• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Quarterback

He started 3 games. I had forgotten about him. But now that you mention it, he's a good comp for Wolford.

He started 3 games. I had forgotten about him. But now that you mention it, he's a good comp for Wolford.

Wolford is way better than Stachitas, and I don't think it's close

wolford stinks. hinton is better but he's not very good either. qb play has consistently been our biggest weakness under clawson. mystery to me why we haven't pursued a transfer qb (post grad or otherwise)

realistically even hinton is probably a bottom two or three acc qb

Last edited:
We've certainly had way worse backup QBs in recent years--we should be thankful we have a backup that can actually win us some games as opposed to a Ryan McManus

That's not really fair--McManus was like fourth string most of his career at Wake.

Wolford and Hinton are too small. Wolford throws a good ball but even when protected with a good paocket he has trouble seeing over the line. He is a great small college QB playing a level too high. Hinton probably also.

Hard to blame Wolford when our offensive plan was so vanilla and predictable. EVERY single run play was up the middle. Once they got us into obvious passing downs they all out blitzed. Wolford hung in their and was practically jumping up to throw over the lineman. Even when the pocket holds up a bit and he steps forward, he is too small to have enough vision and/or the lane to throw accurately. I counted maybe 2 designed roll-outs. One throw to the RB. That offense will work against inferior teams or Syracuse in the rain, but not against the FSU's of the world. Our coaches have to do a little more to keep them off balance. Is there a team with a more limited offense?

Wolford is now 8 on the WFU all time passing yards list. Next up Rusty Larue and Jay Venuto.

That said just for fun:

Norm Snead
Skinner
Venuto/Elkins/Schofield

Kuklick
Macpherson
Price
Larue

Cory Randolph
Brett Hodges/Mauk
Hinton
Anthony Young

Wolford
Stachitas

Alphonso Smith
Direct snap to Kenny Moore

McManus
Direct snap to Bus Bryant against Clemson in our game of the century

wolford stinks. hinton is better but he's not very good either. qb play has consistently been our biggest weakness under clawson. mystery to me why we haven't pursued a transfer qb (post grad or otherwise)

realistically even hinton is probably a bottom two or three acc qb

Wolford was very very good at Indiana. He ran the ball well and threw the ball well. Same last week against Syracuse. We have to give him time, just like any QB to be good--Hinton or Wolford!

Wolford was very very good at Indiana. He ran the ball well and threw the ball well. Same last week against Syracuse. We have to give him time, just like any QB to be good--Hinton or Wolford!

He's a junior. He's started more than 25 games. He's attempted over 700 passes. His TD/INT ratio is 27/24. I realize we don't really have a better option (particularly with Hinton hurt) but giving him "time" is not going solve the problem.

I mean he was our backup QB for the Miami game. And was a major reason why we lost it

I can't remember. But cool, one game doesn't make McManus a "backup quarterback". He was a scout team man from day one who was at Wake to sharpen his knowledge of the game and go into coaching like his dad.

Generally speaking he is just ok and we need better than that. My main problem is that in every game he makes at least two bad decisions that result in turnovers at the worst times or at the worst place on the field. These bad decisions have cost us several football games. Also for FSU Hinton would certainly have given us another dimension and possibly a run game.

I can't remember. But cool, one game doesn't make McManus a "backup quarterback". He was a scout team man from day one who was at Wake to sharpen his knowledge of the game and go into coaching like his dad.

I mean he was the guy we turned to on at least on occasion when our starter got hurt and the game was on the line. And I'm sure that wasn't the only game that he was #2 on the depth chart.

But anyway, you're missing the point. We have a backup QB that can win us games against decent opponents. When's the last time we had that (whether it was McManus, Stachitas, Skylar Jones, etc.)?

Just to clarify a bit more, he (Stachitas) was the starter and when he lost his job it was due to injury.

Last edited:
The kid has hit his ceiling. As others stated. He ain't getting any taller. His arm is decent but he also telegraphs almost every pass over the middle. He gets happy feet when the ball is snapped.

He's simply not the caliber QB to get Wake to the next level. I honestly believe we could have won the FSU game yesterday with a Riley Skinner caliber QB.
I understand our OL is suspect and we have some marginal receivers. But, sometimes, a top-shelf QB has to put a team on his back and go out and win a game in the team huddle and with his arm.
Will the team to a victory.

It's just not there with Wolford. And if Hinton continues to remain injury-prone, Clawson needs to seriously assess the QB position for the very near future.

^^ Yes, WF has a back up QB -- Kyle Kearns -- who was not substituted for Wolford at FSU. If the 2 INTs had been totally due to QB error by Wolford then maybe Kearns would have entered the game? Only at WF do some subscribe to the notion that a red shirt Freshman such as Kearns would only be asked to play in an FSU type game due to injury to starting QB and never due to poor performance by starting QB.

The kid has hit his ceiling. As others stated. He ain't getting any taller. His arm is decent but he also telegraphs almost every pass over the middle. He gets happy feet when the ball is snapped.

He's simply not the caliber QB to get Wake to the next level. I honestly believe we could have won the FSU game yesterday with a Riley Skinner caliber QB.
I understand our OL is suspect and we have some marginal receivers. But, sometimes, a top-shelf QB has to put a team on his back and go out and win a game in the team huddle and with his arm.
Will the team to a victory.

It's just not there with Wolford. And if Hinton continues to remain injury-prone, Clawson needs to seriously assess the QB position for the very near future.

Too bad hinton couldn't go against State and FSU. Not saying we would win either, but I think we would've put a better scare in both of them. Even when hinton plays the defense seems to play better for some reason. i guess his presence energizes them.

Back