• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Nah I don't think this is true. We'll use it on a grad transfer if we can assuming the scholarship becomes available. If it works out like it has for TVH, then yeah he'll get it then.

We aren't mortgaging our future recruits to give one to Sunday unless he earns it later in his career.

That would be awesome. I hope you're right. It's just hard for me to believe that if he had scholarship opportunities elsewhere he'd come to Wake...I thought he had offers else where, but maybe I'm wrong.

giphy.gif

Top 50 2019 PF Armando Bacot took an unofficial visit to Wake yesterday and got an offer. Good to see our staff building relationships with these young guys.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Here is the followup to my earlier post. Will Johnson from Hickory was the guy. He was on the UNC roster from 1999 to 2003 on a Morehead scholarship for academic excellence. Never on BB scholarship. With all the changes, I'm not going to try and find that ancient history over at the other site. The material below is from his bio prior to his senior season.

Will Johnson Bio (PDF Format)

dot.gif
spacer.gif
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Download Free Acrobat Reader[/FONT][/FONT]

AT CAROLINA
Has appeared in 74 career games, more than any other Tar Heel • Has scored 150 points and grabbed 114 rebounds in those 74 games • Attends the University on a Morehead Scholarship, the most prestigious academic and service grant awarded at UNC • Fundamentally sound player • A solid positional rebounder • An adept outside shooter • Has made 20 of 53 career three-point field goals • One of only two upperclassmen in the program • Stayed in Chapel Hill this past summer to concentrate on work in the weight room • Wears No. 44 because it was his high school uniform number • Three-time ACC Honor Roll member.

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep.html?SPID=12965&DB_OEM_ID=3350
AT CAROLINA
Has appeared in 74 career games, more than any other Tar Heel • Has scored 150 points and grabbed 114 rebounds in those 74 games • Attends the University on a Morehead Scholarship, the most prestigious academic and service grant awarded at UNC • Heady player • Scrappy • An adept outside shooter • Has made 20 of 53 career three-point field goals • One of only two upperclassmen in the program • Gym rat • Wears No. 44 because it was his high school uniform number • Three-time ACC Honor Roll member.

Edited for clarity.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Here is the followup to my earlier post. Will Johnson from Hickory was the guy. He was on the UNC roster from 1999 to 2003 on a Morehead scholarship for academic excellence. Never on BB scholarship. With all the changes, I'm not going to try and find that ancient history over at the other site. The material below is from his bio prior to his senior season.

dot.gif
spacer.gif

AT CAROLINA
Has appeared in 74 career games, more than any other Tar Heel • Has scored 150 points and grabbed 114 rebounds in those 74 games • Attends the University on a Morehead Scholarship, the most prestigious academic and service grant awarded at UNC • Fundamentally sound player • A solid positional rebounder • An adept outside shooter • Has made 20 of 53 career three-point field goals • One of only two upperclassmen in the program • Stayed in Chapel Hill this past summer to concentrate on work in the weight room • Wears No. 44 because it was his high school uniform number • Three-time ACC Honor Roll member.

If he was a recruited athlete he still counted against their basketball scholarship limit. He didn't have to be recruited by them, but just be a 'recruited athlete'.

That would be awesome. I hope you're right. It's just hard for me to believe that if he had scholarship opportunities elsewhere he'd come to Wake...I thought he had offers else where, but maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think $$$ is really an issue if he's got legal guardians here now who sent their 2 children to GFA and are probably willing to pay for him to chase his dream. If that's the case I could definitely see a raw big man like him looking at this as a great opportunity to be coached up by Manning while attending a top university in the best basketball conference in the nation. TITSWF is probably correct on this.

If he was a recruited athlete he still counted against their basketball scholarship limit. He didn't have to be recruited by them, but just be a 'recruited athlete'.

I'm not sure this is true, as much was made of the advantage UNC gained by not counting an all state level player against their basketball scholarship limit. I find it hard to believe that no other school in the state would have tried to recruit a player of that caliber. In my fuzzy mind, he accepted a Morehead as a wink wink, nudge nudge "outstanding scholar" from the state. He just happened to have basketball as one of his extra curricular activites.

That UNC roster was really interesting as it also had Ronald Curry of "Curry math" fame and Julius Peppers (twos sport start) and the infamously named "Jon Holmes" on it.

I'm not sure this is true, as much was made of the advantage UNC gained by not counting an all state level player against their basketball scholarship limit. I find it hard to believe that no other school in the state would have tried to recruit a player of that caliber. In my fuzzy mind, he accepted a Morehead as a wink wink, nudge nudge "outstanding scholar" from the state. He just happened to have basketball as one of his extra curricular activites.

That UNC roster was really interesting as it also had Ronald Curry of "Curry math" fame and Julius Peppers (twos sport start) and the infamously named "Jon Holmes" on it.

I looked at the roster for 2002-2003 and there are only 14 players listed. At least 3-4 of them, other than Will Johnson, were walk-ons. So I don't see how the scholarship limit would have been an issue anyway - at least for that year.

dot.gif
spacer.gif

AT CAROLINA

More than any other current Tar Heel on the roster at that time?

Chaundee is on the preseason list for the Naismith HS POY award.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18- Brown & Eggleston (& Okeke) are Deacs! Onward to 2018

In my fuzzy mind, he accepted a Morehead as a wink wink, nudge nudge "outstanding scholar" from the state. He just happened to have basketball as one of his extra curricular activites.

I get that you're not totally serious about this argument, but the Morehead is an extremely prestigious, extremely competitive scholarship. And UNC basketball has absolutely zero input on who wins this. It involves a competitive nomination process at the high school level, interviews, etc.

I can think of a number of Wake examples who received various kinds of merit-based (or benefits-based, like the debate about Chill's tuition concession, which I suppose isn't technically "aid") scholarships, including what was either a Reynolds or a Carswell, that didn't count against scholarship numbers *and* were widely recruited.

Either this rule is not actually enforced to the letter or we're misreading it.

Yeah Will Johnson also went to Harvard Business School. wakephan09 and I met him (wonder if he remembers) working for the Erskine Bowles campaign in 2004.

Yeah Will Johnson also went to Harvard Business School. wakephan09 and I met him (wonder if he remembers) working for the Erskine Bowles campaign in 2004.

Lol, nope, don't remember meeting him. My "Harrell for Congress" shirt is finally on its last legs though. F'in Virginia Foxx.

I get that you're not totally serious about this argument, but the Morehead is an extremely prestigious, extremely competitive scholarship. And UNC basketball has absolutely zero input on who wins this. It involves a competitive nomination process at the high school level, interviews, etc.

I can think of a number of Wake examples who received various kinds of merit-based (or benefits-based, like the debate about Chill's tuition concession, which I suppose isn't technically "aid") scholarships, including what was either a Reynolds or a Carswell, that didn't count against scholarship numbers *and* were widely recruited.

Either this rule is not actually enforced to the letter or we're misreading it.

What sports? Because I think the rule may only apply to basketball and football.

I looked at the roster for 2002-2003 and there are only 14 players listed. At least 3-4 of them, other than Will Johnson, were walk-ons. So I don't see how the scholarship limit would have been an issue anyway - at least for that year.

The isssue arose the year he entered UNC. The 1998- 1999 roster had 13 scholarship players on it. Carolina graduated two seniors that year. They added three players. The 1999-2000 roster had 17! players listed. They brought in Jon Holmes and Joseph Forte on BB scholarships and added Julius Peppers from the FB team (FB Scholarship) Two walk-ons and Johnson completed the 17.

Yes, Will Johnson was a smart guy and earned his Morehead fair and square. The fuss was about him being added to the UNC BB roster without him counting against the BB limit.

What sports? Because I think the rule may only apply to basketball and football.
Not basketball and football. I proposed exactly that question in post #256, but it must have been lost in the flurry.

The reason I asked originally is because Deaconblue's explanation said "any varsity intercollegiate sport" and it sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

Last edited:
If you think about it, it makes little sense to have the same requirement for non-revenue sports because only a very small number of athletes are on full rides anyways.

Back