• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Strickland33

Reaction score
In 2016-2017, Danny Manning coached a roster led by his own recruits with added depth at every position and responded by taking the Deacs back to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2010. In the 2017-2018 season, Manning and the Deacs will have to overcome losing John Collins to the Atlanta Hawks and Dinos Mitoglou to Panathinaikos, both of whom anchored the team's improbable run to the 2017 NCAA Tournament.

While the 2016 class was not particularly impressive by the numbers, Manning and his staff took a big step forward by landing recent commitments from Top-25 SF Jaylen Hoard (2018), Top-40 SG Chaundee Brown (2017), 4-star French center Olivier Sarr (2017), 3-star SF Timmel "Melo" Eggleston (2017), and 3-star combo-guard Sharon Wright, Jr.

Hoard and Brown are Wake Forest's best recruits since Al-Farouq Aminu in 2008 and Sarr received international recognition on the basis of his performance in the 2016 FIBA U17 World Championship.

--Brown is a 4-star prospect on Rivals (#38 overall), Scout (#39 overall/#6 SG), ESPN (#33 overall/#7 SG), and 247 (#39 overall/#9 SG)
--Brown chose Wake over offers from Kansas, Florida, Maryland, Connecticut, Indiana, Xavier, Memphis, Louisiana State, Georgia, USC, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech and Central Florida.

--Eggleston is rated a 3-star prospect on Rivals (NR), Scout (NR), ESPN (#70 SF) and 247 (#207 overall/#43 SF).
--Eggleston chose Wake over offers from Baylor, Connecticut, Miami, Georgia, Nebraska, Louisiana State, Clemson, Memphis, Virginia Tech, USC, Texas Tech, Oregon State, South Carolina, Washington State, Georgia Tech, Boise State, and Loyola (MD).

--Sarr is a 4-star prospect on Rivals (NR) and Scout (NR), a 3-star prospect on 247 (#243 overall/#23 C), and unranked on ESPN.
--Sarr chose Wake over offers from California, Vanderbilt, and Central Florida.

Manning also secured commitments from graduate transfer PF Terrence Thompson and preferred walk-on PF Sunday Okeke:

-Thompson graduated from Marshall after transferring from UNC Charlotte in 2014. Thompson averaged 9.1 points (56.3% 2FG, 29.2% 3FG, 62.6% FT), 6.5 rebounds, and 0.8 steals last year during his junior season.

--Okeke is rated #75 PF prospect on ESPN and unranked on Rivals, Scout, and 247

While Manning and his staff could still add an additional 2017 recruit or a graduate transfer down the line, the staff has three open scholarships at their disposal for the class of 2018 and are actively recruiting Top-100 players at every position.

Manning has already secured a commitment from 2018 prospects Jaylen Hoard, a 6'8 wing from High Point via France, Isaiah Mucius, a 6'8 wing from New York, and Sharone Wright, Jr., a 6'5 combo-guard from South Carolina.

-Hoard is rated a 5-star prospect on Scout (#22 overall, #8 SF) and ESPN (#19 overall, #5 SF), and a 4-star prospect on Rivals (#29 overall) and 247 (#43 overall, #8 SF).
-Hoard chose Wake over offers from Kansas, Florida, Maryland, Oklahoma State, North Carolina State, USC, Providence, Washington, and California

-Mucius is rated a 4-star prospect on Scout (#87 overall, #22 SF), Rivals (#82 overall), ESPN (#71 overall, #18 SF), and 247 (#69 overall, #14 SF)
-Mucius chose Wake over offers from Xavier, Connecticut, Oregon, Minnesota, Seton Hall, St. John's, Louisiana State, Temple, Rutgers, Penn State, Saint Joseph's, Massachusetts, and Saint Louis.

-Wright is rated a 4-star prospect on ESPN (#25 PG) and a 3-star prospect on Rivals, Scout, and 247 (#27 PG, #145 overall).
-Wright chose Wake over offers from Florida State, Arkansas, Memphis, South Carolina, Clemson, Kansas State, Georgia, Texas Tech, Georgia Tech, VCU, Auburn, UCF, Charlotte, Duquesne, Old Dominion, East Carolina, and Coastal Carolina.

wfubball.jpg
(Thanks, DCDeacon)

Top Prospects and Un/official Visits:

4-star PGs Drue Drinnon and Jamie Lewis are in the 2018 mix, too, but are favorites to land elsewhere.

OFFICIAL VISITS:

2017:
Olivier Sarr, February 9 [committed]

2018:
Mike DeVoe, September 15
Nate Laszewski, September 15
Isaiah Mucius, September 15 [committed]
Sharone Wright, Jr., September 22 [committed]
Ayo Dosunmu, September 29
Nate Roberts, September 29
Jamie Lewis, November 3 [committed

UNOFFICIAL VISITS (in alphabetical order):

-2018 prospects Immanuel Bates, Rechon Black, Jamarious Burton, Devon Dotson, Jaylen Gainey, Jairus Hamilton, Zion Hendrix, Nate Hinton, Jaylen Hoard, Malik Johnson, Nate Laszewski, Jamie Lewis, Elijah McCadden, Isaiah Mucius, Qon Murphy, John Newman III, Joel Ntambwe, Kody Shubert, Nate Springs, Ian Steere, Hunter Tyson, Trey Wertz, Coby White, and Aaron Wiggins.

-2019 prospects Joey Baker, Christian Brown, Deuce Dean, Anthony Harris, B.J. Mack, Johnathan McGriff, Justin McKoy, Wendell Moore, Josh Nickleberry, Josh Newman, DeAndre Wilkins, Jalen Williams, and Jaelyn Withers have taken unofficial visits.

-2020 prospects Jalen Cone, Hunter Dickinson, Silas Mason, Carson McCorkle, Burke Smith have taken unofficial visits.

Recruiting Prospects:

Below is a list of our 2018, 2019, and 2020 recruits organized by position, ranking, and offer status. Lists are in alphabetical order by ranking.

There is not any inside information on this thread unless posted by an insider.

Class of 2018:

Small Forward: (2018)

Jairus Hamilton (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, North Carolina, Arizona, Louisville, Maryland, Florida, Baylor, North Carolina State, Miami, Stanford, Texas A&M, California, Tennessee, West Virginia, South Carolina, Virginia Tech, and Hampton.

Akuwovo "Savior" Ogeneyole (UR: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall, St. John’s, and Pennsylvania

Class of 2019:

Point Guard: (2019)

Cole Anthony (5-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Georgetown, St. John's, and Iona

Ashton Hagans (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Florida, Florida State, Texas A&M, Louisiana State, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Mississippi State, Georgia, Wichita State, Auburn, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, and Radford.

Casey Morsell (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati, Oklahoma State, Penn State, Rhode Island, VCU, Temple, St. Joseph's, George Washington, South Florida, DePaul, Richmond, George Mason, Towson, and Binghamton.

Grant Sherfield (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Kansas, UCLA, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, California, Mississippi State, Texas Tech, Louisiana State, New Mexico, SMU, and San Diego.

Bryce Wills (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Maryland, Connecticut, Villanova, Providence, Gonzaga, Penn State, VCU, Minnesota, St. John's, Temple, Massachusetts, Saint Mary's, Iona, Fordham, and Hofstra.

Noah Hutchins (UR: OFFERED): Wake Forest and Columbia.

Russell "Deuce" Dean (UR: NO OFFER): Virginia Tech and The Citadel.

Mike Green (UR: NO OFFER): None.

Johnathan McGriff (UR: NO OFFER): Kent State and Hampton.

Jalen Williams (UR: NO OFFER): None.

Shooting Guard: (2019)

Joey Baker (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Florida, North Carolina State, Texas, Tennessee, Providence, Clemson, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Charlotte, East Carolina, Hofstra, and Western Carolina.

Josh Green (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Arizona, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Marquette, Stanford, USC, TCU, UNLV, California, Washington, Arizona State, Georgia Southern, UC Santa Barbara, Prairie View A&M, Utah State, San Francisco, and UT Martin.

Anthony Harris, Jr. (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, George Mason, UCF, and Old Dominion.

Zach Harvey (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Kansas, Iowa, Kansas State, Creighton, Nebraska, and Northwestern.

Elias King (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Florida State, Auburn, Georgia Tech, and VCU.

Justin Moore (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Louisville, Xavier, Notre Dame, Old Dominion, and Towson.

Josh Nickleberry (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, North Carolina, Baylor, Providence, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Penn State, Georgia Tech, Georgia, DePaul, VCU, East Carolina, Tulane, and Howard.

Jalen Lecque (3-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Minnesota, Kansas State, Texas Tech, St. John's, Georgia, Rhode Island, Virginia Commonwealth, Houston, Iona, Manhattan, Rider, and Stony Brook.

Patrick Williams (UR: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Dayton, Delaware State, UNCG and Hampton.

Adam Francolini (UR: NO OFFER): None

Zeb Graham, Jr. (UR: NO OFFER): Presbyterian.

Small Forward: (2019)

Christian Brown (5-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Kansas, Florida, Florida State, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Louisiana State, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Georgia, VCU, UCF, Georgia State, Western Kentucky, and Charleston.

D.J. Jeffries (5-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Kansas, Texas A&M, Memphis, Iowa State, Mississippi, and UT Martin.

Scottie Lewis (5-star: NO OFFER): Kansas, Florida, Maryland, Washington, Villanova, Miami, Notre Dame, Xavier, Seton Hall, St. John's, VCU, Temple, Richmond, Rutgers, and Colgate.

Ismael Massoud (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Xavier, Rutgers, Saint Louis, St. Bonaventure, Iona, Hofstra, Monmouth, Stony Brook, and Yale.

Wendell Moore, Jr. (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, North Carolina, Syracuse, Florida, Tennesee, North Carolina State, Virginia Tech, Georgia, and Charlotte.

Khalil Whitney (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Connecticut, Illinois, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, St. John's, Saint Louis, Rutgers, New Mexico State, and Illinois-Chicago.

Jaylin Williams (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Florida State, Connecticut, Texas A&M, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Virginia Tech, UNLV, Nebraska, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kansas State, Auburn, South Florida, and Kennesaw State.

Nassir Little (4-star: NO OFFER): Florida, Florida State, Louisville, Miami, Virginia, Stanford, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Louisiana State, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Georgia, USC, VCU, George Washington, UCF, UAB, Florida Gulf Coast, Stetson, and North Florida.

Bruce Guy, Jr. (UR: NO OFFER): Virginia Tech, SMU, Tulsa, Middle Tennessee State, Western Kentucky, and Morehead State.

Isaiah Palmero (UR: NO OFFER): Northern Arizona

Power Forward: (2019)

Aidan Igiehon (5-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Oklahoma, Syracuse, Texas A&M, Indiana, Illinois, Xavier, USC, Wichita State, St. John's, Rutgers, Dayton, and Rhode Island.

Armando Bacot (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Florida State, Georgetown, Miami, Virginia, Providence, Virginia Tech, Penn State, VCU, Georgia Tech, St. John's, UCF, Richmond, Old Dominion, and James Madison.

Isaac Johnson (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Gonzaga, Stanford, Utah, Brigham Young, Utah State, and Southern Utah.

Jeremiah Robinson-Earl (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Kansas, Washington, Oklahoma, Iowa, Kansas State, and Creighton.

Isaiah Stewart (4-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Florida, Syracuse, Georgetown, Providence, Tennessee, George Washington, Buffalo, Saint Louis, St. Bonaventure, and Niagara.

Tyrese Samuel (3-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Providence, Virginia Tech, Wichita State, Rhode Island, East Carolina, SMU, Canisius, Towson, and Old Dominion.

Omar Payne (UR: NO OFFER): North Florida

Dexter Shouse, Jr. (UR: NO OFFER): DePaul, IUPUI, and New Orleans.

Center: (2019)

Balsa Koprivica (5-star: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Arizona, UCLA, Louisville, Florida, Florida State, Baylor, Connecticut, Tennessee, Providence, USC, Miami, San Diego State, UCF, Georgia State, and Murray State.

Chol Marial (5-stat: OFFERED): Wake Forest, Florida State, West Virginia, Iowa, Georgetown, St. John's, UCF, SMU, Rutgers, and Portland.

D.J. Burns (3-star: NO OFFER): Louisiana State, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Western Kentucky, Davidson, Charleston, Tulane, Winthrop, Western Carolina, South Carolina State, North Carolina A&T, and North Florida.

DeAndre Wilkins (UR: NO OFFER): Hampton.

Class of 2020:

PG - Noah Farrakhan (5-star: OFFERED), Jaden Springer (5-star: OFFERED), Adam Miller (4-star: OFFERED), and Jalen Cone (UR: NO OFFER),

SG - Keon Johnson (UR: OFFERED) and Carson McCorkle (UR: NO OFFER)

SF - Jabri Abdur-Rahim (5-star: OFFERED) and Jalen Suggs (5-star: OFFERED)

PF - Isaiah Todd (5-star: OFFERED)

C - Hunter Dickinson (5-star: OFFERED)

Class of 2021:

SG - Trey Patterson (UR: OFFERED)

Offered going elsewhere:
Marvin Bagley III: PF, 5-star - Duke
Ayo Dosunmu: PG, 5-star - Illinois
Darius Garland: PG, 5-star - Vanderbilt
Keldon Johnson: SG, 5-star - Kentucky
Kevin Knox: SF, 5-star - Kentucky
Khavon Moore: SF, 5-star ???
Immanuel Quickley: PG, 5-star - Kentucky
Javonte Smart: PG, 5-star - Louisiana State.
Zion Williamson: SG, 5-star - ???
Rechon Black: SG, 4-star - UNC
Ryan Boyce: SF, 4-star - Alabama-Birmingham
Tyger Campbell: PG, 4-star - DePaul
Darius Days: PF, 4-star - LSU
Mike Devoe: PG, 4-star - Georgia Tech
Devon Dotson: PG, 4-star - Kansas
Drue Drinnon: PG, 4-star - New Mexico
David Duke: PG, 4-star - Providence
Quentin Grimes: SG, 4-star - Kansas
Prentiss Hubb: SG, 4-star - Notre Dame
Nate Laszewski: PF, 4-star - Notre Dame
Jaedon LeDee: SF, 4-star - Ohio State
Jaelin Llewellyn: PG, 4-star - Princeton
Keyontae Johnson: SG, 4-star - Florida
Antwann Jones, Jr: SG, 4-star - Oklahoma State
David McCormack: PF, 4-star - Kansas
Will Richardson: SG, 4-star - Oregon
Nate Roberts: PF, 4-star - Washington
Cole Swider: SG, 4-star - Villanova
Elijah Weaver: SG, 4-star - USC
Aaron Wiggins: SG, 4-star - Maryland
Coby White: PG, 4-star - UNC
Will Dillard: SG, 3-star - Georgia Southern
Greg Floyd Jr: SF, 3-star - Long Beach State
Jordan Lathon: PG, 3-star - Northwestern
John “Johnny” Newman III: SG, 3-star - Clemson
Joel Ntambwe: SF, 3-star - Providence, Tennessee, Wichita State, Duquesne, and Denver.
Jarvis Thomas: PF, 3-star - Minnesota
Hunter Tyson: SF, 3-star - Clemson
Elijah McCadden: SG, UR - Georgia Southern
Kevin Obanor: PF, UR - Oral Roberts

Updated 10/17/2017

Last edited:
This is a really good summary of 2018 recruiting news thus far:

Since 2017 recruiting is done barring something unforeseen, I thought I would take a quick look at where we go from here. (It may be time for a new recruiting thread by the way.)

I expect that we will look at the grad transfer market in the spring. But we don't have a lot of obvious playing time to sell a potential transfer. It wouldn't surprise me if Greg McClinton just returned for his redshirt senior season at this point instead of taking a grad transfer. The only reason he wouldn't is if he just wants more playing time somewhere else.

For 2018, I think we'll give out three scholarships. We are definitely in the market for a point guard, another wing and a big.

Devon Dotson is both our top point guard target and top target overall as far as I can tell. UNC taking other commits and bowing out of the running helps us tremendously. The main competition will be Kansas and NC State. Although both Kentucky and Duke are keeping tabs on him, obviously that's a game changer if either of them offer and prioritize him. His brother Dalen Dotson plays at North Carolina A&T which will help us tremendously in our pitch to keeping instate, close to home. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/high-school/article84594612.html

Sharone Wright jr. is being targeted as a "big guard" whatever that means. He's already 6'5 and is projected by his doctors to grow to 6'8. I think we're targeting him as a point guard but it could be shooting guard as he's listed as both in different places. The staff has done a great job with the early legwork on him and we are an early favorite.

Isaiah Mucius is our top wing target right now. He is listed as a Top 25 player and Wake was on him extremely early being the first P5 program to offer. Losing Brandon Randolph hurts here because they are best friends.

David McCormack is our top big man target. But he will draw Blue Blood attention that will make us unlikely to ever receive a commitment.

I feel very good about the staff landing a great point guard and wing in this class. We have offered several at both spots and are in good shape with a lot of them. For a post product, its still early to see where the staff decides to focus beyond the David McCormack obligatory attempt at a home run.

and an update from Ranger:

I would rate Sharone Wright jr. as the recruit we're most likely to land. I've not seen anything to change my opinion that we are his leader.

Devon Dotson is our top target and we're in good shape there. Isaiah Muscious is another highly rated recruit that we're in great position to land. Those are just a few of the recruits we're involved with. I doubt we see anyone commit to Wake before April at the earliest.

Last edited:
Here are a few fun things from the Class of 2018. ESPN #11 is a PG named Immanuel Quickley. That's appropriate. Shaq's son Shareef is #18. Our target David McCormack is #20.

Thanks for starting the thread, went ahead and un-stickied the other one.

You forgot Trent Van Horn on the scholarship chart for the current season.

Here are a few fun things from the Class of 2018. ESPN #11 is a PG named Immanuel Quickley. That's appropriate. Shaq's son Shareef is #18. Our target David McCormack is #20.
I have an inside connect on shaq's son!

FYI - wake is not in the mix!

We just offered a 6'7 2019 combo guard named Elias King. Other offers include Florida State, Auburn, VCU, and GT.

An interview with Elias King from the summer.

"EM: What do you plan to major in when attending college?

EK: Business because me and my family are big on life after basketball. I want to own a lot of businesses like Magic Johnson.

EM: Any personal goals on or off the court?

EK: To be the best student I can be, to have straight A’s, a high school diploma, and a college masters degree. On the court, I want to be the best on offense and defense, I want to be a great team player, and a leader on and off the court."

http://endlessmotor.net/2016/08/22/an-introduction-to-elias-king/

^. His answers seem quite different than your typical "academics" response most recruits give.

Hopefully landing that first big fish will lead to others in 2018.

An interview with Elias King from the summer.

"EM: What do you plan to major in when attending college?

EK: Business because me and my family are big on life after basketball. I want to own a lot of businesses like Magic Johnson.

EM: Any personal goals on or off the court?

EK: To be the best student I can be, to have straight A’s, a high school diploma, and a college masters degree. On the court, I want to be the best on offense and defense, I want to be a great team player, and a leader on and off the court."

http://endlessmotor.net/2016/08/22/an-introduction-to-elias-king/

Good that he didn't say he wants to major in English.

Is Sharone Wright, Jr. the son of the former Clemson player who schooled Timmy D in one of Timmy's first ACC games?

Back