• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2016-17 Wake Forest Basketball Season

The one constant you see here and on the football thread is all the opinions of how awful our players are. Great encouragement coming from wannabes who never saw the field or court. Why not consider another approach? Now all you turds can pile on all over my comment.

FYI on the other board all of our players are all Americans and we never lose a game. Check it out.

We are not going to be good. The fact that you are hoping that Wilbekin and McClinton will miraculously turn into ACC-level players in your fantasy of us winning 18-19 games is proof positive of that point.

ETA- rim protection is great. But defending the 3pt line is just as important, and we don't have anybody who is particularly good at guarding in space.

When Devin and Dinos are your rim protectors, you play defensive differently than when Doral Moore is back there. You can guard space at the expense of giving up a contested drive with Moore in.

Last edited:
Crawford was north of 40% for a good portion of last season before falling off at the end to a final of 35%. Definitely a threat, though sometimes he takes some ill advised ones. He took 15 more attempts than anyone on the team.

Right - he went 6/31 from deep in our last 4 games and was just south of 40% prior to that. Basically he was tracking Teague numbers pretty much across the board but with more assists.

Tend to agree with Sig here - if we end up relying on Wilbekin and McClinton for significant minutes we're not going to be good. The path to being a bubble team starts with Woods opening up the floor for Crawford, requires Dinos to put up a lot more performances like freshman-year Syracuse or last year's NC State game, and also needs someone out of the Moore/Collins/Arians group to significantly beat out expectations.

I probably think the above scenario is decently likely - but then again I'm an optimist. Bottom line is we still lost 2 of our top 3 scorers and almost 40% of our average rebounds per game off a squad that won 2 ACC games all year. The Teague/Johnson group didn't win 18 games as freshmen...

So are DickWash and DomItch both long-term projects playing the same position? What is the point of that - hope one of the two works out and tie up a scholly for a few years figuring out which one?

I think Wash is more of a 2/3 and Mitchell is more of a 3/4.

Matt Norlander at CBS ranked every team in CBB. http://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...-sports-1-351-college-basketball-rankings/101.

101. Wake Forest

Will Danny Manning figure it out this season? Bryant Crawford is getting real looks from NBA scouts, but the ACC is so loaded that Wake has almost no chance of breaking through the top eight teams in the league. This was an 11-20 group last season that still has to grow into its clothing, if you will.

He really thinks the ACC is loaded for 2016-17. Three teams in his top 10, Five in his top 25, and four more in the next 15. So more than half ACC teams are in the top 40 nationally. Wow!

But it goes in.

Yo show what Ish was saying, going into the last seven games of the season, Bryant was shooting 40.9% on threes.

Possibly a regression to the mean, which is the concern.

My gut says Bryant shoots below 35% on the year from 3. Obvi hope to be wrong.

Last edited:
Bottom line is this... We have two players with at least borderline All-ACC ability (Crawford and Collins). We have one player who has shown the ability to put up ACC-quality numbers (freshman-year Dinos, but with terrible defense). We have one player with tremendous physical attributes and potential (Moore). Those four players combine to create a really solid core - at least potentially. If you assume that Crawford and Collins have gotten stronger and improved, if you assume Dinos will be healthy and can improve on his freshman-level performance, and if you assume that Moore has improved his stamina and learned a little bit - that gives us a really good start.
Then all we need is for two of Arians and Woods and Lil Chill and Wilbekin to consistently make open shots, McClinton to play defense and get some garbage buckets and boards and SJM to learn and spell Moore and Collins in the post.
I believe that there is potential here for us to surprise some people.

We definitely have some talent, but some deficiencies as well. This is the type of team where coaching will make all the difference. An elite coach could probably find ways to cover up our weaknesses, squeeze the most out of our roster, and contend for an NCAA birth. A below average coach would take the same roster and go 5-13 in the ACC. The jury is very much still out on Danny so this is a great opportunity for him to prove himself.

We don't NEED Wilbekin, McClinton, Wash, or Mitchell to be ACC level players. We need Manning to get comfortable with a short rotation and hiding players at SF. Crawford, Woods, and Childress can handle PG and SF and a three guard set. Arians played over 30 min/game his last two seasons. He can do it again. Fill in the rest of them in spot minutes at SG and SF.

We don't NEED Wilbekin, McClinton, Wash, or Mitchell to be ACC level players. We need Manning to get comfortable with a short rotation and hiding players at SF. Crawford, Woods, and Childress can handle PG and SF and a three guard set. Arians played over 30 min/game his last two seasons. He can do it again. Fill in the rest of them in spot minutes at SG and SF.

Maybe a little too much faith in Austin Arians. He did get significant minutes at UW-Milwaukee, but that was at UW-Milwaukee (#168 and #114 in the two years he played big minutes). Like his ability to hit perimeter shots, but almost everyone on WF's roster would've played big minutes at UW-Milwaukee.

Sure. But not at SF. Who else can Manning trust to play 15+ minutes at SF?

I don't think we'll see mCclinton get any meaningful minutes. He just doesn't move well enough to be a d stopper and doesn't bring much on offense. I'd guess he graduates / transfers and we take another 5 year guy (point guard maybe?)

Strickland sent me some numbers, and I looked at some too, and rj is essentially right. Crawford is a middling shooter overall, but he's good when he's open and good when he's spotting up. His original analysis was definitely on point. My b, calling him out. I think it had to do with #eyetest.

Buzz Williams takes teams like ours and has them punching above their weight class. I am curious if we can see the same from Danny and staff. Danny going to get 5 years at least, esp with recruiting paying off with Chaundee and hope that continues.

Strickland sent me some numbers, and I looked at some too, and rj is essentially right. Crawford is a middling shooter overall, but he's good when he's open and good when he's spotting up. His original analysis was definitely on point. My b, calling him out. I think it had to do with #eyetest.

Thanks, but take a look at his numbers before hitting the freshman wall. He was at 40.9% overall from three overall in his first 24 games.

Given that he was not only the PG but the #2 scorer, it is quite understandable that he ran out of gas physically and mentally late in the season. With experience and much more help with shooting, his numbers should improve in many aspects.

I think McClinton will surprise as a rebounder and defender this season, but especially as a rebounder.

Hopefully Crawford can relax and not feel pressured to make all the big plays on offense. Also, I hope we can find someone who can coach consistent free throw shooting. The foul line costs us big time last season.

In the past, WF has played "secret" scrimmages against VCU and S. Carolina among others around this time. Any word on if, who and when WF will play secret scrimmages this October?

Back