• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bowl projections

OK, will spell it out for you:

a) You pasted a listing of median (not average, BTW, there is a difference) head coaches salaries by conference.
b) The highest median HC salary on your list was the SEC coaches;
c) Fifth on the list is the ACC coaches;
d) Your obtuse comment was "ACC lowest paid on average by $1.5 mill per coach in Power 5 to top conference. If so good, need to step it up!"

Despite the denial, your post openly compared the ACC to the SEC, and offered the misplaced comment that by overpaying for the likes of Les Miles, Will Muschamp, Mark Stoops, Brett Bielema, Butch Jones, cheater Hugh Freeze, the SEC was somehow stepping it up, and the ACC was not keeping up.

Wrong. One reason why the SEC has declined is that they have made several bad hires and compounded the bad hire with big money payouts. The ACC has stepped it up with good hires (Petrino, Fuente, Clawson, Doeren, Narduzzi, Fedora, possibly Babers) at more rational prices. That's a positive for the ACC not a negative.

By way of example, Mark Stoops would be the 4th highest paid coach in the ACC (btw, so would be the exceedingly mediocre Kliff Kingsbury). Do you consider that as Kentucky stepping up? More accurately, Kentucky is throwing away its money.

So Pilch, you aren't considering Butch Davis a cheater? Did not he just get caught at UNC? Yes, you can say cheater Hugh Freeze, but we can also say that 3 others to last get penalized probations have come from the ACC besides UNC from 2012-2014--FSU [2009-2012], GT [2011-2014] & Miami [2011-2012 self imposed bowl ban]....so don't be running on & on how lily white you think the ACC is because you just don't have the facts! Or are conveniently forgetting them. We are just playing catch up & even with cheating can't get there! We have 3 great teams right now & 1 "natty". Some of the rest are trying to get better and are doing that. VT seems to be on their way--probably have Louisville on probation soon with know 'Ridin Dirty' Petrino who fits right back in with Pitino!

vs SC [2012-2014], LSU [2011], UT [2013-2014] & Bama [2009-2011]

Meanwhile in the past 10 years it is SEC 8 titles, ACC 1 title & Big Ten 1. No wonder they deserve the higher salaries. So despite your denial, they are worth every penny and I would say [maybe you wouldn't] that just by bowl game records in the past 2 years, going 9-2 & 'only' 7-5 the prior year, say what you want but the overpaid West was 7-1, meanwhile the ACC was 4-6 [worst of Power 5 @ .400] & 4-7 [4th out of 5].

Last edited:
So Pilch, you aren't considering Butch Davis a cheater? Did not he just get caught at UNC? Yes, you can say cheater Hugh Freeze, but we can also say that 3 others to last get penalized probations have come from the ACC besides UNC from 2012-2014--FSU [2009-2012], GT [2011-2014] & Miami [2011-2012 self imposed bowl ban]....so don't be running on & on how lily white you think the ACC is because you just don't have the facts! Or are conveniently forgetting them. We are just playing catch up & even with cheating can't get there! We have 3 great teams right now & 1 "natty". Some of the rest are trying to get better and are doing that. VT seems to be on their way--probably have Louisville on probation soon with know 'Ridin Dirty' Petrino who fits right back in with Pitino!

Meanwhile in the past 10 years it is SEC 8 titles, ACC 1 title & Big Ten 1. No wonder they deserve the higher salaries. So despite your denial, they are worth every penny and I would say [maybe you wouldn't] that just by bowl game records in the past 2 years, going 9-2 & 'only' 7-5 the prior year, say what you want but the overpaid West was 7-1, meanwhile the ACC was 4-6 [worst of Power 5 @ .400] & 4-7 [4th out of 5].

The ACC has to watch salaries because while on the way to dominance in college football they have to pay excellent basketball coaches to keep their already dominate position in that major sport. Smart people look at Athletic programs in total, not how many Alabama rednecks are sitting in nose bleed sections at football games.

So, the Reff is comparing the ACC to the SEC after all. Appreciate the history lesson, but nobody is disputing that the SEC was the dominant conference a few years ago. They are not now. Deal with it. mm

So, this is all about an SEC versus ACC comparison after all.

36 teams are Bowl eligible, 23 are on deck with 5 wins. 24 teams with 4 wins. 82 spots to fill. Let's punch our ticket against the Cavs!

36 teams are Bowl eligible, 23 are on deck with 5 wins. 24 teams with 4 wins. 82 spots to fill. Let's punch our ticket against the Cavs!

I just hope the Cavs are getting weary of dropping close games & will pack it in. They are now 2-6 and after us they host Miami, are at a rejuvenated GT and finish with their annual butt-whipping at the hands of the Hokies, 13th time in a row and 17 out of 18 after this year. They hung all day with Louisville & hung with Pitt till a long pick 6 turned the game at halftime. The Cavs are very fragile so we just have to come out with guns blazing, knock them in the mouth so they will quit.

I just hope the Cavs are getting weary of dropping close games & will pack it in. They are now 2-6 and after us they host Miami, are at a rejuvenated GT and finish with their annual butt-whipping at the hands of the Hokies, 13th time in a row and 17 out of 18 after this year. They hung all day with Louisville & hung with Pitt till a long pick 6 turned the game at halftime. The Cavs are very fragile so we just have to come out with guns blazing, knock them in the mouth so they will quit.

With Wolford Reserve?

Agree with Ref. I hope that DC is weary of Wolford's play and we do not see him on the field Saturday

We were grooving with Hinton and he goes down with a non-contact injury. Now we are in legitimate danger of losing out. So WF.

Bowl projections... BOWL projections....? We looked like a pile of dogshit against Army and you people are worried about a bowl?!

I'll be impressed with one more win based upon what I saw Saturday.

images

Remind me again just how many games Wolford won since Hinton went down?

Wolford played real well at Indiana and won, plus he played well in the rain against Syracuse and we won. So that is 2 key wins we got after Hinson went down.

Wolford played real well at Indiana and won, plus he played well in the rain against Syracuse and we won. So that is 2 key wins we got after Hinson went down.
And yet the conversation on this board is largely about how we have a true warrior at QB who unfortunately happens not to be an ACC level talent, a fact which we are all aware could cost us the unthinkable, a shot at a bowl after being at 5 wins this early in the season. Hence my original point - we get someone in Hinton who more closely approximates an ACC level QB, he gets injured on a non-contact play, and now we are wondering if the unknown Kyle Kearns can save our season. I reiterate: so very WF.

so now that we are bowl eligible, how does the ACC selection (relevant to Wake) work? I know that after the Russell Athletic Bowl, that the next group of bowls (Clt, El Paso, NYC & Jax) pick at the same time in some kind of coordinated action with the league. Is there any rule other than that? I know that the 2 win rule has been eliminated, but I'm assuming that 7-5 teams have to be picked before 6-6 and 6-6 before 5-7. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks

There's no rule with respect to wins. For example, Jax doesn't want a scenario where they'd be forced to take WF over FSU.

I think the bowls in the same tier just work it out among themselves.

I saw a projection for us to go to El Paso and one to La and one to Clt. So who knows. Win two of the next three and things change radically

Last edited:
CFN has us playing Arkansas in Jacksonville. F$U in El Paso vs UCLA. These projection are worth what you pay for them.

Back