• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18 - Hoard, Mucius, Lewis, and Wright sign NLIs!

Wake watched Devon Dotson play Wesleyan tonight.

Dotson's team lost but he scored 38 points in front of our staff.

Last edited:
The isssue arose the year he entered UNC. The 1998- 1999 roster had 13 scholarship players on it. Carolina graduated two seniors that year. They added three players. The 1999-2000 roster had 17! players listed. They brought in Jon Holmes and Joseph Forte on BB scholarships and added Julius Peppers from the FB team (FB Scholarship) Two walk-ons and Johnson completed the 17.

Yes, Will Johnson was a smart guy and earned his Morehead fair and square. The fuss was about him being added to the UNC BB roster without him counting against the BB limit.

Academic scholarships for freshman may be exempted if the students meets one of the following conditions depending on the division:

Division 1

Top 10% of the high school graduating class
Achieve a cumulative high school GPA of at least 3.50
Score 1200 or higher on the SAT or ACT sum score of at least 105

I don't know if this rule was in effect at the time, but it could explain how Will Johnson was able to be on the team, but not violate the s scholarship cap.

BBall Recruiting Thread 2k18- Brown & Eggleston (& Okeke) are Deacs! Onward to 2018

I don't know if this rule was in effect at the time, but it could explain how Will Johnson was able to be on the team, but not violate the s scholarship cap.

Ha, this rule is hilarious, where did you find it? If any student is getting a merit-based full ride with less than a 3.5 and outside of the top 10%, that school should be ashamed. 1200 wasn't so hot on the SAT either. Or it's a bullshit scholarship.

Whats the deal with SJM this year? He red shirting? Injured? Or cant crack line up. I'm worried about rebounding...

Whats the deal with SJM this year? He red shirting? Injured? Or cant crack line up. I'm worried about rebounding...

What were you expecting?

It looks like Sam is trying to catch up with the speed and style of play. He hasn't played against much competition. It will take some time. But I really like his hands and his feet. He seems to have good court vision ass well.

Couple mins I guess. But I've never seen him play.

We're gonna need bodies. Thin down low.

Yeah I was hoping that SJM could be somewhat of a contributor this year too...He still could, but with the development of Collins/Dinos/Moore, we should be OK in the front court. Arians also has shown the ability to body up a couple of 4's, albeit against below average competition.

I wouldn't take it as a knock on SJM. Manning just needs to get our primary 8 all the practice he can considering 3 are sophomores (BC, Collins, Moore), one is a freshman (B-Chill), and 2 are transfers (Arians, Woods). We've got to get those guys ready for what will hopefully be a match up with Nova on Friday. I wouldn't expect to see SJM or Washington on the court unless it's necessary until later in the season.

As for rebounding, I think it will come as our defense begins to gel. It's usually a perk of playing man-to-man.

Last edited:
Moore barely played last year early and outside DT getting suspended, he might not have gotten bigger minutes late in the season either. I bet SJM works himself into some minutes later.

I think he got in already, but if not, he just played against UTEP. Had a nice turnover I believe?

You won't see much of SJM, Washington, or Mitchell this year. None of those three are ready to play high major basketball. Still not sure what Mitchell brings to the table down the road unless he becomes a REALLY good shooter. SJM and Wash should be pretty good rotation players by their junior year. Both have excellent upside, but SJM needs to slim down and get quicker, and Wash needs to bulk up and get stronger. Basically need a machine that will meld the two physiques together :).

You won't see much of SJM, Washington, or Mitchell this year. None of those three are ready to play high major basketball. Still not sure what Mitchell brings to the table down the road unless he becomes a REALLY good shooter. SJM and Wash should be pretty good rotation players by their junior year. Both have excellent upside, but SJM needs to slim down and get quicker, and Wash needs to bulk up and get stronger. Basically need a machine that will meld the two physiques together :).

I hope you are right. I will be fairly shocked if Washington contributes.

Watching Melo's video on BSD, I can't imagine how there are 100-120 players better than him. What I particularly like is how he gets himself into position to shoot and how he seems to always to be balanced. I understand we're only seeing the good stuff, but it looks second nature to him. He's going to be a good addition at SF. Where we really need a player.

I'd like to see us get another big.

Back