• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Hoops ranked #101....sobering

I'm interested in how this is a newsflash. We've been around this spot for the past three years. Finished 118 in KP last year.

It'll be interesting to see where we are in the preseason KPs. Last year we were overrated at start out at 59. It'd be nice to consistently stay in the top 75 this season.

How was Pitino failing to monitor while multiple UNC coaches aren't responsible for their athletes shuttling through a phony curriculum for 2 decades? Seems fair.

How was Pitino failing to monitor while multiple UNC coaches aren't responsible for their athletes shuttling through a phony curriculum for 2 decades? Seems fair.

Hard to say since UNC hasn't received their sentence yet.

I'm interested in how this is a newsflash. We've been around this spot for the past three years. Finished 118 in KP last year.

It'll be interesting to see where we are in the preseason KPs. Last year we were overrated at start out at 59. It'd be nice to consistently stay in the top 75 this season.

It's like people forget from year to year how bad we have been. We went 2-16 in the ACC last year.

Monmouth and Princeton were legitimately good. We have been legitimately bad historically from an ACC standpoint.

Hopefully that changes this year, although the ACC is loaded this season again, so that may be a tall task.

It's like people forget from year to year how bad we have been. We went 2-16 in the ACC last year.

Monmouth and Princeton were legitimately good. We have been legitimately bad historically from an ACC standpoint.

Hopefully that changes this year, although the ACC is loaded this season again, so that may be a tall task.

Agree. As someone said, just shut up and win. Not sure Wake should really be respected too much until they start winning again.

Coach Danny is improving this club a little bit each year. Cant wait to see what is in store for this year.

AND have a player say he was ineligible for a national championship season in an ESPN national interview with corroboration from the person who helped him cheat.

I expect this team to be more talented than the past 6 years, but also inconsistent. I love our Sophs, but they will be mostly playing with transfers and other young guys, which will mean turnovers and streaky play. Nobody likes the age excuse and it seems like we are #foreveryoung, but this year, it's especially true. It turns out when your former coach completely negates an entire class worth of recruiting, it can hurt you down the road.

With that said, inconsistent would be an upgrade from consistently bad. I think we have the talent to pull a couple upsets, we just need to start doing it. It starts with learning to play the last 5 minutes of games. Whether we have a lead or are trailing, we have been atrocious at closing out games. When we're ahead, we look slack, make unforced errors, and cannot convert at the FT line. When we're behind, we completely break down and stop running offenses. It becomes a 1 on 1, 5 second game that very few teams in the country can pull off.

Hopefully Woods and Arians can help out in both cases by being reliable free throw shooters at the end of games when we're ahead, and providing B Craw with some options to kick out to when we're behind. Too many times last year B Craw took it upon himself to make up late game deficits all on his own. I love the killer instinct and think the kid has the clutch gene, but he needs help opening up the defense; which I'm hoping Arians and Woods will be able to do.

I think we have the look of a big time team. We have good size, some experience, shooters and fairly athletic. If we can play defense at least we should be more fun to watch. Feel like we should exceed expectations if we stay healthy.

We will be a much better team. Whether our record shows significant improvement is another matter. The ACC is incredibly tough this year.

We will be a much better team. Whether our record shows significant improvement is another matter. The ACC is incredibly tough this year.

This is basketball, not football. If we're a much better team we will win many more games. The loser mentality has really dug in those roots...

We've been so damn bad that it's easy to forget how completely routine upsets are in college basketball. Unless you are just awful. Like we've been.

Let us not forget that we were ranked in the mid 200s a few years back too. I view preseason rankings like recruiting player rankings. 1-50 are typically "can't miss" P5 caliber players. 50-150 is a crap shoot in my opinion. We could end the season in the top 50 or 200th but this early ranking means zilch.

Let us not forget that we were ranked in the mid 200s a few years back too. I view preseason rankings like recruiting player rankings. 1-50 are typically "can't miss" P5 caliber players. 50-150 is a crap shoot in my opinion. We could end the season in the top 50 or 200th but this early ranking means zilch.

Mmmm this isn't really true, especially for ACC schools. We should hardly ever be outside the top 100 in basketball, and we haven't gotten out since 2010. That's woefully bad.

LOWF MENTALITY.

Mmmm this isn't really true, especially for ACC schools. We should hardly ever be outside the top 100 in basketball, and we haven't gotten out since 2010. That's woefully bad.

LOWF MENTALITY.

We shouldn't be outside of the top 100 in basketball, I agree, but the last 6 years happened, so here we are. I still don't hold much merit in this ranking. Like I said, we could end the season in the top 50, so I'm not trying to be LOWF.

That's not a "loser mentality". It's about the reality of the ACC being stronger.

We will be a better team. We will shoot better. Player better D and should rebound better.

Nope. If we're better we'll win a lot more than 2 ACC games. The conference is strong, not full of NBA teams.

I think we'll win more than two ACC games, but let's see how the entire season goes.

I think we're turning the corner, but it's not as simple as you portray it.

If we'd gone 8-8 in conference last year, I'd get your point.

But we won 2 damn games. There's no amount of significant improvement that doesn't result in a significant win increase this year. There just isn't.

Nope. If we're better we'll win a lot more than 2 ACC games. The conference is strong, not full of NBA teams.

If we'd gone 8-8 in conference last year, I'd get your point.

But we won 2 damn games. There's no amount of significant improvement that doesn't result in a significant win increase this year. There just isn't.

How many conferences games do you think that we'll win this year? What constitutes significant improvement in your opinion?

Back