• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bowl projections

That's exactly what I said.

No, it's not. I read your post and didn't realize you meant UNC, VT, and Wake in that order of preference. I took your post to mean that, in your opinion, there are three schools that are realistic possibilities for Charlotte. Period. I didn't infer anything else. Had you even written, "...UNC, VT, THEN Wake...", you would have greatly reduced the likelihood of any misunderstanding.

You should try to think about the wording of your posts more from the reader's perspective. That way other posters will be more likely to gain from your points of view relative to all things, sporting, political, and otherwise.

we ended up staying at the Omni, which unbeknownst to us was the UConn team hotel. they were getting ready to have a big reception for the team in the lobby after the game and all their fans were waiting there when we got out of the elevator from the garage decked out in Wake gear. definitely had some dirty looks and words thrown our way as we tried to check in.

How DARE you stay at "their" hotel.

It is often written that bowl games don't want to take Wake Forest because we don't travel well. Having attended several Wake Forest bowl games in the past decade, I thought this might be incorrect, so I decided to examine the numbers. I looked at the 3 bowl games from 2007-2008 (Orange, Car Care, and Eagle Bank), since Wake was playing quite well those years. I then looked at the past 10 years at those same bowls (2006-2015). Here are the results:

2007 Orange Bowl, Wake v Louisville. 74,470 fans attended this game. In the past 10 years, this is the second highest attendance, surpassed only by FSU v Penn State (77,773) in 2006.
2007 Car Care Bowl, Wake v UConn. 53,126 fans attended this game. In the past 10 years, this is the second highest attendance, surpassed only by UNC v WVU (73,712) in 2008.
2008 Eagle Bank Bowl, Wake v Navy. 28,777 fans attended this game. In the 5 years after Wake competed in this bowl*, this is the second highest attendance, surpassed only by Maryland v East Carolina (38,062) in 2010 (* only 5 years were included because in 2013 the bowl game changed sites)

While Wake is the smallest P5 school in terms of attendance, the numbers show that good Wake teams draw well in bowl games.

There's no way in hell there were 74,470 at the Orange Bowl. But I don't think we possibly could've done more in terms of the fans we took to that one

There's no way in hell there were 74,470 at the Orange Bowl. But I don't think we possibly could've done more in terms of the fans we took to that one

Are you suggesting that the Orange Bowl inflated the numbers for the Wake v Louisville game, but that they reported accurate numbers every other year?

Agree that the WF doesn't travel well claim doesn't really fly with bowl selection committees. WF has travelled reasonably well during past bowls, and WF hasn't bowled in 5 years which usually leads to increased interest. Also, the ACC and WF have never backed down from the bowl's ticket guarantees which is really the key for the bowls concerns about ticket revenues. The reason why WF may not be at the top of the bowl selection committees is TV ratings. The bowls want the highest possible TV ratings, which is why bowls always want Miami even though their fans don't travel at all (who would leave Miami to go see a game in El Paso or Shreveport?). Miami draws eyes. Guessing that WF is not super-high on the list of teams that will draw a TV audience.

Are you suggesting that the Orange Bowl inflated the numbers for the Wake v Louisville game, but that they reported accurate numbers every other year?

Yeah, I suppose this is a fair point. But I'd be very surprised if more fans attended our game than Clemson-Ohio State a few years back, for example.

The other highest figure was a year before so maybe they report their attendance more accurately these days

Yeah, I suppose this is a fair point. But I'd be very surprised if more fans attended our game than Clemson-Ohio State a few years back, for example.

The other highest figure was a year before so maybe they report their attendance more accurately these days

Clemson v Ohio State had 72,080. If you think something changed in the ability of the Orange Bowl staff to accurately count attendance starting in 2007, then you could look back at the 2000 game, in which #5 Alabama played #8 Michigan and attendance was 70,461.

The entire game is available on YouTube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96UnXdT8Qdk I suggest looking at 6:25 during the National Anthem, 6:58, or 1:18:28 for shots of the crowd. I also suggest watching 9:25 (Wake intro) and 10:40 (coin toss), just because.

No, it's not. I read your post and didn't realize you meant UNC, VT, and Wake in that order of preference. I took your post to mean that, in your opinion, there are three schools that are realistic possibilities for Charlotte. Period. I didn't infer anything else. Had you even written, "...UNC, VT, THEN Wake...", you would have greatly reduced the likelihood of any misunderstanding.

You should try to think about the wording of your posts more from the reader's perspective. That way other posters will be more likely to gain from your points of view relative to all things, sporting, political, and otherwise.

When someone gives a "Top 3" list, it almost always means the top 3 options in order out of any number of other options. Maybe you need to read better instead of lashing out.

Oh man, I really want to audit one of Ph's Sociology classes and get him to parse his statements for me.

When someone gives a "Top 3" list, it almost always means the top 3 options in order out of any number of other options. Maybe you need to read better instead of lashing out.

If you are arrogant enough to believe that if someone misses the intended meaning of your post it's their fault, then I have nothing to add to the conversation. Carry on.

I would think Wake fans would travel relatively well for bowl games considering we don't have the opportunity to go to one very often. Maybe that is just the ultra-optimistic point of view though.

Admittedly some of the shots of the '07 OB crowd look better than I remember from being there.

I do remember there being a shot of all the Wake fans that were in the upper deck holding up 5 fingers at the start of the 4th, with empty sections next to them. Can't find it at the minute but that's jarred in my brain.

Either way, if some of the evidence to back I don't completely buy (and he did likely conveniently leave out 2011) I do agree with Rafi's overall conclusion -- we do travel way better than our reputation

If you are arrogant enough to believe that if someone misses the intended meaning of your post it's their fault, then I have nothing to add to the conversation. Carry on.

I'm trying to remember a time I interpreted your post differently than you intended and you said, "My bad. I'll say it clearer next time."

You made a mistake. Accept it, move on, and try not to do it again. You have to be the only person who thought I said Charlotte could possibly want Wake over UNC or VT.

Shorty, have you every seen somebody present a list as a "Top 10 list (in no particular order)?" That's because a Top 10 list implies order unless you state otherwise. That's why when recruits don't say their Top 7 list is in no specific order, people wonder if it is in order.

Last edited:
ACC
I don't think UNC-CH and VT are realistic options for the Belk Bowl at this point.

Also UNC-CH played in Charlotte twice last year against USC and Clemson. Also played in the Belk Bowl three years ago.Ga Tech becomes bowl eligible with a win over Virginia. Pitt needs to beat Syracuse or Duke. They don't want Miami.

UNC plays before 50-60K or so in Chapel Hill 6-7 times a year, and Charlotte is an enclave of Holedom, both the alumni and WalMart variety. So no big deal for the Belk crowd to choose them again.

It will be interesting to see what bowl reps come to our last two home games. I am assuming that bowls still send reps to watch potential teams play and get wined and dined. I remember the Orange Bowl reps attended a couple of Wake games in 2006.

UNC plays before 50-60K or so in Chapel Hill 6-7 times a year, and Charlotte is an enclave of Holedom, both the alumni and WalMart variety. So no big deal for the Belk crowd to choose them again.

Maybe so, but the school may push for an alternate destination.

ESPN national guys have us going to the Sun Bowl in El Paso to play Stanford. The ACC bloggers have us going to NYC to play Northwestern.

Stanford in El Paso would be great.

Back