• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official '16-17 NBA Thread: not with a bang but a whimper

St. Louis makes sense. They may make a play after losing the Rams. Vegas would probably be most likely unless they don't want to move two teams to the East (Memphis and New Orleans most likely).

St. Louis makes sense. They may make a play after losing the Rams. Vegas would probably be most likely unless they don't want to move two teams to the East (Memphis and New Orleans most likely).

It seems like the NBA would try to avoid Vegas even though it makes sense. Mexico City would be intriguing

I know Virginia Beach / Hampton Roads would be on the radar. They were in on the Kings quite seriously when they were considering moving, they are building a new 18k arena in next few years, and I believe a study showed Hampton Roads as the #1 most under represented market in US (1.7 million people, 0 pro teams within 150-200 miles).

Seattle has to be the next team to enter or move.

They are the #43 TV market. They aren't on the radar.

Mexico City is way above them. If anyone other than Trump were POTUS, MC would be a good choice. With anyone else in the office, arrangements for travel, customs, pay etc. could easily be negotiated. It's three hours or under to fly direct to Mexico City from about half a dozen cities. Distance is not that much of a problem for current teams. A nation of 120+M people would have a team to support. It's a good choice.

CP3 seems to be well on his way to finishing his career 2nd all time in steals and assists

Serge and Robin Lopez throwing fists.

Los Bulls just completely shit the bed and blew a 15 point lead in about 4 minutes.

Anybody seen Ed Davis on the Portland bench lately. He's got a hairstyle that screams, FEMALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PRINCIPAL

17426013_10203292438828575_3424316116563188202_n.jpg

Last edited:
so apparently things have gotten so bad at espn that adam schefter is now doing nba sideline reporting

I think LaVar is an attention whore right now, but can't disagree with a single thing he said about Lebron. Stop being such a pussy.

Also, since hockey embraces it, and since the UFC became mainstream, don't we think it's time we brought back fighting into the NBA? Not like 30 second fights like hockey, but cap it off at like 5 seconds Oakley/Barkley style. Would they lose sponsors at this point?

I mean the super teams are making the regular season suuuuuper boring

That's the most exciting thing I've seen all year

Last edited:
Very interesting article about the roles of Tinder, charter flights, and players and franchises being smarter on and off the court in lowering home court advantage over the last 20 years.
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/page/presents18969358/tinderization-today-nba

There are just some things we're smarter about these days. Nineteen-foot jumpers? Rarely a good play. If your goal is to score, it's the least efficient way to do it. Partying is the midrange jumper of nightlife. And it can get you in the headlines for all the wrong reasons.
Nets GM Sean Marks, an 11-year NBA veteran, says there's a stigma now that players can't risk.
"You don't get away with things anymore," he says. "Guys are too into their brand to risk it. Corporate sponsors won't tolerate that."
One current NBA coach notes: "[Players are] not going out to clubs anymore, acting like imbeciles. They get crushed in the media when pictures come out, then they get clowned on for 24 hours."
Says one executive who tells players to find clubs that take phones at the door: "You cannot get framed if you're not in the frame."

All of which might help explain the off-court behavior and on-court performance of an MVP front-runner this season.
In years past, the analytically-minded Rockets have made it a point to show James Harden the career trajectories of similar statistical comps at the end of every season. Names like LeBron James and Kobe Bryant have appeared on the list. But so have two other NBA stars -- Steve Francis and Gilbert Arenas -- who, it has been widely reported, didn't take their games as seriously. Both playmaking guards were three-time All-Stars by age 25, like Harden. Both playmaking guards finished their last NBA game at age 30.
Type Harden's name into TMZ.com's archives, and you'll find him mentioned in at least 25 posts last season, while he dated tabloid magnet Khloe Kardashian. The distractions amounted to what Harden has called his worst year ever (even if he did post career-best numbers).
"If you do anything ... everything is on social media, it's on Instagram. People make it bigger than what it really is," Harden says. "I guess it comes with it, man. It's a new day."
This season, though, we're seeing a different Harden, and it's not lost on NBA folks that his name has appeared just once on TMZ since the season began. And that lone post? It's a video of Drake making a toast during a New Year's Eve performance at Hakkasan, a nightclub in Las Vegas.
"Make some noise for my brother James Harden in here tonight," Drake urged a crowd of screaming fans. "My brother scored 53 with 16 [rebounds] and 17 [assists]. ... It's just that type of night."
Except it wasn't, of course, not for Harden. He was offstage and out of the limelight. He didn't step forward. In fact, he might very well have gone home early. The next game, Harden produced another triple-double, helping the surging Rockets notch another win.
A day later, across the country, Purple grabbed his phone and posted another photo to his Instagram. It was a picture of him walking a celebrity couple into the LIV nightclub for the New Year's Eve party.
The couple?
Khloe Kardashian and, finishing off a road trip, Cavs center Tristan Thompson.

Rondae Hollis Jefferson has 10 rebounds and 0 points in the first half. That has to be a rare stat.

Devin Booker the 3rd youngest NBA player to score 50 points in a game. That kid is going to be really good.

Back