• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ten Years since 30-0!

stonevilleicetea

Reaction score
Best game of an incredible year

Got me banned from the old boards for a long time because I was drunk afterward and came posting a bunch of profanity directed at Corso and Herbstreit and the clowns running that board apparently had a problem with that

I watched the game in an FSU bar in Naples Florida, and taunted the noles fans the whole game - was amazing - especially because they all thought it was still going to be a cake walk. Never forget that.

Didn't relax until the clock hit 00:00. Couldn't believe it was really happening.

I was at the game. It was my first trip to Tallahassee. Just an amazing day all around.

Brent Musberger did that game for ABC. Always interested in the action, Musberger mentioned early on that the line was "only 8" (FSU was favored). As the game went on, became clear the Brent had the FSU side, and he was as shocked as anyone at WF's complete domination. Easy money.

Wake has not scored a TD in Tallahassee since that game. Fact.

(Although we also won on the leg of Swank in 2008).

Brent Musberger did that game for ABC. Always interested in the action, Musberger mentioned early on that the line was "only 8" (FSU was favored). As the game went on, became clear the Brent had the FSU side, and he was as shocked as anyone at WF's complete domination. Easy money.

Musberger knew absolutely nothing about Wake and towards the end of the game he had no material for the game. At least in my market, ESPN cut away from the game in the 4th quarter to cover another, more competitive game. I've never seen that before or since in a televised regular season football game and felt it was because Musberger wasn't able to call the game effectively at that point.

Great memory standing in the rain at Doak in our little corner of the stadium. Taunting the tomahawk chop to "Wake Forest". Great night!

Rolled the quad and then about 40 beers later, streaked the quad. It was incredible being a student that season.

When it became pretty obvious we were going to win, I started getting nervous about holding onto the shutout. I really wanted to hang the goose egg on them.

Me too!I finally realized during that game that we were for real that year.

Rolled the quad and then about 40 beers later, streaked the quad. It was incredible being a student that season.

It was a crazy year on campus for sure and did not help the substance habits.

Yeah, Brent kept building up Xavier Lee like when they brought him in it would change things and we proceeded to pick him off, lol.

We just had better teams during that 3 year run, I know non-Wake fans had a hard time with that, but we had better football players and better teams. FSU still had great athletes, but we had the better football players and teams.

What a day!
I still mention it frequently to my FSU friends.
Probably should mention it again today.
It won't even matter if we lose tomorrow.........they can never erase 'Wake 30 - FSU 0' in the annals of sports history.

I was laying on an ER gurney during that game (strangulated umbilical hernia) in considerable pain, even with some narcotic IV. When a close friend came in to tell me it was 20-0 at halftime, I figured I was dying and she was just trying to cheer me up in my last hours.

Last edited:
When it became pretty obvious we were going to win, I started getting nervous about holding onto the shutout. I really wanted to hang the goose egg on them.

This was me too. I think they almost had a safety or something and we managed to avoid it. Though 30-2 would have been fun in its own right. But the historic nature of the Bowden home shutout cannot be topped.

My ten year old son was just an infant during that season and that game in particular I remember walking a fine line between screaming in joy and not waking the baby up. He also was asleep on the couch with my exhausted wife during the ACC championship game and I cheered silently for that one too.

shoulda been worse to tell you the truth. I remember us having several red zone blunders that game

Back