• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Chat Thread-A-Pallooza: I got two chats, one for the plug and one for the load

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm anti-religion

not maybe to the extent that numbers is where he said something like you can't be smart if you are a christian or something

but generally just don't dig

but

gospel music always always always gives me chills

i think it's the holy spirit or something

Just catching up. And yeah my hottest take probably is that if you're religious I automatically question your judgment on basically anything.

Last edited:
We have one set of king sheets for our bed. Probably need to get another set.

Have decided not to go to the art museum thing cuz museum is near fair and I don't want to deal with that shit and that's an easy excuse.

I'm escalating my devolution into an old white guy.

I'll argue it's a hot take for sure though.

If the definition of something is you have to take a leap of faith and it implicitly is not based in reason I'm gonna probably pass hard

I have one set of sheets. If I am doing laundry/washing the sheets, I am not sleeping.
If something goes terribly awry in the night and for some reason I need to strip the bed, I assume I would just wrap up in the bedspread.

Although I will caveat that overall take by saying I completely understand those in bad and in many case, hopeless, life situations are more inclined to be religious.

It's the suburbia religious folks I grew up with that really get my blood going

I'm escalating my devolution into an old white guy.

I'll argue it's a hot take for sure though.

If the definition of something is you have to take a leap of faith and it implicitly is not based in reason I'm gonna probably pass hard

Reason is relative, man.

Bogging about Wake Forest sports/believing in Wake Forest sports - fandom more generally - is irrational if you think about it.

Spirituality is distinctive for me from religion where there is a deified figure where you need a core belief to get in - for instance Jesus is the son of god.

Wake forest sports are in fact real though. They play and we all see them. I don't base my wake fanhood on them winning titles.

If you want to argue they're both cult-like if not outright cults I'm definitely in agreement on that.

Someone was asking about The Bruery beers in NC. Just got a Smokin' Wood on draft and it's pretty fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spirituality is distinctive for me from religion where there is a deified figure where you need a core belief to get in - for instance Jesus is the son of god.

Wake forest sports are in fact real though. They play and we all see them. I don't base my wake fanhood on them winning titles.

What do you mean by "get in?"

I also think you're conflating being religious with being orthodox religious.

Bob Dylan never wrote a song with better lyrics than Oh Comely

Both the church (organized and orthodoxy) as well as salvation/heaven.

I'm also of the mindset that religion has simply become mainstreamed and people claim to be part of this or that religion when they aren't actually members by the definition of the religion. Christianity is a great example - had multiple lengthy discussions with people in high school college and beyond who considered themselves to be evangelical Christian said and devout members of the church and plenty of them said they didn't believe you needed to accept Jesus as the son of god to be a Christian. I was always under the impression that was one of the sole requirements. "Be a good person and make good acts and you will go to heaven" is a normalized version of Christianity and is a great message and parable but it doesn't seem to me to be "CHRISTianity"

Perhaps it's my own misunderstanding but I've never really found a satisfactory answer on that front

I'll also admit that being told consistently by peers growing up in the south that I was on a one way ticket to hell for the first 18 years of my life didn't exactly endear me to a religious perspective

Chat Thread-A-Pallooza: I bomb atomically, chat thread philosophies and hypotheses

The way I think about religion is that all of this came from somewhere and I don't know where that somewhere is or was. The unmoved mover if you will.

Do I think that when I pray there is a man behind pearly gates listening to me. Nope. But there is a lot I don't understand about the world and maybe it does something.

I also think being raised in the Catholic Church was a good source for an ethos and it's an inherent part of my family history.

Music hot take: Holland, 1945 is a greater display of Jeff Mangum's writing talent than Oh Comely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back