIEW

Who would have thought that a physical game played in the rain would favor Wake Forest?

Last week I noted the statistical similarities between the Indiana and NC State game (minus the turnovers). However, this week’s game was very different from the other games, likely due to the weather conditions.

Wake and Syracuse were even in turnovers (two apiece) and explosive plays on offense (3 apiece if you exclude Moe Neal’s long run in garbage time). However, Wake outgained Syracuse in total yards (+4 for the game, or +57 before the Syracuse’s garbage time drive), and benefited from another +58 yards from penalties (Wake would draw only one penalty to Syracuse’s six).

However, the real difference in this otherwise close game was Wake’s efficiency. 4 red zone trips yielded 3 touchdowns. The only exception was the drive that ended with the goal line fumble. It is also worth noting that each time Wake generated an explosive play on offense (>20 yards) they converted that drive into a touchdown. 3 explosive plays = 3 touchdowns drives. Then the defense contributed a score to put the game away.

What likely won’t be repeated is winning with the mix of plays run against Syracuse. That had to have been a result of the weather conditions. Remarkably, 76% of the total offense came from either Cade Carney running the ball, John Wolford running the ball, or Cam Serigne’s two longest receptions. Those 3 play types also accounted for 11 of the 15 individual plays of 9 yards or more (Cortez Lewis also had 2, Chuck Wade 1 and Matt Colburn 1).

STATS

TOTAL YARDS (OFFENSE): 330
Wake’s 2nd lowest against BCS opponents this season

SYRACUSE TOTAL YARDS: 326
Wake had held them to 273 yards before the meaningless drive at the end of regulation. That would have topped the Tulane game as the lowest total this season.

WAKE’S EXPLOSIVE PLAYS: 3
Same result as the Indiana and Syracuse games. Wake’s best games in this category were Duke (6) and NCSU (5).

SYRACUSE’S EXPLOSIVE PLAYS: 4
Wake gave up only 3 long plays before garbage time. That would have matched the Tulane and Duke games. Either way it was a significant improvement from the 7 explosive plays surrendered in both the Indiana and NCSU games.

% of RB CARRIES OF 3 YARDS OR MORE: 54%
This game was second only to the Duke game (59%) among BCS games. A nice bounce back from the season-low 33% against NCSU.

DISRUPTIVE PLAYS BY THE DL: 5
Third-best performance this season. Better than NCSU (2) and Indiana (3) but still well short of the totals put up against Tulane (10.5) and Duke (8.5).

PASS TARGETS

Serigne: 4 completions on 7 targets
Lewis: 5 completions on 6 targets
Bachman: 2 completions on 4 targets
Washington: 0 completions on 2 targets
Wade: 1 completion on 1 target
Hines: 1 PI call on 1 target
Claude: 1 PI call on 1 target

Interesting to note that the slot receivers were only targeted twice. They were both kept busy against Indiana and NCSU. Cortez Lewis continues to see more pass targets as the season goes on.

WAKE’S EXPLOSIVE PLAYS
Wolford 37 run
Serigne 25 reception
Serigne 28 reception

OTHER NOTES

Wolford was so important to winning the game, but he didn’t have a great day passing the ball. I wondered whether the wind hindered his throws or whether it was injury-related. Statistically, he actually got worse once the weather conditions improved. He was only 5 for 11 for 62 yards and 1 INT in the second half. I suspect the injury was a factor.

I agree with those of you that felt that Colburn scored a TD on the drive that ended with the goal line fumble.

I noted that 3 of Carney’s best runs came with OLs pulling (is “kicking out” the better term here?). I’ve noted the same thing earlier this year. Against Syracuse, Carney used holes created by a pulling Phil Haynes (twice) and a creative play in which LT Justin Herron came over to right side of the line to execute a seal block. All 3 looked like well-executed plays leading to 10+ yard runs from Carney.

Marquel Lee was brilliant on the day. Full credit to Lee and to the DL for keeping him clean to run around and make plays. Lee originally endeared himself to Wake fans with a knack for inside pass rushes, but has proven that he is capable of doing much more than that.

I haven’t been able to track the news that closely lately, so I’m not sure what has happened to Josh Harris. Can someone fill me in? A’Lique Terry appears to be doing just fine at OC though.
Dude, thanks for an awesome synapse of the game!!! Really appreciate all you do to keep information flowing you Rock. Hope you are well!!!

Always look for these reviews. Thanks for your efforts.

WF's rushing stats and total yards stats were skewed by the punt snap over Maggio's head. In the stats, that play counted as a negative 45 yard run. Excluding that fluke play and fluke stat, WF had 245 yards rushing and 385 total yards. Taking out that play, WF ypc jumped from 3.7 to 4.9.

FSU will obviously be very tough. If we can win the turnover battle, contain (not shut down, don't think that's possible) Dalvin Cook, and limit big down-field passing plays, Wake will be in it in the 4th quarter.

The biggest match-up of the game is definitely Wake OL vs FSU DL. Hope our guys can hold their own.

Thanks Deac 94 and glad you are doing well, I had to go back and look at the stats because in my mind the Chuck Wade play was 20 plus. Only eighteen but can we count the three on the penalty to get over 20? Great job as always and it was worth sitting in a hurricane to see that game!

From Clawson's ACC teleconference:

Q. You played them tough last year. Ended up losing. Playing Florida State tough early in the season, how much did that kind of carry through for confidence the rest of the season?
COACH CLAWSON: I don't know if there was much carryover from it. I think the players in our locker room are very competitive. I don't think they ever take a positive from a loss. I didn't think they walked away from that game saying, Hey, we feel good because we had a chance to beat Florida State with a minute late, came up short. There's that same level of disappointment every time you don't find a way to win.

Again, I don't know if we gained a lot by playing them tight. I think you either find a way to win and you're successful or you don't. We certainly felt we missed some opportunities against them last year. Again, they're a great team. Whenever you play a team the caliber of Florida State, your margin for error is very small.

One reason I love Clawson is that he's not LOWF in the least. Never accepts any built-in excuse for failure. So glad it's looking like we'll be successful this year and Claw will win here, with the right attitude.

Anyone else surprised Carney carried it 29 times his first game back from injury?

I wouldn't mind seeing Bell get some more snaps. He has been lauded in pass pro and is probably our best in the open field. Have we run a traditional screen all year?

Anybody headed to the game?

I expect to be drowning my sorrows at Bullwinkle's Saturday night.

Several of Wolford's early passes seemed to be affected by the wet ball slipping a bit when he threw it. Early in the second half, Wolford was hit on his throwing arm/hand and returned to the line shaking it.

Yeah. Wolford's passing statistics getting worse as the game went along was due to a stinger he got from a hard hit. He was having tingling in his arm throughout the game from that point on so he didn't have much touch. Which makes the really crucial throw to Serigne on that game clinching drive so clutch. The feeling would come and go from what Clawson said based on if he had gotten hit. So, they decided to throw earlier in that possession since he could still feel his hand.

I wouldn't mind seeing Bell get some more snaps. He has been lauded in pass pro and is probably our best in the open field. Have we run a traditional screen all year?

Seems to be our best pass-catching RB too. Clawson doesn't seem to use a 3rd down back in passing situations but Bell seems to be a good fit for that role.

When was our last nationally-televised game?

I think we've run exactly two and they both resulted in sacks.

Yeah. Wolford's passing statistics getting worse as the game went along was due to a stinger he got from a hard hit. He was having tingling in his arm throughout the game from that point on so he didn't have much touch. Which makes the really crucial throw to Serigne on that game clinching drive so clutch. The feeling would come and go from what Clawson said based on if he had gotten hit. So, they decided to throw earlier in that possession since he could still feel his hand.

But he made a beautiful throw to Cam that got us going on the drive that ultimately put us up 21-9 late in the game.

Seems to be our best pass-catching RB too. Clawson doesn't seem to use a 3rd down back in passing situations but Bell seems to be a good fit for that role.

When was our last nationally-televised game?

If you count ESPNU then Duke this year. If not, then I think Clemson last year was, and also Louisville last year (Friday night).

Surprisingly, there very little chatter this week about our upcoming game with FSU.
I'll interpret this as quiet confidence that we'll win and do our talking after the game.

Go Deacs.

Back