• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

This type of talk is typically reserved for nonathletic white guys. Maybe he'll someday turn into what we all hoped Moto would be?

Nah, same amount of syllables in his name as Nikki Arinze, so let's go with that.

Last edited:
Getting Chaundee was so HUGE for Manning. I believe Manning is gonna turn this thing around. We will be good again!

Obviously this is a lofty comparison but the Crawford, Collins, Brown trio is going to be the best since Teague, Johnson, Aminu. With shooters to compliment them like we had on the '09 team they could be very very good. I'm excited for that team already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that really the case? The Ivy League doesn't offer athletic scholarships. Only financial aid.

Under NCAA rules, if an individual receives non-athletic institutional financial aid and participates in a varsity intercollegiate sport, he becomes a "counter" against the scholarship limit in a sport in the year in which he or she first participates. Thus the Ivies can give "non-athletic" financial aid, but those students who get financial aid start counting against athletic scholarship limits once they play. Ivy League athletes do not sign NCAA LOI's.

Under NCAA rules, if an individual receives non-athletic institutional financial aid and participates in a varsity intercollegiate sport, he becomes a "counter" against the scholarship limit in a sport in the year in which he or she first participates. Thus the Ivies can give "non-athletic" financial aid, but those students who get financial aid start counting against athletic scholarship limits once they play. Ivy League athletes do not sign NCAA LOI's.

Thanks for the explanation.

The last time I heard Okeke this much was back in 1981 when I had an adjacent room to the Vandeweghes. Welcome aboard, big guy!

So I'm not sure of the rule exactly, so I'm not going to challenge this, but I can think of a number of exceptions. Does this perhaps only apply to football and basketball?

Yeah, I am thinking this isn't the precise answer. Pretty much everyone at Wake gets some financial aid. I doubt guys are waiving that for the chance to walk onto the basketball team.
It has been a while since I knew what the answer to this is, but I thought it had something to do with the recruiting process itself?

My previous posts addressed the issue of recruited student athletes. Because of all the discussion about Sunday, it was most likely he was "recruited" by Wake thereby triggering all the NCUA rules. The other was how scholarship counting and restrictions apply when schools (Ivy League) don't give athletic scholarships.

UNC actually did what some here suggested several years ago. A top 50 player was not "recruited" but came to UNC on a Morehead academic scholarship. He then walked onto the BB team and and played significant minutes. The other message board had quite a bit about the situation at the time.

My previous posts addressed the issue of recruited student athletes. Because of all the discussion about Sunday, it was most likely he was "recruited" by Wake thereby triggering all the NCUA rules. The other was how scholarship counting and restrictions apply when schools (Ivy League) don't give athletic scholarships.

UNC actually did what some here suggested several years ago. A top 50 player was not "recruited" but came to UNC on a Morehead academic scholarship. He then walked onto the BB team and and played significant minutes. The other message board had quite a bit about the situation at the time.

I am going to guess Sunday was promised McClinton's (or some other as of yet unknown transfer's) scholar when/if it becomes available.

I am going to guess Sunday was promised McClinton's (or some other as of yet unknown transfer's) scholar when/if it becomes available.

Nah I don't think this is true. We'll use it on a grad transfer if we can assuming the scholarship becomes available. If it works out like it has for TVH, then yeah he'll get it then.

We aren't mortgaging our future recruits to give one to Sunday unless he earns it later in his career.

Back