• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FSU Game Review / Bye Week and Army Game Thread

Deac94

Reaction score
FSU GAME REVIEW

Wake Forest won the turnover battle (4-3) and either matched, or came close to matching, Florida State in a number of other categories like explosive plays (tied 4-4), positive rushing yards (FSUs advantage was only 164-129) and penalties (Wake had 5 to FSUs 4).

The deciding factors were:
#1 – Wake’s inability to move the ball through the air. FSU had 11 receptions of ten yards or more. Going into the last minute of the game, when the game was effectively over, Wake had completed just four passes of ten yards or more. Wolford was 3-for-4 in the first nine minutes of the first quarter, and was 3-for-6 in garbage time (the final minute of the game). In the 50 minutes in between, he was just 10-for-24 for 123 yards and 2 INTs.

#2 – Red zone efficiency. FSU had 3 red zone opportunities and came away with two touchdowns and a field goal. Wake also had 3 red zone opportunities, but came away with only two field goals.

#3 – The botched punt that led directly to FSU’s first touchdown.

#4 – The kickoff return touchdown that wasn’t. I’m eager to hear what others saw on this play. First of all, I think they made a mistake by identifying #32 (Argenzio) as the player guilty of the hold when I believe they really flagged #23 (Strnad). But I don’t think that Strnad was holding either. From behind, the FSU player blocked by Strnad reacts like he was being held, but another replay angle appeared to show the FSU player simply lost his balance when he tried to change direction to make a play on Armstrong. Did others find a hold on that play?

OTHER STATS

Total Yards - Offense: 252 (worst output other than Tulane)

FSU’s Total Yards: 442 (only Indiana and NCSU gained more yards)

% of RB carries that were 3 yards or more: 63% (best result this season)

Disruptive plays by the DL: 3.5 (third worst this season)

WAKE’S EXPLOSIVE PLAYS
Wolford to Cortez Lewis for receptions of 32, 31 and 21 yards
Wolford to Tabari Hines for 20 yards (in garbage time)

FSUs DEFENSE

FSUs defense used some aggressive formations on first and second down. Like Tulane, FSU opted for only a single high safety on early downs. This, combined with the CBs in tight press coverage, is technically the same “Cover-1” (I think) that Tulane played. However, FSU often lined up with either a five man front or a six man front. In addition to pressuring the QB, having so many players on the line of scrimmage appeared to be designed to take away the running lanes, frustrate the read option, and put traffic into the sight lines of Wake’s undersized QB.

PASS TARGETS

Here is how Wolford spread the ball around with Cam Serigne unable to play:

Cortez Lewis: 6 receptions on 11 targets
Tabari Hines: 4 receptions on 8 targets
Chuck Wade: 3 receptions on 4 targets
Scotty Washington: 0 receptions on 3 targets
Pike and Claude had two pass targets apiece.
Carney, Bachman and Freudenthal each had one pass target.

OTHER NOTES

Essang Bassey was the surprise starter at corner when Amari Henderson had to sit out with injury. I didn’t see Dionte Austin until Bassey had to briefly leave the field with an injury.

Preferred walk-on Dayton Diemel replaced Garrett Wilson as the long snapper part way through the game.

Tyler Bell is again becoming a presence on passing downs. When Cade Carney is in the game, there is a good chance it’s a run play. When Tyler Bell is in the game, there is a good chance that it is a pass play.

Duke Ejiofor had another really good game. Next to the Duke game, this might have been his best.

The first fumble that Wake forced was a terrific open field play by Josh Banks.

Wolford’s second INT came on a pass to Scotty Washington that was underthrown. I checked to see if Wolford’s arm was hit on the play. I don’t think that it was, but I do think that he altered his throwing motion because of the pass pressure.

"Tyler Bell is again becoming a presence on passing downs. When Cade Carney is in the game, there is a good chance it’s a run play. When Tyler Bell is in the game, there is a good chance that it is a pass play."

Seems sub-optimal. Is Carney not a good blocker despite his size?

Yeah, I looked at Argenzio on the replay of the kickoff return called back and I thought they couldn't have called it on him. I wouldn't doubt a bit that #23 wasn't holding either because surely the refs were thinking Wake Forest can't have someone fast enough to take a kickoff to the house against FSU, so somebody had to be holding....:rolleyes:

I didn't watch the replay, but live, Huard and the other dude seemed to think the hold was pretty obvious. Then again, it's Brock Huard.

I didn't watch the replay, but live, Huard and the other dude seemed to think the hold was pretty obvious. Then again, it's Brock Huard.

Well, I wasn't looking for #23 on the replay, so it may have been a perfectly legit call, but in the least the ref gave the wrong number.

At least the return spooked FSU into giving us touchbacks instead of popping up kickoffs.

I don't think I have every seen a qb play more hurt - at least in college - that Francois. Does their 2nd stringer suck that bad? I mean, he was going down and grabbing his shoulder on a shove. The throws themselves were hurting him.

What was Cook's injury in the first half? Shoulder? Thumb? Head?

Couple of dumb mistakes/bad calls and this game would have been really really interesting in the 4th quarter, notably as mentioned the kickoff return and the bad snap on the punt.

At least the return spooked FSU into giving us touchbacks instead of popping up kickoffs.

Yeah, I was watching the game with my Pop and I told him, at least that will stop them from kicking it short thinking they can tackle us inside the 25.

I don't think I have every seen a qb play more hurt - at least in college - that Francois. Does their 2nd stringer suck that bad? I mean, he was going down and grabbing his shoulder on a shove. The throws themselves were hurting him.

What was Cook's injury in the first half? Shoulder? Thumb? Head?

Couple of dumb mistakes/bad calls and this game would have been really really interesting in the 4th quarter, notably as mentioned the kickoff return and the bad snap on the punt.

Yeah, but he was still throwing some ropes and on the hail mary, he threw it what about 60 yards in the air. I think the shoulder, while I'm sure it hurt, wasn't effecting his throws all that much.

He's going to be a very good college QB. He probably needs three years on the field though.

Jimbo Fisher talks like he is in a hurry to go take a shit. Really really fast.

Got to give it to that Wake football team. they are really really good. especially on defense. Now, if you will excuse me, I think I'm about to shit my pants.

I wish Banks would have been able to take the fumble all the way back. Heck of a play still.

I wish Banks would have been able to take the fumble all the way back. Heck of a play still.

I know, I wish we could've blocked Cook, he was the only one that could've caught Bank or if Banks could've handed it to Bates or Watson or somebody with more speed. We were basically one penalty (hold on the kickoff return) and one tackler (Cook on the Banks fumble return) from scoring 2 non-offensive touchdowns, which would've won us the game all else being equal.

I've complained a bunch about our passing scheme but another reason it's a problem is that we don't run guys with quick routes that are effective against the blitz. FSU didn't try to disguise it but Wolford was still launching balls to the sideline when blitzed. The one he lobbed up to Lewis in the end zone when the CB showed blitz early should have been a free TD.

"Tyler Bell is again becoming a presence on passing downs. When Cade Carney is in the game, there is a good chance it’s a run play. When Tyler Bell is in the game, there is a good chance that it is a pass play."

Seems sub-optimal. Is Carney not a good blocker despite his size?

He appears to be a good tackler, at least based on that INT return. He blew that guy up with some anger.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not implying we have the talent FSU does, however to me the biggest difference in the game Saturday was the O-line. Our O-line is much improved this year, no doubt and they deserve a lot of credit. However, I thought we held our own in the skill positions and our d-line held their own against FSU's O-line. Our receivers won some one on one matchups, our secondary played pretty soft but held up pretty well, we had the kickoff return although called back Armstrong outran their coverage team, and Bates had a really good punt return. So, it was encouraging to me that the athletic gap didn't seem to be all that wide. The biggest thing other than FSU having #4, was our O-line still is not good enough to hold up against a big athletic front like an FSU or Clemson or even State.

I've complained a bunch about our passing scheme but another reason it's a problem is that we don't run guys with quick routes that are effective against the blitz. FSU didn't try to disguise it but Wolford was still launching balls to the sideline when blitzed. The one he lobbed up to Lewis in the end zone when the CB showed blitz early should have been a free TD.

I think some of that is a height issue and an inability to get Wolford the passing lanes he needs to see he middle of the field. Rolling him out wouldn't necessarily help either because it cuts off one part of the field and allows the rushers to pursue.

Did we run outside the tackles once all game? I can't remember a single time. Jet sweeps or misdirection/counter plays would be much appreciated, rather than the 2 second delayed zone read...

Did we run outside the tackles once all game? I can't remember a single time. Jet sweeps or misdirection/counter plays would be much appreciated, rather than the 2 second delayed zone read...

Have we ran a play to a running back intended to go outside the tackles all year? I completely agree with the jet sweep, we need to be running that a couple times a game and faking it several times a game. The series where we had first and goal from 2 and didn't score against Syracuse would've been a great time to try a jet sweep or at least fake it. I think Wade or Hines or even Claude would be effective in the jet sweep.

Back