• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016-17 Wake Forest Basketball Season

Wilbekin's brother is listed at exactly the same as Mitchell is on the Wake roster 6'2" 175 & he was an all American. Fact is he isn't that good at basketball.

People talk about wilbekin like he is a 5th year senior. I actually like his game as an acc 8th man. He can play both guard spots competently and shoots 3s at a good to very good %. He also has 2 years of eligibility left. A lot of coaches would kill for those assets w his game experience coming of the bench. I would.

This isn't fantasy hoops. You don't want tons of potential off the bench. You want known reliable skills.

Also, scottie wil averaged a whopping 2.5 pts a game in 15 minutes his first two years at Florida. Look it up. I don't think Mitchell is going to average 9 and 13 pts per game the next two years but around 7 or 8 would be fantastic off the bench. I also expect him to win a game or two w late 3s. He is going to have better looks w better shooters on the court w him.

I also think woods will have some foul trouble games early in our acc schedule as he gets used to guarding better talent. We will need mitch and are lucky to have him.

People talk about wilbekin like he is a 5th year senior. I actually like his game as an acc 8th man. He can play both guard spots competently and shoots 3s at a good to very good %. He also has 2 years of eligibility left. A lot of coaches would kill for those assets w his game experience coming of the bench. I would.

This isn't fantasy hoops. You don't want tons of potential off the bench. You want known reliable skills.

Defensively he is simply awful. What he gives on offense he gives up on defense.

the only thing better than rj talking about minute allocations is rj talking about estimated heights, and this thread already has both

good stuff

The one constant you see here and on the football thread is all the opinions of how awful our players are. Great encouragement coming from wannabes who never saw the field or court. Why not consider another approach? Now all you turds can pile on all over my comment.

Crawford was north of 40% for a good portion of last season before falling off at the end to a final of 35%. Definitely a threat, though sometimes he takes some ill advised ones. He took 15 more attempts than anyone on the team.

Defensively he is simply awful. What he gives on offense he gives up on defense.

I don't think he is awful. Semantics, but he is not good. As I said on the Bahamas thread - I like him in the game when Doral is on the floor and he can be more purposeful on guarding the 3 points line at the expense of allowing a contested drive to the basket.

I know I am way more positive in regards to McClinton and Wilbekin than most, perhaps all on here, but I think if we want to get to 18-19 wins this year, they both need to be ACC caliber players. They are both experienced. Anything we get from Wash and the frosh Donovan Mitchell in ACC play will be unexpected.

I still think, despite this conversation, the key to the year is Doral Moore. Can he play 20 minutes a game? Can he stay out of foul trouble? Can he anchor a defense? If he can do that in ACC play, then look out, because we are going to have horses this year in Crawford and Collins, and shooters in Woods, Arians, and hopefully Dinos, Wilbekin, and Brandon.

It is interior defense that will make us. If we are going to play man-to-man and I expect that we are, then I don't think a foul friendly Collins can be counted on to be that force in the middle, nor do I want him in that role. I don't think it is hi strength. Doral is the guy. And maybe Sam can be that guy in a lesser role though he seems more gravity effected than Doral.

But I'm excited to see it all play out. Our first 8 this year all come in with at least one year of Div 1 experience and our only "hot head" player is Crawford, who I think maybe got one or two techs last year tops.

I agree that Moore is going to be central to this team's success. We're a better shooting team than any in recent Wake memory. How we defend will be key, and I think Moore has it in him to be a really good rim protecting type guy, and grab good boards too.

We are not going to be good. The fact that you are hoping that Wilbekin and McClinton will miraculously turn into ACC-level players in your fantasy of us winning 18-19 games is proof positive of that point.

ETA- rim protection is great. But defending the 3pt line is just as important, and we don't have anybody who is particularly good at guarding in space.

I don't think statistics back this up.

Spot up not on the move/pull up shots.

BTW, his overall three point shooting was 34.8%. He took a number of end clock threes that would impact that number.

As Ish said, Bryant was at 40% before hitting the freshman wall.

But since I said it, Townie had a Pavlovian response.

I don't think he is awful. Semantics, but he is not good. As I said on the Bahamas thread - I like him in the game when Doral is on the floor and he can be more purposeful on guarding the 3 points line at the expense of allowing a contested drive to the basket.

I know I am way more positive in regards to McClinton and Wilbekin than most, perhaps all on here, but I think if we want to get to 18-19 wins this year, they both need to be ACC caliber players. They are both experienced. Anything we get from Wash and the frosh Donovan Mitchell in ACC play will be unexpected.

I still think, despite this conversation, the key to the year is Doral Moore. Can he play 20 minutes a game? Can he stay out of foul trouble? Can he anchor a defense? If he can do that in ACC play, then look out, because we are going to have horses this year in Crawford and Collins, and shooters in Woods, Arians, and hopefully Dinos, Wilbekin, and Brandon.

It is interior defense that will make us. If we are going to play man-to-man and I expect that we are, then I don't think a foul friendly Collins can be counted on to be that force in the middle, nor do I want him in that role. I don't think it is hi strength. Doral is the guy. And maybe Sam can be that guy in a lesser role though he seems more gravity effected than Doral.

But I'm excited to see it all play out. Our first 8 this year all come in with at least one year of Div 1 experience and our only "hot head" player is Crawford, who I think maybe got one or two techs last year tops.

Wilbekin is in the correct position on D more often than almost anyone on our team. The problem is he's too small and too slow.

McClinton is the opposite. he gets lost all the time on D. We can't have him in the game with either JC or Doral as McClniton's man never has to leave the lane. Greg can't make a shot more than 7' from the hoop. The only possible reason to leave the lane is if Greg is used in PNR. Given that he can't pick and pop, there's no reason to use him in PNR.

We are not going to be good. The fact that you are hoping that Wilbekin and McClinton will miraculously turn into ACC-level players in your fantasy of us winning 18-19 games is proof positive of that point.

ETA- rim protection is great. But defending the 3pt line is just as important, and we don't have anybody who is particularly good at guarding in space.

yep

But it goes in.

Yo show what Ish was saying, going into the last seven games of the season, Bryant was shooting 40.9% on threes.

You're so right the #hothand doesn't exist...and the Earth is 6000 years old and flat.

I think Craw is fine as an open, spot up guy. Not too different from Teague in that regard. Don't want him trying to pull up on the dribble and shoot tough 3's.

Doesn't Strick usually have good next level shooting stats for college? Wonder what the splits are on Crawford. Feel like he wasn't as good a finisher in the lane as you'd expect.

I think Craw is fine as an open, spot up guy. Not too different from Teague in that regard. Don't want him trying to pull up on the dribble and shoot tough 3's.

Doesn't Strick usually have good next level shooting stats for college? Wonder what the splits are on Crawford. Feel like he wasn't as good a finisher in the lane as you'd expect.

Exactly! This is why I like the idea of him playing off the ball with Lil Chill.

Back