• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Quarterback

I mean he was the guy we turned to on at least on occasion when our starter got hurt and the game was on the line. And I'm sure that wasn't the only game that he was #2 on the depth chart.

But anyway, you're missing the point. We have a backup QB that can win us games against decent opponents. When's the last time we had that (whether it was McManus, Stachitas, Skylar Jones, etc.)?

I'm not missing the point. I agree with you. Just pointing out that McManus was never, under any circumstances, recruited to be a backup. He was literally, I think, a walk-on. If he ended up there it was because of terrible, unexpected, unprecedented injuries. McManus was at least fourth on the depth chart his sophomore year behind Zack McDowell, Riley Skinner, and Brett Hodges.

The kid has hit his ceiling. As others stated. He ain't getting any taller. His arm is decent but he also telegraphs almost every pass over the middle. He gets happy feet when the ball is snapped.

He's simply not the caliber QB to get Wake to the next level. I honestly believe we could have won the FSU game yesterday with a Riley Skinner caliber QB.
I understand our OL is suspect and we have some marginal receivers. But, sometimes, a top-shelf QB has to put a team on his back and go out and win a game in the team huddle and with his arm.
Will the team to a victory.

It's just not there with Wolford. And if Hinton continues to remain injury-prone, Clawson needs to seriously assess the QB position for the very near future.

Dude, we literally have four QBs in the pipeline right now. Newman is redshirting, Powell and Bowers are in the 2017 class, and Hartman is in the 2018 class.

Dude, we literally have four QBs in the pipeline right now. Newman is redshirting, Powell and Bowers are in the 2017 class, and Hartman is in the 2018 class.

Thanks, dude. How did what I say have anything to do with pipelines or the lack thereof? I'll help you. NOTHING. Please read carefully. I stated that Clawson will need to "seriously assess" how he handles the QB position in the near future.
And, very near future means the remainder of this season as well. Promising 2017 and '18 freshmen are great. That's not going to solve the problems we face in two weeks against Army, BC, Clemson and UVA. Now is it, dude?

So Kearns over Wolford next time Hinton gets injured? I don't agree, not that I've ever seen Kearns. But Clawson has.

Thanks, dude. How did what I say have anything to do with pipelines or the lack thereof? I'll help you. NOTHING. Please read carefully. I stated that Clawson will need to "seriously assess" how he handles the QB position in the near future.
And, very near future means the remainder of this season as well. Promising 2017 and '18 freshmen are great. That's not going to solve the problems we face in two weeks against Army, BC, Clemson and UVA. Now is it, dude?

What's there to assess? Hinton will come back from injury and should start.

The kid has hit his ceiling. As others stated. He ain't getting any taller. His arm is decent but he also telegraphs almost every pass over the middle. He gets happy feet when the ball is snapped.

He's simply not the caliber QB to get Wake to the next level. I honestly believe we could have won the FSU game yesterday with a Riley Skinner caliber QB.
I understand our OL is suspect and we have some marginal receivers. But, sometimes, a top-shelf QB has to put a team on his back and go out and win a game in the team huddle and with his arm.
Will the team to a victory.

It's just not there with Wolford. And if Hinton continues to remain injury-prone, Clawson needs to seriously assess the QB position for the very near future.

Wait, so Wolford (and maybe Hinton) aren't as good as the most accomplished quarterback ever to play at Wake Forest? Big if true. Time to tear everything up and go back to the drawing board

I agree. I don't think there is any disagreement about that.

But if Hinton is not ready to start against Army, does anyone think that Kearns should start ahead of Wolford? I would be shocked to see that happen. Not because I don't think Kearns is a potentially good QB, but because I think we would risk losing a very winnable game by unnecessarily starting a very inexperienced QB ahead of one with lots of experience. Yet some posters seem to be suggesting that we should start Kearns (not you PhD).

Wolford had a bad game against FSU, but so did a number of other players on the offense. Should we replace all of them too with redshirt freshmen with little or no game experience?

There is a reason Kearns is third string.

People who think Kearns is the solution are fairly dumb. Get Hinton healthy and let things go from there.

No way you replace Wolford with an untested Kearns after he went 2-2 and was respectable in the Indiana-FSU part of the schedule.

Honestly, I think part of the problem with Kearns playing much right now is the direction we're going to go with our offense. From what we've been fed, Kearns is a pocket passer and the offense would need to be changed up a bit if he were to get the reigns at some point during his career. We've got 4 quarterbacks right now that seem to have a legitimate shot to figure into things beyond this season (Hinton, Wolford, Kearns and Newman) and 3 (Hinton, Wolford and Newman) of them seem to fit the offense (to varying degrees) the offense we're running currently, with the zone read stuff and the QB running being a significant part of it. Depending on Newman's development and how he ends up figuring into the depth chart next year, could make Kearns an odd man out?

Wolford is an ideal #2 QB especially backing up an oft injured Hinton who runs a lot when he plays.

He doesn't get rattled. No game outside maybe playing in Ann Arbor which is not going to happen is too big for him at this stage in his career. And he's a good soldier. He's not going to sulk as the #2 and I think in his heart of hearts, probably knows his ceiling. In fact, would not be surprised if he's got eyes on a coaching job after playing.

You run the risk of losing Kearns to transfer, but Clawson likely knew that when he recruited and offered both Hinton and Kearns. My guess is that Hinton has been a pleasant surprise to him as I doubt he thought he'd be ahead of both Kearns and Wolford after a year and a half. Of the 3, Hinton is most likely to have been able to play a different position. But regardless, Hinton is the clear #1 and Wolford is the clear #2 and that likely is not going to change for the next year and a half.

Kearns seems to have been a good soldier at this stage too. Transferring would mean sitting out another year on top of this one. He might as well wait until he graduates at this point. He could potentially have two years of immediate eligibility and a Wake degree which would seem to benefit us both.

Hinton was Clawson's primary recruiting target and a well regarded recruit. Kearns was a late pick up who if I remember correctly he was the odd man out in some west coast recruiting battles.

Put the OL in a three point stance to make it look like we are running the ball, and the play action will be more effective. In a two point stance, the DL will just drive our linemen into the backfield without caring what the QB is doing. None of Wake's QBs can have a good game with a bad game plan.

One of my favorite message board things is when people think that they know better than the coaches whether some backup that they've never seen play in a real game should play.

Put the OL in a three point stance to make it look like we are running the ball, and the play action will be more effective. In a two point stance, the DL will just drive our linemen into the backfield without caring what the QB is doing. None of Wake's QBs can have a good game with a bad game plan.

Spoken like a true lineman
+1

Newman is the guy I'm excited to see. He seems to have the build and skills to fit this offense.

One of my favorite message board things is when people think that they know better than the coaches whether some backup that they've never seen play in a real game should play.

Everybody loves the backup QB, particularly if he has not had any or much game action. Have no doubt that Clawson will play whomever gives WF best chance to win... The staff knows that the a good record this season is key to build momentum in the program.

Also, without a transfer or de-commitment, WF will have 6 scholarship QBs on the roster next year, which is unusually high. Because generally only one QB plays at a time and because it's kind of a diva position, QB have the highest transfer rate of any position. Then again, if all of the QB like WF, like the program, maybe WF will play with 6 scholly-ed QBs next year.

Only problem we have with Wolford is we don't run him near enough cuz coach is afraid he's gonna get hurt. If you want db's to lay off the receivers you need to let Wolford gouge them more and then burn them. He need to run it a lot more.

You have to realize that against FSU we deliberately avoided running to the perimeter due to their team speed. Sometimes an absence of a certain play(s) isn't due to coaching incompetence but due to essential strategy given our team's limitations.

You have to realize that against FSU we deliberately avoided running to the perimeter due to their team speed. Sometimes an absence of a certain play(s) isn't due to coaching incompetence but due to essential strategy given our team's limitations.

Yeah, but it's more of an absence of the past 2+ years as it is an absence just against FSU.

Back