• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FSU Game Review / Bye Week and Army Game Thread

I hate calling out individual players, but our long snapper has been inexcusably bad this season, especially to be on scholarship

Agreed. Terrible snaps in Syracuse and FSU games, not to mention a near-disaster snap in the Tulane game saved by Maggio making a one-handed catch.

Just saw Les Johns on Twitter note that we have a new #1 long snapper on the depth chart this week.

I assume it's the guy who subbed in against FSU.

Technically, the QB position is listed as Wolford "or" Hinton

Good point, I missed the "or" when I scanned the depth chart. My money would be on John getting the start and Kendall getting some PT, the amount of which to be determined by how effective John is. However, I'd like to see Kendall get the start if he's 100 percent.

Bassey may have better size too, which is helpful against running teams. Henderson is pretty skinny.

The QB spot listed Wolford OR Hinton. I would imagine Hinton starts unless he is less than 80%

Bassey may have better size too, which is helpful against running teams. Henderson is pretty skinny.

The QB spot listed Wolford OR Hinton. I would imagine Hinton starts unless he is less than 80%

Yeah, he just needs to play disciplined and stick to his assignment. The corners need to provide run support against the option, but they can't let one of Army's receivers get loose downfield and let them hit a big pass play which they will probably try maybe a handful of times.

Good point, I missed the "or" when I scanned the depth chart. My money would be on John getting the start and Kendall getting some PT, the amount of which to be determined by how effective John is. However, I'd like to see Kendall get the start if he's 100 percent.

Clawson said absolutely Hinton would start if he's 100%. If he doesn't start, we can assume he's not [100%].

Was Garrett Wilson the long snapper who botched the snaps against Cuse and FSU?

The current LS at the top of the depth chart is a true frosh from Wisconsin, Dayton Diemel. Is he on scholarship or a walk-on? It appears that Garrett Wilson, who's a sophomore, has a ship. BTW, there's a third LS on the roster, Chase Wilson. In 2014, Chase Wilson snapped with no issues 28 times, but Garrett Wilson beat him out in 2015.

Diemel has an interesting bio. Doubt we've had many long snappers who scored 25 TDs in HS.

High School
Three-year letterman as a running back and long snapper at Hudson High ... Helped the Raiders to the state semifinals in 2013 and the quarterfinals in 2014 ... Played for coach Adam Knowles ... Twice earned all-conference honors at running back ... Three-time academic all-conference selection ... Rushed for over 2,000 yards during his career including 25 touchdowns ... Three-year starter at long snapper.

Didn't realize he downed the ball at the 1 on this punt.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BLmW4OvDkyw/

Last edited:
Wake is only a 6.5 point favorite over Army.
I expect to win by much more than a TD

Wake is only a 6.5 point favorite over Army.
I expect to win by much more than a TD

The game scares me. Army completely barfed on itself against N. Texas with 7 turnovers. Don't think that they will do that again.

Army's defense is actually pretty stout. Until the North Texas turnover debacle they have held all their opponents to less than their average yards and point totals, including holding Temple and Duke to 13 and 14. Like that WF has had 2 weeks to prepare for the option, but it still is a pain in the arse to defend. Also, I am concerned that WF may go back to rotating QBs which hurts both Hinton and Wolford. Like last year, I can see this as an ugly low-scoring game that is decided by a late mistake. Hope to be wrong, but think this will be a sweat.

The game scares me. Army completely barfed on itself against N. Texas with 7 turnovers. Don't think that they will do that again.

Army's defense is actually pretty stout. Until the North Texas turnover debacle they have held all their opponents to less than their average yards and point totals, including holding Temple and Duke to 13 and 14. Like that WF has had 2 weeks to prepare for the option, but it still is a pain in the arse to defend. Also, I am concerned that WF may go back to rotating QBs which hurts both Hinton and Wolford. Like last year, I can see this as an ugly low-scoring game that is decided by a late mistake. Hope to be wrong, but think this will be a sweat.

I can't disagree.
Also glad we had the extra week to heal up and prepare.
Even if it's ugly, I'll take the win.

I feel the best about this game that I have felt all year against team's not named Delaware or Tulane.

They run the ball and we stop teams from running the ball.

I expect a double digit victory.

I feel the best about this game that I have felt all year against team's not named Delaware or Tulane.

They run the ball and we stop teams from running the ball.

I expect a double digit victory.

I completely agree, which is why I am very worried that the Deacs are only favored by 6.5. I am waiting on some line movement to make me feel better.

Haven't we covered every game except Tulane and State? Seems like we are a good bet against a floundering team on Homecoming.

I don't feel good about this one. Coming off a bye week if we get behind army early it will be tough to catch up given their style of play. we also seem to beat them by 3 points every year, so this seems like a game where the ball bounces their way. Hope like crazy I'm wrong

Last edited:
We'll win a hard fought game against the cadets like we always do. 20-10 Deacs.

Back