• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WFU Quarterback

Most teams use bubble screens etc. to get to the perimeter. I can't say whether throwing it outside or running it outside is the better strategy. Listening to Clawson talk I'm inclined to believe his assessments of strategy rather than armchair QBs.

Most teams use bubble screens etc. to get to the perimeter. I can't say whether throwing it outside or running it outside is the better strategy. Listening to Clawson talk I'm inclined to believe his assessments of strategy rather than armchair QBs.

Well, I trust Clawson too, but I think in year 3 of Clawson our team speed is on par with most of the Grobe teams and it seemed like we were able to use sweeps and reverses effectively during most of those years and maybe even more importantly defenses had to honor the fakes. We bring guys in motion, but we never run the jet sweep and we don't fake it either. Running the sweep every once in awhile and faking it several times a game should help to open up the middle where we obviously like to run.

I agree, we're not going to make a living running outside much against FSU or anybody else, but it's also hard to make a living if the defense knows we're running up the middle and they don't have to honor anything on the outside.

Well, I trust Clawson too, but I think in year 3 of Clawson our team speed is on par with most of the Grobe teams and it seemed like we were able to use sweeps and reverses effectively during most of those years and maybe even more importantly defenses had to honor the fakes. We bring guys in motion, but we never run the jet sweep and we don't fake it either. Running the sweep every once in awhile and faking it several times a game should help to open up the middle where we obviously like to run.

I agree, we're not going to make a living running outside much against FSU or anybody else, but it's also hard to make a living if the defense knows we're running up the middle and they don't have to honor anything on the outside.

Yep. Remember when our orbit motion and misdirection plays were a "revolutionary" new offense? There's no reason why they wouldn't still work on occasion, especially against overly aggressive defenses (like FSU).

Yep. Remember when our orbit motion and misdirection plays were a "revolutionary" new offense? There's no reason why they wouldn't still work on occasion, especially against overly aggressive defenses (like FSU).

I go back to the first quarter drive against Syracuse, 1st and goal from the 2 and Syracase packs everybody in the box knowing we aren't going to try anything on the outside. I would've loved to have seen a jet sweep with Hines or Ward on 2nd down. May or may not have worked, but I would've like to have seen that instead of running it up the middle 4 times.

This works better when the snap is taken under center. The QB can turn his back to the defense, and they can't see what he's doing with the ball. From the pistol, everything is out in the open. I don't know whether Claw is stubborn or he knows of limitations that we don't. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

This works better when the snap is taken under center. The QB can turn his back to the defense, and they can't see what he's doing with the ball. From the pistol, everything is out in the open. I don't know whether Claw is stubborn or he knows of limitations that we don't. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Calhoun ran orbit exclusively out of the shotgun.

These guys could really fly:

Fabian Davis - good football speed, unsure if he was a sprinter
Kevin Marion
Willie Idelette
Chris Givens

Maybe Hines, but I don't think we have that speed at WR.

Chris Davis could fly too. Parlayed that into a couple of years in the league too, iirc.

Just looked it up. 1 year in the league, 1 career catch for 3 yards. I thought he had a little more success than that.

Chris Davis could fly too. Parlayed that into a couple of years in the league too, iirc.

Charmin soft. I don't know if I've ever seen a player step out 1 yard shy of a first down to avoid getting hit more often than him.

Last edited:
Calhoun was under center for the orbit motion. He used to get in the shotgun to throw the ball or run draws. That scheme was really good. He did a clinic in Jacksonville that was impressive.

Charming soft. I don't know if I've ever seen a player step out 1 yard shy of a first down to avoid getting hit more often than him.

Oh for sure. He made Ted Ginn look like Hines Ward.

Other than perhaps Hines, who has good speed among the backs and receivers?

Edit - I see Complacent already covered this.

No he didn't, we ran it out if the I-formation quite a bit. The FB dive was a crucial part of the misdirection.

Reading this thread, I was inspired to look up some past Wake plays and discovered that Steed Lobotzke has his own YouTube channel with a ton of old Wake Forest offensive plays organized by type and year, although mostly from 2011 and 2013. Here's his video for all Wake orbit sweep plays from 2002.

https://youtu.be/Wh8NtNQtzHY

As a change of pace look, would love to see the orbital-I formation with Cam at fullback...

Cade is built to make a serviceable fullback for a few plays a game.

That hit he made after the int showed he was raised by a former defensive lineman.

Back